Garry Monk

7 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

the hardest game for some time isn't 'a decent benchmark' at all, it's the hardest pressure game for some time, that's why you're wanting it as a benchmark.

i would have thought that you might have wanted cardiff, or did you go off that one at 0-1, or 0-2?

It’s a benchmark as they will probably finish top 6. The result will also add some context to the previous results this season. 

As a Wednesday fan I just want us to win games and do well. Obviously that means I want our managers and players to do well also.

I don't get this obsession with posting reactionary things after every result though. 3 good results to start the season, great. But it doesn't have to be accompanied by "See Monk is great and doing a good job and proved all the doubters wrong", many of you saying this will be on his back if we don't win our next 3. Nor do I think it's necessary to say "Well I'm still Monk out", just wish us well?

It's like with Rhodes, whenever he scores there's always a load of posts on here about how he's back and just needs the service, you end up looking daft when he doesn't score for another 5 months.

Edited by Carbone
  • Like 3

Just now, Carbone said:

As a Wednesday fan I just want us to win games and do well. Obviously that means I want our managers and players to do well also.

I don't get this obsession with posting reactionary things after every result though. 3 good results to start the season, great. But it doesn't have to be accompanied by "See Monk is great and doing a good job and proved all the doubters wrong", many of you saying this will be on his back if we don't win our next 3. Nor do I think it's necessary to say "Well I'm still Monk out", just wish us well?

It's like with Rhodes, whenever he scores there's always a load of posts on here about how he's back and just needs the service, you end up looking daft when he doesn't score for another 5 months.

Rhodes scored just the other day mate?!!

He's BACK!

• Haha 3

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, vulva said:

It’s a benchmark as they will probably finish top 6. The result will also add some context to the previous results this season. 

the two league cup (or whatever it's called this time around) results aren't worth a bean to me, they cost you injuries and fatigue in a trophy you're not going to win.

so i'm at cardiff city 0-2, cracking result.

• Like 1

Just now, dorian gray said:

the two league cup (or whatever it's called this time around) results aren't worth a bean to me, they cost you injuries and fatigue in a trophy you're not going to win.

so i'm at cardiff city 0-2, cracking result.

Agree. Cardiff was an excellent result. I think they will finish mid table. I think Watford will finish top 6. I think we are in for a very long season. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Carbone said:

monks not great, but apart from bruce he's the best we've had for some time.

can you imagine coco handling what we have at present?

little or no money, a dozen or more new players needed?

he'd be off quicker than when we were going down under his stewardship.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vulva said:

Agree. Cardiff was an excellent result. I think they will finish mid table. I think Watford will finish top 6. I think we are in for a very long season. 

i agree on all 3 forecasts.

but our 'long season' may be shorter IF some of our fans weren't constantly turning a knife in the managers back. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I agree. We are still a long way from stopping from stopping up this season.
Still on minus 9, no strength in depth and still lack goals in the side.
Last season we beat Reading 2-0 away first game and had a retched season.

But I am a lot more optimistic then I was this time last week.

of course we are, **** me see the odds before a ball was kicked saturday.

less than half the clubs (in the division) fans would be 'optimistic' starting on -12 points, but at least (i am informed) we have a manager in place with history for pulling such a feat off before in his career.

a good many of our 'fans' wanted gray out, a very good many loved coco, some still do, what's that tell you of our fans and 'a balanced outlook on football managers'?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dorian gray said:

surely we'd hope to replace with better, or do we just want him hacking to death with no other thoughts?

Take the decision in front of you, and do it at pace. To delay through fear of taking the next decision is weakness which precedes failure.

1 minute ago, slow83 said:

Take the decision in front of you, and do it at pace. To delay through fear of taking the next decision is weakness which precedes failure.

not so.

many times in the decades i've watched football, other sides have definitely tapped up managers.

sheffield wednesday though, thinking they were being 'fair, and doing it the correct way' have released managers only to struggle to find a replacement on more than one occasion.

so my belief is IF you are removing the manager you should have an idea of who you need in as his replacement.

an ideal example would be before starting to look for a manager dc would say after coco and mr dead, 'must have knowledge of english football, must have more than one idea in his head, must not talk b0ll*x all the time'.

3 hours ago, dorian gray said:

not so.

many times in the decades i've watched football, other sides have definitely tapped up managers.

sheffield wednesday though, thinking they were being 'fair, and doing it the correct way' have released managers only to struggle to find a replacement on more than one occasion.

so my belief is IF you are removing the manager you should have an idea of who you need in as his replacement.

an ideal example would be before starting to look for a manager dc would say after coco and mr dead, 'must have knowledge of english football, must have more than one idea in his head, must not talk b0ll*x all the time'.

It’s not just relevant in football, in life decisiveness is critical. Monk won’t get us up, let’s pray he keeps us up.

14 hours ago, slow83 said:

It’s not just relevant in football, in life decisiveness is critical. Monk won’t get us up, let’s pray he keeps us up.

in the history of all football clubs, and ours especially, many more managers won't win promotion than actually will for their club.

then take into account from those that won a promotion how many fail to win another in their career despite numerous attempts afterwards. 

i would imagine one of, if not the most successful manager in championship football would be colin, but some in our support would rather have burnt our ground down.

so for you to point out 'monk won't get us up' is hardly rocket science, is it?

• Like 1

On 17/09/2020 at 16:37, Carbone said:

It kind of does have to be like that on a forum mate, or it stagnates as this one did when there wasn't any football.

Controversy and black and white opinions are the blood that runs through it's veins.

Edited by Mr Farrell