Think the system suits him,  Borner seems to have lost his way , definite chance for JVA to reinvent himself in a Wednesday shirt now

he must have thought his career here was over, looking forward to seeing if he can be consistent 

• Like 5
Just now, S72 Owl said:

Although a quieter game from Penney today, he gives the team a better balance on the left. A proper wing back. Also prefer Harris on the right too.

Even if he can a bit shaky in defence (Penney). I think he will get the nod because he offers so much more going forward than our other options at LWB 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Agree with the Op.  

I know we have lost a fair amount of players over the summer, but we have gained two players in Penney and Van Aken. 

Think both players will become key players for us this season.  

• Like 5

I was dreading it when saw his name in the lineup. But it's a good sign he did well, should take a lot of confidence from this too.

Maybe it won't turn out such an awful waste of money signing after all.

I thought our left side was weaker than our right.

But van Aken did decent once he settled.

Penney did give the ball away a lot (hence him being replaced I assume).
He did ok. If he can develop he'll have a part to play, but probably of any position in the squad it's his that i feel like we need to strengthen.
Sorry i that wee wees on anyones joyous parade. I'm not saying drop him, just that we probably need better if we're to compete at the top end.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Both were poor in the first half. Penney looked a bit lost and got caught out a couple of times. Van Aken kept giving away soft fouls. First league game of the season so can understand them being rusty. 

Second half both looked solid and more aggressive. 

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Owly Mowly said:

Really pleased with Van Aken. Looked dodgy first 10 mins - second half he stepped out many times to win the ball and was excellent in the air. 
Played a couple of quick passes forward too - let’s hope he turns out to be a good signing afte all 

That little dink over the top toward the end of the game that was just a little too long for kachunga was a treat. Hits them occasionally and youve got some really attacking intent direct from the back.

However, key thing with joost is he needs to keep his eye on his defensive duties (as per today). He wasn't physically over awed by roofe who is, in my opinion, a useless poo house. That was a really pleasing part for me. Lees, van a and iorfa handled all the big lads with relative ease. 

Mention for Tom Lees too (not on thread i realise) - arm band taken away but put in a commanding display again today. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Penney is gonna be some player for us I feel, not great today but needs a run of games, van aken well there is a player in there somewhere again needs a run of games before we can judge him again 

• Like 1