Garry Monk

Maybe Monk was playing a blinder on chansiri to make him realise that he needed his own backroom staff and changes to player recruitment - I hope it works and he proves everyone wrong ... after all I just want success for my club ... unlike many I read on here - I wonder at times if they actually support Wednesday 😉

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Precisely why those slating him for just a couple of months form after Christmas Are now looking very very silly indeed

3 wins in 19 games is enough to form an opinion of a manager.

Those 19 games are not erased by a single league win.

No one who doubts Monk's ability bsed on the evidence of last seaon is looking at all silly.

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It wasn't that though was it?

What you're doing there is basically just cherry picking  19 games out of Monk's career here at SWFC

That's just ridiculous

That would be fair comment but you use exactly the same tactics.

It's a new season lets judge him on this season alone.  

So far we have had a good start and arguably even made progress.

Looking forward to Saturday as we will be up against a good team on paper, and they should be a good marker for how we are progressing.

If we win the confidence will rocket.

I think it is fair to say that last season he was hampered in many ways. What with none of his preferred backroom staff, the EFL charge hanging over us,

obvious personnel problems he inherited on the playing side and a pandemic to boot.  He now has a semblance of a recruitment strategy albeit constrained by

finances. I feel the recruitment has been excellent given the circumstances and although it is early days the signs are undoubtedly positive.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

I judge him over his entire tenure not 3 games.

Overall he's been poor to average, and therefore has some way to go to convince me he can take us where we need to be.

He will see that as a positive from you, that's quite low down on the old Mr Farrell Rant Scale.

He will be raising a glass to you tonight.

1 minute ago, debram said:

I would have been gutted but 8-10 games is fair I guess. 

it's not been hard to notice that a certain element in our support actually hates monk.

nothing new in that, i've seen it before with wednesday support, big jack and wilko to name two extremely successful managers with knives in their backs during their tenure.

but now we have owlstalk, and we put our names to our posts and opinions, thus are easy to recall.

i think i can recall some that wouldn't urinate on him were he on fire. 

Being able to bring in his own backroom staff makes a huge difference. He was working with his hands tied behind his back last season. 

Overall I think the club is taking the right approach and is learning from the mistakes we made which led us to -12. A much more considered and thoughtful approach from the chairman and the club which deserves credit. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Being able to bring in his own backroom staff makes a huge difference. He was working with his hands tied behind his back last season. 

Overall I think the club is taking the right approach and is learning from the mistakes we made which led us to -12. A much more considered and thoughtful approach from the chairman and the club which deserves credit. 

Agreed 

And quite the shift from Chansiri's previous stance

Credit to him for evolving and not REvolving

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

32 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Agreed 

And quite the shift from Chansiri's previous stance

Credit to him for evolving and not REvolving

100%. From the outside looking in, it appears DC is giving more control to Monk and the recruitment team and so far it looks like the correct move.

DC deserves huge credit for that, he’s learning and still supporting his manager with backroom staff and new signings. 

Very impressed with how we’re looking on and off the field this summer. 

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

It wasn't that though was it?

What you're doing there is basically just cherry picking  19 games out of Monk's career here at SWFC

That's just ridiculous

Cherry picking?

err.. of his last 24 league games he's won 5.

How is that a ridiculous point to make?

Edited by cookeh

On 12/09/2020 at 18:23, NorthernOwl said:

How much is Monk paying you to start all these threads? 

It's a good start and I'm sure we all want him and the team succeed. But let's not get too carried away just yet.

In fairness the anti-Monk brigade got a bit carried away last season. I said all along last season, let’s fairly judge him when he’s had a chance to bring in his own back room team, had a pre season and is allowed to shape the squad by releasing and signing the players he wants.

So far he’s had his own back room team, a little pre season of sorts and next to no money in the transfer window and he’s doing well.

Not getting carried away but it shows the negative Monk comments of last season were very knee-jerk 

Edited by DirtyLeedsOwl
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1