Cardiff - V - Wednesday

Good half score-wise.

We're very very deep, not supporting the forwards at all.

Rhodes and Windass with a lot of pretty thankless chasing.

Izzy Brown is much deeper than expected.

We're repeatedly looking to play thru balls from deep, just like the first goal.

Rhodes is doing really well tbh. Not just the goal, but playing with his back to goal drawing tonnes of fouls while isolated.

van Aken not too bad, some fouls he didn't need to make.

Penney given the ball away few times.

Bannan took a little while to get his eye in it seeemed.

Overall, can't be unhappy with the scoreline.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

But I thought we were playing horrendous and had no strikers and would be down by the end of the month?? 

Are people on here NOT the experts??? Nobody told me! 

I thought we'd be 2-0 down by now with no shots on target. Delighted to be completely wrong...

• Like 1

HT reflections

Really happy to see us being much more aggressive out of possession 

Perfect game for us really, very little of the ball and look for Windass on the counter

We look a bit suspect defensively out wide - but Iorfa in particular has done a good job of covering

I’d look to try and have a little more composure on the ball if possible. We’re just hacking it away too often which is taking the midfielders out of the game

Bannan, Brown and Luongo look more than capable of bettering Cardiff - the guys behind and alongside them just need to trust them a bit more

Good half keep it up

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cookeh said:

Good half score-wise.

We're very very deep, not supporting the forwards at all.

Rhodes and Windass with a lot of pretty thankless chasing.

Izzy Brown is much deeper than expected.

We're repeatedly looking to play thru balls from deep, just like the first goal.

Rhodes is doing really well tbh. Not just the goal, but playing with his back to goal drawing tonnes of fouls while isolated.

van Aken not too bad, some fouls he didn't need to make.

Penney given the ball away few times.

Bannan took a little while to get his eye in it seeemed.

Overall, can't be unhappy with the scoreline.

Correct but not sure your Van Aken tells the whole story. He's playing against a canny striker and he settled into it with a few silly fouls but since then he's managed him well. 

• Like 1

Just now, Spondon Owl said:

Lucas would be a perfect striker for us right now. All the physical attributes we need to complement what we already have.

I thought you meant David "Leadboots" Lucas rather than Joao for a minute then...

2-0 lead and I’m already preparing myself for the worst!  Very unconvincing 1st half for me, but 2 good goals from very little possession.  Hope we don’t sit back too much and cut out some of the soft fouls, because I don’t fancy our chances of defending high balls into the box for another 45 minutes without conceding.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well pleased with that first half. A typical away performance if anyone can remember far back enough to when we did it well. All about competing for every ball, getting back to defend, keeping organised and keeping the defensive shape, not drifting out of position or switching off.

Fitter, sharper, more organised, and working hard off the ball. 

The trick then is to take the opportunities, which may be few, when they present themselves, which we did. Two goals from our strikers. Nothing to complain about.

We go away getting something from an away fixture unless Cardiff score three 2nd half goals. Honestly can’t see that happening. We kept working hard when we went a goal up, didn’t deliberately relax and sit back, so I expect the same to continue.

Fingers crossed, this could be an excellent 3 points away from home against an average Cardiff side.

UTO 

FTEFL

• Like 6
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, jonnyowl said:

Our passing accuracy in that half was 48%.

I'm just happy for once, we have put in a, what i think is awful to watch but winning.

It’s never pretty against Neil Harris teams. Hard to get it on deck and pass it about, but hopefully we can gain but if confidence and try holding onto it a bit more as they press us. 

Very good away performance and nice to see a bit of fight in the lads! 

I'm confused...

Scored 2, by strikers who according to many aren't good enough for the season ahead. Kept a clean sheet by a defence including a goalie lots think isn't good enough to be a championship no 1.

And reading this thread we're apparently woeful.

Can only be a team better than the sum of its parts - all seems to be going in the right direction to me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3