Points deduction - peoples thoughts

Thought I'd start a topic just to see what peoples thoughts are on points deductions.

Not the ins and outs of the rules etc. Facts are we have a -12 deduction

I was pondering more on whether as a system it would be more beneficial to impose the rules whereby the deduction was given at the end of the season, not beginning (regardless of club) 

Would it make a difference? Mentally for the players? Realistically for the competition as a whole starting on a flat 0 points across the board? The type of player that could be recruited? The tactics the coach would employ? Make it different aiming for rather than clearing arrears?

Not looking for an argument just looking for peoples thoughts I know we can't change the rules or what happened so possibly a pointless discussion but still I'd be interested in knowing other peoples viewpoints

3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Hurts the fans the bedrock of football, should have been more of a more financial penalty.

It's an interesting point. We could probably take a financial penalty but many clubs across the league system couldn't and could end up going bust hurting the fans further?

6 minutes ago, Chris Apolon said:

It's an interesting point. We could probably take a financial penalty but many clubs across the league system couldn't and could end up going bust hurting the fans further?

I've not really thought it through but have always felt that to hit clubs with a points deduction hurts the fans more than anyone else and they have done nothing wrong. Fans season tickets have get devalued and clubs are now entering a competition they can't realistically win so fans no longer have that expectation. 

It also devalues the competition in the league itself.   

Must be a better way of doing it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I've not really thought it through but have always felt that to hit clubs with a points deduction hurts the fans more than anyone else and they have done nothing wrong. Fans season tickets have get devalued and clubs are now entering a competition they can't realistically win so fans no longer have that expectation. 

It also devalues the competition in the league itself.   

Must be a better way of doing it.

A fair point. Think the fans were left behind 27 years ago with the introduction of the premier league unfortunately 

• Like 6

Very much feels like "US" against "THEM"

I can only day dream of romping the league this season and getting prompted. 

Was wondering how long before I feel like turning off on Saturday and declaring the season over?

Edited by MRGRIM

46 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Hurts the fans the bedrock of football, should have been more of a more financial penalty.

Chairmen would just laugh and pay the fine there and then out of their wallet

Then put the prices of tickets up to cover it, in the same way a van driver will put the prices of his services up when the council introduces the new clean air tax in the city centre 

• Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

Having the deduction at the beginning of the year means we know what we are up against and can fight to overcome it. Think of the uproar if we got automatic promotion and then the imposition of a deduction at the end of the season meant we didn't even make the play offs.

• Like 2

Truth is unless it's reduced it's crippled our season even if we stay up. The whole system is not fit for purpose. All clubs in any of the league s should have to pay a bond and they forfeit that bond. So new owner has to pay it and then if it exceeds that the owner gets the fine which increases a depending on the severity. Fans have no control over owners and no say. It's time we stopped paying for it. We pay more than enough.

My worry is Monk and how many point behind we will be when he finally IS sacked. Supporting him now could get us relegated. Normally you can give them so long and have time to recover. This season because of the -12 it's massively different. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2