Cardiff - V - Wednesday

1 minute ago, theowlsman said:

Always makes a difference to the keeper’s level of confidence when he has a solid defence in front of him as he had today.

100% this. 

No fannying about at the back makes the keepers life easier.

Was is George Graham who said the biggest crime a defender can commit is seeing his goalkeeper have to move?

Whoever. A true point for me. Defenders defend.

• Like 2

Just now, theowlsman said:

Always makes a difference to the keeper’s level of confidence when he has a solid defence in front of him as he had today.

Definitely and the same goes for them when the goalie is enjoying his game. They all looked very confident, especially from the point when we scored the goal, but this time we never really looked like anything would panic us did we? Watford could be a much tougher test, but most of the teams in this division will be easiesr to break down than Cardiff away.

• Like 2

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

100% this. 

No fannying about at the back makes the keepers life easier.

Was is George Graham who said the biggest crime a defender can commit is seeing his goalkeeper have to move?

Whoever. A true point for me. Defenders defend.

Agreed Snoots, and talking about George Graham, I think we could do what his Arsenal teams did, i.e. go on long runs without defeat, winning 1-0 and always keeping it tight. It’s the future, from the past, in the present.

Garry Mink has invented time travel football. He is a tactical genius.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Definitely and the same goes for them when the goalie is enjoying his game. They all looked very confident, especially from the point when we scored the goal, but this time we never really looked like anything would panic us did we? Watford could be a much tougher test, but most of the teams in this division will be easiesr to break down than Cardiff away.

Kept battling away, snapping at ankles, keeping our defensive shape, even after going 1-0 up.

I was well impressed with today’s performance.

• Like 1

I enjoyed that game.  Huge huge win today.  

It was imperative that we hit the ground running and we have done just that.  A big three points away from home and a clean sheet picked up in the process.  

Thought it was a positive lineup from Monk.  Pleased to see that he got his tactics spot on today.  Players being played in more familiar positions.  

Van Aken certainly looks better in a back three than he does in a two.  A back three of Iorfa, Lees and Van Aken looked good.  Penney put in a shift on the left, I think the season long loan, has done him the world of good.  Nice to see the young talent come through the ranks.  On the right, i think Harris is better suited on that side.

Onto the midfield.  It was great to see Luongo in the central role instead of Bannan.  A move that allowed Bazza to get further forward and get more crosses into the box, positions where he thrives as opposed to sitting in front of the back three.  A big plus on that front.  

Brown, what a player we have on our hands.  Much more effective playing just behind the two main strikers, and such a lovely assist today to help get the side off to a great start.  You can clearly see he has the quality.  Will definitely be a key player for us this season.  Just hope his worst injuries are behind him.  

Windass, I thought he was excellent today.  Probably my Mom.  Full commitment and worked tirelessly.  A perfectly timed goal through the sliding defenders legs, and a great flick on in helping Rhodes get off to a great start.  

Finally, huge to see Rhodes get a start today.  Put a shift in and so happy to see him get scoring again.  Could end up being a key player for us this season.  I believe we should give him a proper run in the team and watch him score the goals that fires us to safety.  

All in all, excellent start.  Couldn't ask for anything more. 

Well played Wednesday. 

And I know I've been critical of Monk, but credit where credit is due, well played Monk.  

UTO!!

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Finally, huge to see Rhodes get a start today.  Put a shift in and so happy to see him get scoring again.  Could end up being a key player for us this season.  I believe we should give him a proper run in the team and watch him score the goals that fires us to safety.  

Absolutely agree, it’s now time Rhodes is given a proper run , and I mean 10-15 games and lets see what he achieves 

28 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Absolutely agree, it’s now time Rhodes is given a proper run , and I mean 10-15 games and lets see what he achieves 

I totally agree with that, but wondered if he was kept out against Walsall to keep him fresh for this one, maybe?

His goal was remiscent of the ones he became famous for. A proper poachers goal. I hope Monk and JB can keep him doing that.