Points deduction - peoples thoughts

Guest Theboylangers

I think the season is almost ruined before it's started.

It's difficult to acknowledge that it's extremely unlikely we'll be challenging for the play offs and instead face a season long relegation battle.

I just hope the appeal gets it reduced but I can't see it. 

If I was the Wednesday manager or ran the web site then I’d be posting my own league table where we deduct 2 points at the end of every month from October to March.

its a better reflection of how things stand and would hopefully provide a more positive outcome 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

Based on what?

The charges that were brought against us could incur a maximum 12 point penalty.

A 12 point penalty is exactly what we got, which is the exact same penalty had we not bothered fighting it anyway. Would suggest the lawyer's were on a par with the players to me.

Chansiri's lawyers did a great job on two counts.

Firstly, and crucially, the charge of not acting in good faith was dismissed. 

Secondly, the EFL's intention of applying sanction last season and thus relegating us was also rejected by the independent panel. 

If the lawyers succeed in getting the sanction either reduced, annulled or (ironically) back-dated then they will have performed a perfect hat-trick !

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chris Apolon said:

Thought I'd start a topic just to see what peoples thoughts are on points deductions.

Not the ins and outs of the rules etc. Facts are we have a -12 deduction

I was pondering more on whether as a system it would be more beneficial to impose the rules whereby the deduction was given at the end of the season, not beginning (regardless of club) 

Would it make a difference? Mentally for the players? Realistically for the competition as a whole starting on a flat 0 points across the board? The type of player that could be recruited? The tactics the coach would employ? Make it different aiming for rather than clearing arrears?

Not looking for an argument just looking for peoples thoughts I know we can't change the rules or what happened so possibly a pointless discussion but still I'd be interested in knowing other peoples viewpoints

We're fkd

I think the 12 point deduction is going to be a death sentence for this season.

We’re going to need about 60 points for safety; usually that points total will have you finish about 12th.

Our post-Xmas collapse last season saw us collect just 17 points from the final 23 league games.  We were comfortably the second-worst team in the division for that period.  Only Hull were worst than us in the second half of last season.

Since then we’ve lost key players; Fletcher, Hutchinson, Fox, Forestieri, Westwood (that last one is self-imposed of course).

So the very last thing we needed right now was a points deduction.  Given the above, I don’t feel we can realistically hope to stay up.

The uncertainty of the deduction will have made us an unattractive employer in the eyes of some of our transfer targets.

Given this situation, our recruitment so far has been ok but we’re still lacking in many areas, in particular we’re weak at GK, LB, CDM and our main weakness is up front, which frankly is a complete mess and we will struggle to score goals as things are.

In many respects, we’d have been better having the 12 points imposed on last season and starting this season in League One without the -12 hanging over us.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

I think the 12 point deduction is going to be a death sentence for this season.

We’re going to need about 60 points for safety; usually that points total will have you finish about 12th.

Our post-Xmas collapse last season saw us collect just 17 points from the final 23 league games.  We were comfortably the second-worst team in the division for that period.  Only Hull were worst than us in the second half of last season.

Since then we’ve lost key players; Fletcher, Hutchinson, Fox, Forestieri, Westwood (that last one is self-imposed of course).

So the very last thing we needed right now was a points deduction.  Given the above, I don’t feel we can realistically hope to stay up.

The uncertainty of the deduction will have made us an unattractive employer in the eyes of some of our transfer targets.

Given this situation, our recruitment so far has been ok but we’re still lacking in many areas, in particular we’re weak at GK, LB, CDM and our main weakness is up front, which frankly is a complete mess and we will struggle to score goals as things are.

In many respects, we’d have been better having the 12 points imposed on last season and starting this season in League One without the -12 hanging over us.

Yeah, Baby poo is sometimes Yellow !

Guest Therealrealist
24 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Play with fire, usually get burnt.

Some will say the penalty was harsh. Or our owner was naive. 

Like getting caught doing 71mph on a motorway.

SWFC breached FFP, hopefully it’s a big lesson learnt for our owner. 

UTO

You wont get fined for doin 71mph on a motorway

13 hours ago, Chris Apolon said:

Thought I'd start a topic just to see what peoples thoughts are on points deductions.

Not the ins and outs of the rules etc. Facts are we have a -12 deduction

I was pondering more on whether as a system it would be more beneficial to impose the rules whereby the deduction was given at the end of the season, not beginning (regardless of club) 

Would it make a difference? Mentally for the players? Realistically for the competition as a whole starting on a flat 0 points across the board? The type of player that could be recruited? The tactics the coach would employ? Make it different aiming for rather than clearing arrears?

Not looking for an argument just looking for peoples thoughts I know we can't change the rules or what happened so possibly a pointless discussion but still I'd be interested in knowing other peoples viewpoints

I'd like to see them applied to the season in question.

Guest Therealrealist
41 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Oh. So you don’t fined for breaking speed limits.

Best tell my mate who got a 90 quid fine and 3 penalty points for doing 71 on the A1.

He will have been doin more than 71

22 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Not sure what difference it makes officially giving the points deduction at the end or the beginning.
Everyone still knows we need 62 points gained to realistically stop up this season.

the way things look to be panning out this w/e, the season might be over at Christmas, if not then who knows if all clubs will survive financially, or tear up contracts?

21 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I've not really thought it through but have always felt that to hit clubs with a points deduction hurts the fans more than anyone else and they have done nothing wrong. Fans season tickets have get devalued and clubs are now entering a competition they can't realistically win so fans no longer have that expectation. 

It also devalues the competition in the league itself.   

Must be a better way of doing it.

a single relegation shouldn't bankrupt a club that was throwing money around over the last 3 years.