Penny and Van Aken

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

I thought our left side was weaker than our right.

But van Aken did decent once he settled.

Penney did give the ball away a lot (hence him being replaced I assume).
He did ok. If he can develop he'll have a part to play, but probably of any position in the squad it's his that i feel like we need to strengthen.
Sorry i that wee wees on anyones joyous parade. I'm not saying drop him, just that we probably need better if we're to compete at the top end.

I agree mate. Penney let himself down at least three times by diving in and allowing his man a free run. It allowed Cardiff to sling a couple of good crosses in. Also, they played a really simple pass between VA and Penney to put one of their guys clean thru in our box. However, they both improved as the game went on, VA the better of the two for me and all attacks dried up on their side. They should both start our next league game for me.

• Like 2

Remain to be convinced by either player, but certainly contributed to a good team effort today.  Both did enough to start next match, but I feel Reach might end up as first choice LWB, regardless of the talk about him playing more in a central role.  Assuming we continue to play in a 3 at the back, I wouldn’t be surprised if Monk looked for a left sided loan signing with a bit more pace.

Van Aken looks like he’s been locked in the gym for 2 years. To be fair he looked more robust in the game up at Sunderland under Jos but hurt his ankle. Prior to that he played centrally in a 3 at Wigan and wasn’t commanding enough, but playing on the left side seems to suit him and take the pressure off a bit, allowing him to play a bit more.

• Like 1

I thought they struggled in the first half hour, but stuck to the task at least. Van Aken seemed to be picking up Moore early on, which is understandable given his height, but Lees ultimately had a better time of it marking him.

Still, 2nd half, I thought Van Aken was pretty solid, and is possibly more comfortable on the ball than Börner is in that position.

Penney also certainly looked more assured defensively 2nd half, and got forward much more too, though I did think his deliveries were poor. Too flat mostly. That was my main disappointment today actually, but it just didn't quite seem his day. There does seem to be a genuine thoughtful intent behind his deliveries - he doesn't just hit and hope - but the execution wasn't there. I hope he retains his place though because I think he can be a good player for us.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

I thought Penney was a bit off his game today actually. He will get chances this season though.

Van Aken was superb. Only one game but looked much more comfortable than Borner does in a back three. Starting to get decent competition for places.

6 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

Although a quieter game from Penney today, he gives the team a better balance on the left. A proper wing back. Also prefer Harris on the right too.

I wonder if monks got fed up of seeing me complaining about my hatred of inverted wide players. lol

I said last night I was hoping we'd play Harris right and penney left. 

It makes the speed of attacks and the ball in so much quicker instead of our usual 

Stop play dead........ 

Cut inside... 

Whip an inswinging cross into the goalkeepers arms.. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, malek said:

Somehow I feel that great defensive work and non stop bombing up and down the pitch that Penney did got a bit Un noticed. Run himself into ground, very comparable with Fox who spent most of the game in our half. 

I agree, think we need to manage that workload carefully. Early stages of season so no wonder he looked a bit spent by time he came off. I’m glad we have options at wingback as they’re getting plenty of miles in. 

Really hope we don’t burn out the lad and assume because he’s young he can play twice a week doing that! 

JVA - thought he struggled with the strength of the Cardiff strikers. That said he was part of a team that kept a clean sheet against last season’s 5th place side, so his inclusion clearly worked. I don’t think he will keep Borner out but it would be great to have two lefties pushing each other for that role.

Penney - Superb last week, poor yesterday. I thought he looked out of his depth. Worked really hard, but lacked quality. If you compare the defensive work of Harris and Penney yesterday one looked every inch a WB and it was Harris. Absolutely too soon to say (especially as ifollow froze after 55 mins). Delighted we played a left-footer on the left. I hope we’ll see the higher quality Reach there very soon, and that Penney pushes him really hard all season.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

By "kept giving away", you mean twice?

TBF I thought he looked clumsy, as he did in his first spell of games for us.

You’ll recall those scary mis-timed and ill-judged tackles he made in that spell, giving away very dangerous free-kicks. Let’s hope he has worked on that side of his game this past year, and that Monk’s team are on it.

• Like 1

Thought both did ok yesterday in a hard working team effort. I had the cardiff commentary on and they said penney had been excellent as he was subbed. They did also say if you're a Wednesday fan you'd be worried about where the goals are going to come from this season and I just thought that was an odd comment being 2 nil down at home 😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steve Down South said:

Remain to be convinced by either player, but certainly contributed to a good team effort today.  Both did enough to start next match, but I feel Reach might end up as first choice LWB, regardless of the talk about him playing more in a central role.  Assuming we continue to play in a 3 at the back, I wouldn’t be surprised if Monk looked for a left sided loan signing with a bit more pace.

I’d rather persevere with penny for the next few weeks . Reach is consistently dreadful week in week out, we need better 

• Love 1

11 hours ago, Spondon Owl said:

That little dink over the top toward the end of the game that was just a little too long for kachunga was a treat. Hits them occasionally and youve got some really attacking intent direct from the back.

However, key thing with joost is he needs to keep his eye on his defensive duties (as per today). He wasn't physically over awed by roofe who is, in my opinion, a useless poo house. That was a really pleasing part for me. Lees, van a and iorfa handled all the big lads with relative ease. 

Mention for Tom Lees too (not on thread i realise) - arm band taken away but put in a commanding display again today. 

when on the ball it is the job of defenders to firstly secure safe possession, then to look to supply our attack with an early ball if possible. 

we've had far, far too much of the 'take all day' approach, all it did was allow the opposition time to set it's defence, and offer them the opportunity to rob us in a dangerous place.

look to pass YES, but not to pass just for the sake of it, we should pass the ball to improve our position on the field of play, and supply our attack, not so we can count up the number of passes made in the 90 minutes.