Cardiff - V - Wednesday

1 minute ago, trev said:

Waheeey. Don't care if it wasn't pretty.

We need to get wins by hook or by crook ASAP.

Great confidence booster for the team.

It was pretty effective, as you say nothing else matters if the points are picked up.

Give Kachunga, Wildsmith, Dele Bashiru and a few fringe players a run out in midweek now, get them up to speed and should have enough to beat Rochdale.

2 minutes ago, Tommo_ said:

Cardiff can have all the possession they want, they wouldn't have scored in 90 years never mind 90 minutes. 

Well done Wednesday 

Exactly. Cardiff have done absolutely nowt to worry us today. 

I can't remember the last time I felt so comfortable watching Wednesday away, it felt weird lol

• Like 3

9 hours ago, striker said:

We need points on the board, however they come I don't care. Head says draw, heart 0-2 Wednesday win.

I know it's arrogant to quote my own post, but not often I get it right 😀

Work in progress, but pleased with that. Strikers scoring goals, clean sheet and 3 points to start the season. 

All played their part, fighting for the ball until the last minute, very much a team performance.

Just a note on Reach, I've been critical of him, but thought he did much better when he came on. 

Well done Wednesday, great start to the season. 

Edited by striker
  • Like 5

Well done Wednesday, a brilliant result and solid team performance. Very pleased that we looked good at both ends of the pitch. Was worried about where the goals were going to come from but a more solid team defensively helps our creative players to create more.

Really pleased to see Windlass and Rhodes on the scoresheet and to see us close out the game against a tough side renowned for their set pieces and late goals. We got to be pleased with that team performance. Yes, Cardiff were disappointing but we didn't allow them to bully us or to flood our box with chances. 

• Like 2

Just now, RBigs said:

What did everyone think to Van Aken ?

Was a little wonky early doors, gave away a couple of free kicks where he might have done better.

But..Settled into the game, got the measure of his man and didn't put a foot wrong 2nd half.

Even played the decent forward ball.

Still think Borner is our best option on the left of the 3, but van Aken did a lot to lessen any worries we had from his performances a couple of years ago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 0114 said:

Trying to be optimistic today, but I genuinely can’t see anything other than a Cardiff win.

However the last time I felt like this on an opening day was when we had Brighton away and we went and won 1-0. 

A good start couldn’t ever be more important.

Turned out better than that Brighton game 

👍

• Like 2

Guest Willow Owl

Great result against a team that finished in play offs last season. We’re still a work in progress so hopefully more to come. Well done Monk, well done Wednesday. 

Better side than Cardiff,  Great effort from the lads 

I honestly thought Windass could be great for us, with all that energy and determination he gives us something we haven’t had for a while , great finish and honestly think he might bag double figures for us this year 

Rhodes, nothing needs to be said , everyone knows what he is and what he does but I think the whole team is behind him and everyone is dying to see him back amongst the goals 

Well done Sheffield Wednesday. That was one the most convincing opening day performances I have seen for a while.

It is not very often that a team makes Cardiff look pedestrian, but we did that today and thoroughly deserved the three points. As the commentator said, minus nine definitely sounds a lot better than minus twelve.

UTO!

• Like 2

BTW did anybody else think that Monk looked quietly satisfied, when he came on the pitch with that wry smile? Good for you Mr Monk, your player choices this window, the team choices in the two games so far and the up and at 'em tactics all combined today to get that result. Even Van Acken looked at home in his role today. Well done!

• Like 1

Can never remember if it's mustard or custard with humble pie, but a decent slice for me tonight. Good stuff. 

It is 37 years now since we won in South Wales on the first day of the season, and went on to get promoted to end our longest period away from the top flight. 

Will history repeat itself? 

Errr, no. All the same, terrific start.