Garry Monk

2 minutes ago, DirtyLeedsOwl said:

...next to no money in the transfer window and he’s doing well.

This is an interesting point. Look at the players we've lost in the previous year and a bit then how we've been replacing them. So far, Monk's total spend is probably a little short of half a million. You wouldn't normally expect to be very competitive at this level like that. The early signs are positive though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

This is an interesting point. Look at the players we've lost in the previous year and a bit then how we've been replacing them. So far, Monk's total spend is probably a little short of half a million. You wouldn't normally expect to be very competitive at this level like that. The early signs are positive though.

Not just that, he’s had to convince players to join a club that start the season on -12 points over other offers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DirtyLeedsOwl said:

In fairness the anti-Monk brigade got a bit carried away last season. I said all along last season, let’s fairly judge him when he’s had a chance to bring in his own back room team, had a pre season and is allowed to shape the squad by releasing and signing the players he wants.

So far he’s had his own back room team, a little pre season of sorts and a next to no money in the transfer window and he’s doing well.

Not getting carried away but it shows the negative Monk comments of last season we’re very knee-jerk 

I dont think its knee jerk to judge a manager on his sides performance across a full season.

Anyway we have a very different set of circumstances this year so maybe he will now thrive where he didnt before.

Yes very early signs are positive but I will reserve making a judgement either positive or negative just yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NorthernOwl said:

Yes very early signs are positive but I will reserve making a judgement either positive or negative just yet.

Hang on..

Let's be reyt..

The very fact you're saying that after three games, three wins on the bounce, three clean sheets on the bounce, jordan rhodes off the mark, windass scoring for fun, liam palmer delivering killer crosses, youngsters stepping up, and an incredible team  spirit shows that you're not  reserving judgement at all

You're just hanging on until you can start slating him

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Hang on..

Let's be reyt..

The very fact you're saying that after three games, three wins on the bounce, three clean sheets on the bounce, jordan rhodes off the mark, windass scoring for fun, liam palmer delivering killer crosses, youngsters stepping up, and an incredible team  spirit shows that you're not  reserving judgement at all

You're just hanging on until you can start slating him

No you are wrong. He has a fresh start for me this season. 

I'll absolutely give him loads of praise if he keeps us up.

I just wont be rushing to a judgement after one league game. Which just seems common sense to me.

Edited by NorthernOwl
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

No you are wrong. He has a fresh start for me this season. 

I'll absolutely give him loads of praise if he keeps us up.

I just wont be rushing to a judgement after one league game. Which just seems common sense to me.

Don’t have a problem with that. Shame the anti-Monk gang forget the first half of the season when we were sat 3rd around Christmas time.

fwiw.. I can see both sides of the coin but thought it strange fans wouldn’t give Monk a bit of time and a chance to really change things before jumping on his back.

• Like 1

It’s far too early to say whether the pro-Monk or anti-Monk brigade are right.

We’ve made the third round of the league cup which we did last season and we’ve won the first league game of the season away from home which we also did last season.

Let’s see where we are mid-November before the pro-Monk brigade become the ‘I told you so’ brigade?

As for me I’m not going to make a big song and dance about it whether I’m proved right or wrong?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jim said:

It’s far too early to say whether the pro-Monk or anti-Monk brigade are right.

We’ve made the third round of the league cup which we did last season and we’ve won the first league game of the season away from home which we also did last season.

Let’s see where we are mid-November before the pro-Monk brigade become the ‘I told you so’ brigade?

As for me I’m not going to make a big song and dance about it whether I’m proved right or wrong?

It's not a fixed position. 

I went from pro Monk to anti Monk last season and I reserve the right to go back again. 

Really intrigued to see some ‘told you so’ tone comments. Would love Monk and most importantly Wednesday to thrive this season but it will take more than 1 league win to convince me that the whole of last season was a blip. I think the mood on here will be very different in a few weeks unfortunately.

58 minutes ago, slow83 said:

it will take more than 1 league win to convince me that the whole of last season was a blip

Love these type of posts

What people REALLY mean when they post something like this is... "I am just waiting for the first draw/loss so I can unleash HELL AND HATE on Garry Monk"

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

38 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Love these type of posts

What people REALLY mean when they post something like this is... "I am just waiting for the first draw/loss so I can unleash HELL AND HATE on Garry Monk"

Got me! Glad you’re there to tell me what I mean. Many thanks 🙏 

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Love these type of posts

Surely your position on Monk is just as absurd as the extreme hater. You’re portraying him as a saviour after one league win and two Mickey Mouse cup wins, so you stand to look a tad ridiculous if he ends up struggling this season. The extreme hater would be going nuts if we’d lost one league game and two Mickey Mouse cup games and would also stand to look a tad ridiculous if Monk went on to have a good season. 

The balanced outlook whatever ones opinion of Monk is surely to think, decent start let’s see where we are say by the end of October before we start to get carried away. 

43 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

Surely your position on Monk is just as absurd as the extreme hater. You’re portraying him as a saviour after one league win and two Mickey Mouse cup wins, so you stand to look a tad ridiculous if he ends up struggling this season. The extreme hater would be going nuts if we’d lost one league game and two Mickey Mouse cup games and would also stand to look a tad ridiculous if Monk went on to have a good season. 

The balanced outlook whatever ones opinion of Monk is surely to think, decent start let’s see where we are say by the end of October before we start to get carried away. 

You're bringing logic and reasoned argument to OT?  It's not the done thing.  You will be tutted at. 

We’ve made a strong start to the season but people are getting carried away. Had it not been for Covid, Monk would have been sacked. Long way to go, but long may this current run continue. Watford on Saturday is a decent benchmark as to where we are. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1