Garry Monk

10 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Very happy for the win, don't get me wrong, but..

I'm looking at the way we played. It worked for that game, but it's not something that'll work every week.

There were periods, especially in the 2nd half, where we would have been better off keeping the ball, and taking more control of things. We didn't tho.

Instead we continue to launch it long and generally turned the ball over (tho Kachunga did some great solo work when he came on!)

If you look back at last season, Monk's early games were similar to this on. Very low possession, catching teams on the counter etc.

We got found out at xmas tho.. and it disintegrated even further after the break.

We need to show we can play another way else I fear we're just going to fall into the same trap as last season.. and with -12 that's not going to end well this time.

I'd agree with the majority of what you said there. I said at HT that Although we'd scored twice, out ball retention was poor, and we constantly gave away fouls which allowed them to put the ball in our box. Against better teams we'll get punnished for it so we have to fins a way of managing possession much better than we did. 

I will say though, that was a game we'd have lost last year and we might have lost a two goal lead whereas this time they never really layed a glove on us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Monk’s selection box from the players didn’t include a Mars bar so he blamed Westwood and Hutchinson for his failure to have the opportunity to Work, Rest and Play? Monkmanface

That makes sense, why could they not just sellotape a mars bar to his selection box? Dont blame him at all now. I would have got the munk on too

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Monk’s selection box from the players didn’t include a Mars bar so he blamed Westwood and Hutchinson for his failure to have the opportunity to Work, Rest and Play? Monkmanface

You have to be ITK and funnily enough pro monk to know what really happened at Christmas  

Had a solid couple of years off Owlstalk due to new job and being busy etc. Now i'm bored of it and back to keeping myself amused on here.

Glad to see it's still full of the same old battles with some posters trying beat others into submission with their superior opinions.

Also glad to see some of my favourite posters still going strong.

Also enjoying the emojis 🦉

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I think we'll stay up. Although since January we had relegation form, we've had such a turnover in the squad and got new backroom staff, so for me Monk's slate is wiped clean.

We 'only' need to get 3 points more than the last relegation spot every 10 games to see us safe with a bit of wiggle room. So if we say 50 points is the total of the last relegation spot after 10 games they would expect to have ~11 points, meaning we'd have to have got 14 to be on course - which with the -12 is 2 points.

But, if the above (or a bit better) plays out, I think loads of fans will be unhappy we're not closing the gap quickly enough, when the reality is we're on course for safety.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cookeh said:

Aye, we won, and the game plan worked.

All I'm saying is we're going to need other strings to our bow as that gameplan isn't one we can rely on every week.

Unusually for this thread..we concur Cookeh! Of course it follows that I respect and value your opinions even when we disagree! 

WAWAW

• Like 2

Guest Willow Owl
4 hours ago, cookeh said:

I'm looking at the way we played. It worked for that game, but it's not something that'll work every week.

There were periods, especially in the 2nd half, where we would have been better off keeping the ball, and taking more control of things. We didn't tho.

Instead we continue to launch it long and generally turned the ball over (tho Kachunga did some great solo work when he came on!)

If you look back at last season, Monk's early games were similar to this on. Very low possession, catching teams on the counter etc.

We got found out at xmas tho.. and it disintegrated even further after the break.

We need to show we can play another way else I fear we're just going to fall into the same trap as last season.. and with -12 that's not going to end well this time.

Monk tactically was spot on against a side that finished in the play offs last year. Second half we were so comfortable and never had hardly anything to deal with. 
We will lose games as we are a work in progress, but the signs are there and Monk and his staff deserve credit for what   they have already done in a short space of time.

Why don't we just back Monk and his players and support our club?

Let's face it, we've been mostly crap for a few decades now and other than the fact that we have a big fanbase and are viewed as a "big old club" i'd say we've not got loads going for us from the outside looking in.

Ground is tired, facilities look tired, massive weight of expectation, running of the club seems strange at times. 

Just back what we've got and enjoy the ride.

• Like 1

On 14/09/2020 at 13:46, cookeh said:

We didnt get 'found out' mate  with respect,we got found out(as an example) under Howard with our long ball game,sides adapted,and outworked & out muscled us,sometimes picked bigger defenders,or simply packed there box.

Sides didnt play against our 'systym' and outhink us,..None of us have managed to suss the collective collapse of the team,reasons many have been offered....but the collapse wasnt down to superior managers,players or game tactics..we all saw why we collapsed on the pitch...OUR Players

43 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Hopefully this good form continues but I will give it a dozen games before I acclaim Monk as the new messiah.

Just as it would be unfair to jump on Monks back after a couple of losses exactly the same principle applies after the good results of the last 3 games.

Precisely why those slating him for just a couple of months form after Christmas Are now looking very very silly indeed

Owlstalk Shop

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Precisely why those slating him for just a couple of months form after Christmas Are now looking very very silly indeed

Well I must in your opinion be "very silly indeed" as I wanted him gone at the end of last season.

The reason I wanted him gone was that for 5 months I saw some of the most inept clueless performances I have witnessed from Wednesday in a long time.

You are making a big deal about what went off at Xmas and using as an excuse for the turgid rubbish we saw. If something did go off at Xmas  it's the manager job to cope with it and work around it. We had enough quality to compete better than we did.

For balance I have always stated that the decision to bring in Monk without any backroom staff was criminal but doesn't excuse our truly dreadful performances.