Garry Monk

4 minutes ago, vulva said:

We’ve made a strong start to the season but people are getting carried away. Had it not been for Covid, Monk would have been sacked. Long way to go, but long may this current run continue. Watford on Saturday is a decent benchmark as to where we are. 

Couldn’t agree more. Watford then Bristol will harder games 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

No he would not

I don't know why people post this as some kind of 'fact' when it was never ever on the cards

Please stop claiming this as a truth - it absolutely is NOT

OK. I’ll meet you half way. He should have been sacked. Our record from Christmas was horrendous. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, vulva said:

OK. I’ll meet you half way. He should have been sacked. Our record from Christmas was horrendous. 

Let’s put it this way - if crowds had been allowed for the entire season, he almost certainly would have been sacked. The atmosphere at Hillsborough would have been toxic and CHANSIRI would have been forced to act. At almost any other club in the land, a manager with that post-Christmas record would have lost his job and I suspect that Monk realises he’s a lucky man. 

However, he kept his job, so let’s hope it proves to be lucky not just for him but for the club as he transforms the fortunes of Wednesday. I really hope he does, but it’s too early to start getting more than cautiously optimistic after such a small number of games. If we beat Watford this weekend, my optimism monitor will rise a little bit more! 

• Like 6

Not his biggest fan but the guy was dealt a hand of sh!te when he took over.

He’s made a flawless start in both actions and words under the most difficult of circumstances so far. 

I hope he gets that bit of luck all managers need and we can bring in a couple more players with physicality and mental toughness. 

The rest is in the lap of the footy gods.......and DC.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

Let’s put it this way - if crowds had been allowed for the entire season, he almost certainly would have been sacked.   

Again  - NO - NO HE WOULD NOT

Chansiri knew the real issues at the club and knew that sacking Monk wouldn't fix those issues

In fact Monk isn't just delivering a new exciting era, he's tidying up the absolute carnage that was at our club

Just trotting things out like 'Covid saved Monk' and 'He would have been sacked' just isn't true no matter how much you hate Monk, no matter how much you want it to be true.

It just is NOT true

Get behind the manager ffs

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

No he would not

I don't know why people post this as some kind of 'fact' when it was never ever on the cards

Agree with you there, we don’t know do we although it did seem like a possibility. How do you know it was ‘never ever on the cards’ though?

5 minutes ago, slow83 said:

Agree with you there, we don’t know do we although it did seem like a possibility. How do you know it was ‘never ever on the cards’ though?

He’s doesn’t. He can’t separate the fact Monk should have been sacked and he’s done well so far this season. It’s not difficult to understand. He should have been sacked, but like most others I’m fully behind him and he deserves credit for the results this season. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Chansiri knew the real issues at the club and knew that sacking Monk wouldn't fix those issues

In fact Monk isn't just delivering a new exciting era, he's tidying up the absolute carnage that was at our club

Just trotting things out like 'Covid saved Monk' and 'He would have been sacked' just isn't true no matter how much you hate Monk, no matter how much you want it to be true.

It just is NOT true

No.    It's turgid and boring.

A draw against a 4th tier side, an unexpected win in the Championship, and a run of the mill game against another lower division side.

You really are trying FAR TOO HARD to push this.

It just is NOT true

I don’t hate Monk at all and I think I’ve made that clear. I really hope he succeeds. No amount of you shouting NO HE WOULD NOT makes you right, because unless you’re part of the clubs management structure, you have NO IDEA whether D.C. ever considered pulling the trigger or not. Most of us are behind the manager ffs. The sensible ones realise that one league win doesn’t suddenly transform us into an all conquering side. Just as defeat on Saturday won’t mean that we're on course for relegation. 

• Like 3

It just is NOT true

I take it you weren't at Brentford then, when the fans really turned on him for the first time. 

That was the last game before Covid postponed the season, had the awful form continued the vocal dissent would have grown as more and more fans had seen enough (all the Monk out polls on here were around 75% sack him) and managers just don't come back from that. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vulva said:

We’ve made a strong start to the season but people are getting carried away. Had it not been for Covid, Monk would have been sacked. Long way to go, but long may this current run continue. Watford on Saturday is a decent benchmark as to where we are. 

Unless you have a crystal ball,neither you or I,have any idea at all if Covid 19 saved Garry Monks job.On the contrary,given the new season & excellent start,the Chairman may well have had faith in Monk,to turn around the Clubs fortunes,and sort out the 'issue's' often hinted at in public,but never fully explained to the fans.Chansiri could just as easily trusted monk pre season to sort it.

Stop posting opinion (which it is) as 'fact'....cos it isnt is it?...Watford is one match,its not a 'benchmark' as you say at all...could play out of our skin & win there and mean nothing,or lose there and mean nothing...what is important is that the progression we have seen on the pitch & in the squad continues,and that the team play the full 90 minutes.

Edited by parajack

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

No he would not

Indeed, people constantly spouting opinions like they are facts!!

Just read that back and I though it said onions!!!!

SPROUTING ONIONS!

Edited by AwokenGiant

5 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I take it you weren't at Brentford then, when the fans really turned on him for the first time. 

That was the last game before Covid postponed the season, had the awful form continued the vocal dissent would have grown as more and more fans had seen enough (all the Monk out polls on here were around 75% sack him) and managers just don't come back from that. 

Monk is still here

Chansiri was never going to sack him because a few fans had short sighted views and spat their dummies out and cried like babies

Was never going to happen

Monk is still here and off to an absolute flyer

BACK HIM

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, parajack said:

Unless you have a crystal ball,neither you or I,have any idea at all if Covid 19 saved Garry Monks job.On the contrary,given the new season & excellent start,the Chairman may well have had faith in Monk,to turn around the Clubs fortunes,and sort out the 'issue's' often hinted at in public,but never fully explained to the fans.

Stop posting opinion (which it is) as 'fact'....cos it isnt is it?...

Watford is one match,its not a 'benchmark' as you say at all...could play out of our skin & win there and mean nothing,or lose there and mean nothing...what is important is that the progression we have seen on the pitch & in the squad continues,and that the team play the full 90 minutes.

4 of the next 6 league games are at home, a couple of them against mediocre sides, so that will be a decent indicator of whether we're actually progressing. The home form last season was a huge weakness. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, alanharper said:

4 of the next 6 league games are at home, a couple of them against mediocre sides, so that will be a decent indicator of whether we're actually progressing.  

It'll more be an indicator if (as it's being claimed) our fans are truly giving Monk a fair chance at the job

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, alanharper said:

4 of the next 6 league games are at home, a couple of them against mediocre sides, so that will be a decent indicator of whether we're actually progressing. The home form last season was a huge weakness. 

Agree,most of us like what we are seeing so far,on the pitch,but we will all feel more relieved when we get a few more wins on the scorecard,and a bit of belief.A big test for me,will come when we lose a game,or several games...Need to see both Monk & his coaching team be able to lift the players,and the players themselves be able to respond.

• Like 1

What people seem to forget is that saying “Monk should have been sacked “ is only , in reality, half of the issue.

To be of any benefit it needs to be followed by “ and replaced with someone who will do a better job”

I have no faith at all that DC is capable of achieving the latter

• Like 1