Garry Monk

15 minutes ago, RockieOwl said:

A lot of people saw what Monk was up against but the form after Christmas was so so bad. I wanted to give him time, a summer, but the constant collapses and hammerings, lack of goals at home in particular (blackburn have still scored the same as us at Hillsborough this year) made that really difficult and at the end of the season I had enough and wanted him gone. But he's not gone and will give him and his new coaching staff time.

Yesterday was one game though. Just one game and whilst I celebrated it like any other win, I'm not getting carried away because we have had good wins last season too, Bristol City and QPR but we then reverted back to the awful performances we are used to this year. I have seen someone say if we lost yesterday then the one game excuse wouldn't apply but that's because losing is not a rare occurrence like winning is.

However If we lose to Watford I won't be on his back straight away. I will give him time. I believe he did good jobs at Leeds and Birmingham and seems to have a good record at finding good players. I think part of the reason Leeds are where they are is because of the players Monk brought in. But he needs a good start overall in 10 games. Relegation form and still a long way from safety I will get restless. 

Owlstalk is quiet at the moment though. Have a feeling that a lot of people are keeping quiet at the moment and will jump on him if we lose next week

There keeping quiet because they are looking foolish & dont want a taste of what they have been dishing out for months...

• Like 2

Guest Therealrealist
7 minutes ago, parajack said:

There keeping quiet because they are looking foolish & dont want a taste of what they have been dishing out for months...

We have drew at Walsall and won at Cardiff...let’s not get too carried away just yet

5 minutes ago, parajack said:

I'm not keeping quiet @parajack. I'm just trying to be measured in my views as there is a long long way to go. As I said in a post yesterday, I'm looking for us to be on -6 or better come the first international break. If we are then it's a decent start to the season. My main concern going forward is still defensively as we need to concede less than 60 goals to stay up this season and it concerns me that we won't do this with our current back 3 and keeper?

• Like 2

Guest Willow Owl
10 minutes ago, Jim said:

I'm not keeping quiet @parajack. I'm just trying to be measured in my views as there is a long long way to go. As I said in a post yesterday, I'm looking for us to be on -6 or better come the first international break. If we are then it's a decent start to the season. My main concern going forward is still defensively as we need to concede less than 60 goals to stay up this season and it concerns me that we won't do this with our current back 3 and keeper?

The defence / keeper have played 3 games and kept 3 clean sheets. We will concede goals and we will lose some games heavily. We are though, a team in transition and for me there seems a very different mentality to the team. 

34 minutes ago, Jim said:

I didnt include you Jim in my parody,mate..though critical at times your views have been consistent & fair...(though i dont agree) and you dont try to belittle those who disagree with you...

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

The defence / keeper have played 3 games and kept 3 clean sheets. We will concede goals and we will lose some games heavily. We are though, a team in transition and for me there seems a very different mentality to the team. 

Footy in other words...if only more could be more philosophical

14 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Man on internet trying to sound knowledgable and important klaxon 

lol

12 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Exactly

If everyone knew what went off last Christmas they back Monk 100% without question

Setting your own klaxon off over and over Neil.

Either tell us what happened, or just admit you know nowt and that you’re just making up stories.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One real game lol

We also beat Leeds last season too.... how did it pan out after that eh ?

He goes 40 odd games with a shocking record and you say we are too quick to judge him.

He wins one real game and you say he's a world beater lol

lets hope we manage some consistency, that's all i ask for. Good start though.

Edited by quinnssweetshop
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

We have drew at Walsall and won at Cardiff...let’s not get too carried away just yet

Totally agree,i was pleased with the result yesterday,but i still consider it a 'work in progress' but there was progress.Couple of times the lads lost focus and it could have cost us goals...Pleased for Dawson to keep a clean sheet,2 games on the trot,Brown looks a real player(well done Garry Monk!) & Windass another...If monk can find another 'gem' to play up front with Windass,or Beattie can make JR catch fire,we may be onto something....

You may note i am not replying with 'cheap shots' it would be nice to see a return to a more friendly form of debating..

• Like 2

Praying that we prosper this season, getting back on par with the rest of the league is critical clearly. So a win is very very welcome. I truly believe Monk is at best an average manager and certainly can’t sustain and build a promotion challenging team in the future.
After a year I’ve seen no evidence to convince me otherwise. I think the best we can expect/hope for is survival under him🤞 

I think there’s a lot of people getting a bit giddy, I can imagine the emotional switch after a couple of defeats. Keep yourselves on a level.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jim said:

If and it's a big IF Monk keeps us up then I'll give him credit of course. I remember when we won 3-0 at QPR post-lockdown with what was undoubtedly one of the best performances of last season yet we then went on to pick up just 1 point from the last 9 available and ship in 7 goals in the process.

So as they say one swallow doesn't make a summer. It was a solid performance and of course a good win and a most welcome 3 points but scoring goals and picking up points on the road wasn't a massive problem last season as the Monk gameplan is arguably suited to playing away? He'll be rightly judged on whether or not he can make us more effective at home where we have to play differently to how we do away to be successful. I mean 15 goals scored in 20 games at S6 under Monk last season that tells you where the real problem lies, does it not?

Jim there is NO crowds mate,no 'Kop' to kick towards,no roar of the crowd if we dont attack or score....your analysis is flawed mate.....Home or away,whats the difference? post Covid its a different dressing room mate,and a bit(or a lot) of travelling...thats it....Yes our home form was dire,no argument there,why? jurys out...lets see if monk sets up his team any different for home matches,personally(subject to who the opponents are,& who is available to pick) i dont think he will...

Anyway now the season has started,we wont have to wait long to see

1 hour ago, JackSWFC said:

Setting your own klaxon off over and over Neil.

Either tell us what happened, or just admit you know nowt and that you’re just making up stories.

Got to admit it is a pr*** tease.....many including me,have to look at joining the dots to get even a hint at what may be behind the S6 'issues' & second half of season collapse.Would love to 'know' rather than speculate.....On the other hand i personally find it impossible to believe that two different managers who have issues with exactly the same players,and take similar action,(dropping & sidelining) without their being a very good reason,& it not being personal.

Would be unprofessional.I dont personally believe in 'coincidences' that large....

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
3 minutes ago, slow83 said:

Praying that we prosper this season, getting back on par with the rest of the league is critical clearly. So a win is very very welcome. I truly believe Monk is at best an average manager and certainly can’t sustain and build a promotion challenging team in the future.
After a year I’ve seen no evidence to convince me otherwise. I think the best we can expect/hope for is survival under him🤞 

I think there’s a lot of people getting a bit giddy, I can imagine the emotional switch after a couple of defeats. Keep yourselves on a level.

If he had been dealt a full deck then would have agreed. Think the time to really judge Monk is this season. Now he has his own Back room team in place, the clear out of players more or less complete, his own players coming in. 
We are now a work in progress and there will be ups and downs, but showing progression is key. Hopefully people will give him the chance and not vilify him after a couple of bad results ( doubt it though).

One thing I picked up yesterday was the togetherness of the players. Absolutely crucial in our situation.

1 hour ago, quinnssweetshop said:

One real game lol

We also beat Leeds last season too.... how did it pan out after that eh ?

He goes 40 odd games with a shocking record and you say we are too quick to judge him.

He wins one real game and you say he's a world beater lol

lets hope we manage some consistency, that's all i ask for. Good start though.

His record isnt shocking after 40 odd games though is it? Bullen i believe started us off with 3 games was it?after Lord Sir 'Bruce' the saviour  ****ed off...monk took over under very limited circumstances,and coached the team to third in the Championship,pushing for an automatic promotion spot before the Xmas break...So for the first 25 games or so it was bang on target.

After Xmas,and for the second half of the season,27 games was it?something like that,we were in the main dire,and everyman and his dog agree's with that.We only differ  on the potential reasons why?

So would you like to correct yourself? His record as manager over the second half of the season,some 20+ games was shocking,but not the first 22 or 23 he was in charge....(course that lets the players off the hook,doesnt it? documenting it like that?) Got to laugh,we have the same old tired cliche's & arguments being rehashed,at the start of the new season,when we have 2 clean sheets, a win in the Cup,and a winning start to the season...says it all...

1 hour ago, parajack said:

I didnt include you Jim in my parody,mate..though critical at times your views have been consistent & fair...(though i dont agree) and you dont try to belittle those who disagree with you...

Thanks mate. I appreciate that. We all have differing views on certain subjects regarding the club we support and all opinions are valid for me. If Monk proves me wrong, I’ll admit it. It’s never been an issue for me to be proven right or wrong as I have been wrong many times and I genuinely hope I am once again on this occasion.