Official Premier League 2020/21 Thread

TheEnchanter

10 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

there was sufficient time between the handball and goal for it to not be a consideration. wtf 

Ridiculous really. Whether Kane meant it or not the handball enabled him to go past the keeper and set up Bale to score. 

3 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

no excuse for having a bad season in that team, he's just not good enough for them anymore 

Mane hasn't had a great season, is he not good enough at that level either? 

His form has dipped, happens to some players, might be something in his personal life affecting his game, who knows. Bit early to write him off. 

27 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

West Ham finish 2 points off the champions league. Wow. 

They will be rightly thrilled to be in the Europa League next season but jeez...one win away! 

Moyes for manager of the year IMO

I expected them to tail off a bit to be honest. Thought they might finish 7th-9th. 

To keep up the form with no striker of note is some achievement. Be tough for them to maintain it next season. 

27 minutes ago, SiJ said:

On the back of one bad season?

He was one of their best players up until this season.

I’ve just never seen him at that level. His decision making has always been poor, his dribbling is poor, his whole end product isn’t great. 

Looking at city, each individual oozes class, all are so elegant like 

I just don’t see Sterling in that category 

I think he would look extremely average in any other side 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I’ve just never seen him at that level. His decision making has always been poor, his dribbling is poor, his whole end product isn’t great. 

20 league goals last season, 17 and 18 the two seasons before that.

Shocking end product.

25 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

His form has dipped big time this year. He played a huge part in their previous title wins.

IMO his team mates mask his weaknesses. Yeah he got 20 goals last year....I hate being cliche but let’s be honest, the majority are put on a plate for him 

How many does he engineer himself? I can’t recall one moment in history where Sterling beat 2-3 men and bent one in the top corner 

Mahrez, KDB etc seem to do it every week. 

He’s good, but he’s not City good

Edited by FreshOwl

3 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

IMO his team mates mask his weaknesses. Yeah he got 20 goals last year....I hate being cliche but let’s be honest, the majority are put on a plate for him 

How many does he engineer himself? I can’t recall one moment in history where Sterling beat 2-3 men and bent one in the top corner 

Pep and City could have anyone they want. They continue to go with Sterling. 

12 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

De Bruyne is one of the best players in the world. 

Mahrez has been fantastic this season, as said Sterling's form has dipped.

Mahrez has 39 goals in 140 appearances for City

Sterling has 114 in 290. 

Mahrez will have to go some to match Sterling's return to date. 

49 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Good grief.

The guy has been a pivotal player under Pep.

Your argument is akin to Pep only being a great manager because he manages great players.

If you took any top player and put them in a lesser team, they would not be at the same level. Playing with better players inevitably brings more out of you.

Edited by SiJ

57 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

no excuse for having a bad season in that team, he's just not good enough for them anymore 

So they should have binned off half their side last season lol

Funny how Klopp is whinging about their defensive injuries costing them.

They've only conceded 9 more goals this season than last, 7 of them being in 1 game at Villa with Van Dijk and Gomez both playing - but they've managed 30 fewer points. That's not down to the defence then is it? 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, alanharper said:

They've only conceded 9 more goals this season than last, 7 of them being in 1 game at Villa with Van Dijk and Gomez both playing - but they've managed 30 fewer points. That's not down to the defence then is it? 

No.

The fact is, they didn't handle the injuries well.

They also waited until the last minute to bring in some new CBs, one from Preston and the other from rock bottom Schalke.

Their squad lacks genuine depth and for a third of a season Klopp didn't use what he had particularly well.

No excuses for losing at home to Burnley, Brighton and Fulham.

38 minutes ago, alanharper said:

19 minutes ago, SiJ said:

No.

They also waited until the last minute to bring in some new CBs, one from Preston and the other from rock bottom Schalke.

Their squad lacks genuine depth and for a third of a season Klopp didn't use what he had particularly well.

I think the defensive injuries meant that Alexander-Arnold and Robertson had to defend more as they couldn't rely on their CB's as much which does impact their attacking play.

Think Klopp is overstating the impact somewhat though - Liverpool were top of the league after 16 games and the defensive injuries had already happened before that.

Phillips has done a decent job at the back in the run in but initially as you say, Klopp showed now faith in him, going with midfielders at the back before as you say, panicking late in in the January window on 2 defenders who are no better than Phillips.

They shouldn't be losing at home to the clubs you mention without scoring, regardless of who is playing in defence. 

41 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

How come Leicester don’t qualify for CL when City or Chelsea win it & one of them  qualifies as holders? 

I think there’s a rule that no country can provide more than four teams. Might be wrong though so happy to be corrected.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

No.

He insisted on playing a high energy game with the same players non stop for 2 seasons. No wonder their performance levels dropped leading to results like losing to Burnley. Fatigue sets in and their momentum stopped. And Firiminos lack of goals was exposed.

He also didnt add to the squad till it was too late. If Salah or Mane goes in the summer I dont see a title bid next year.

Shame

• Like 1
  • Haha 1