Star SWFC game-changer

18 minutes ago, TommyCraig said:

Good luck with this, I'll give it a go. There are many hurdles to overcome, some highlighted above, but keep chipping away with good honest agenda free reporting and I'm sure you'll do well. 

Were in for a hell of a ride this season. All the best. 

We will come to you as the copy and paste resource.  Neil will pay your subscription fee.

Well volunteered that man.

• Haha 2

Guest Theboylangers
2 minutes ago, YesWeCrann said:

Thanks, appreciate that.

Yeah, we've felt the disengagement from some. That's why we're working so hard to bump things up. We're also offering a lot of free content across our social media channels as well - I'm personally putting video content out there for people to watch that's available for anyone.

There's been a change in output and hopefully we can start getting people back on side.

I wish you the very best launching this. 

4 minutes ago, YesWeCrann said:

Thanks, appreciate that.

Yeah, we've felt the disengagement from some. That's why we're working so hard to bump things up. We're also offering a lot of free content across our social media channels as well - I'm personally putting video content out there for people to watch that's available for anyone.

There's been a change in output and hopefully we can start getting people back on side.

Can't fault your effort, hope your employers recognise it but I fear for your long-term position if you are having to do your own touting for your company's subscriptions.   

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

Not being from Sheffield or even England, there was never really an incentive to subscribe to the Star. In fact I’ve never subscribed to any online “entertainment resource”. There’s just too much free stuff out there. With regards to Wednesday, I can get all the info on the club on here (with a lot of other nonsense!) or Twitter. That’s not to say I haven’t noticed the HUGE improvement Wednesday reporting this year from the Star- especially yourself and Alex. Unfortunately subscription monetisation will only ever work if everyone does it!

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
18 minutes ago, keefdave said:

The Star is about as interesting as a sack of flat knackers

Can’t beat a bit of constructive criticism 😂

5 minutes ago, YesWeCrann said:

Cheers for this feedback 👍🏽😂

You have no doubt improved the quality of the coverage, less clickbait stories and more reports with depth.  As someone else has mentioned that's not having a go at Dom he seems to have upped his game, probably more to do with people higher up in the food chain moving away from clickbait rubbish.

Hope you can make a go of it as a subscription service, but I fear the tide is against the press, maybe if you went freelance and could attract patrons as they do on Youtube.

In some ways we are probably getting spoiled with all the local coverage we are getting at the moment. 

I presume the Star will only cater for the fans paying the subscription?

25 minutes ago, Elderly Owl said:

what happened to the Green ‘Un ? Me and my old Dad used to walk back from Hillsborough ( bag of chips) with the rest of the 40,000 or so spectators that hadn’t caught the fleet of buses on Middlewood Road, just in time to get the results in the Green ‘Un from the bloke in Fitzalan Square. The match report always reflected the game I’d just seen ( scorers in bold text.. Fantham, Layne, Finney, Billy Griffin’s winning goal against the double winning Spurs..Etc, etc, ) 

So, what you should be doing is sponsoring a side similar to the ‘61 Wednesday side so you can re launch the Green ‘Un and we’d ALL buy it !  Mobile phones and instant results will never replace the Green ‘Un.

I’m sure it wasn’t THAT long ago...

Loved the Green un aswell but sadly it passed its sell by date due to social media.

We had it posted for years , came around 6.45 on a sat night , we even had it sent over to South Africa when my family emigrated there , didn't get it while the following Thursday mind but my god I couldn't wait to read it , miss it but sadly its had its day 

21 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

People talking about clickbait and The Green Un should sit this thread out in my opinion

You're offering nothing but 'ahhh  it were better back in my day' nonsense

Leave this thread to those who it applies to

lol

Who clearly aren't interested in either the Star in printed version, or it's bloated adware online version either.

Going on about boomers earlier too.

Who do you think this website appeals to?   Maybe we should all leave this website too and begger off.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

Not being from Sheffield or even England, there was never really an incentive to subscribe to the Star. In fact I’ve never subscribed to any online “entertainment resource”. There’s just too much free stuff out there. With regards to Wednesday, I can get all the info on the club on here (with a lot of other nonsense!) or Twitter. That’s not to say I haven’t noticed the HUGE improvement Wednesday reporting this year from the Star- especially yourself and Alex. Unfortunately subscription monetisation will only ever work if everyone does it!

Are you from Hillsborough outside Lisburn? 

Joe

Love your stuff, always on the ball and very insightful.

If you could suggest to your bosses at The Star that may be they could start perhaps a taxi firm or even an energy drinks company. If that doesnt work then perhaps sell the premises to themselves to generate extra revenue, ensuring that the sale goes into the right accounting period of course. If extra turnover is still required maybe selling 10 year subscriptions to the paper or they could try baking the worlds biggest printing press shaped cake.......my money making ideas are endless.

Its easy this business lark, I learned it all from a geezer  I know down the market called Dej Boy.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, YesWeCrann said:

Thanks, appreciate that.

Until the Stars horrendous website is binned ,and restarted from scratch i feel you are fighting a losing battle mate. When you have more adverts than actual content on the page people will not go near it. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, YesWeCrann said:

What should we be doing that we aren't doing?

Not your fault Bud...I used to buy a Star every day come rain or shine then they put the price up. Then they put it up again...then again...then again, until I thought sod that and stopped. Once you stop you getup of the habit.

1 hour ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

Yes mate. The Queen lives next door 😉

Lived with me old man and served in Lisburn in 1982/82 and then 2009/10. Lovely place, as is the rest of NI. Whilst things have come on massively since the dark days the issues have not fully gone away. Real shame as it’s a beautiful country and the people generally extremely warm and friendly. Hillsborough is a very nice part and recall having a few excellent meals out there with the local civil servants we worked with. Happy times

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
35 minutes ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Lived with me old man and served in Lisburn in 1982/82 and then 2009/10. Lovely place, as is the rest of NI. Whilst things have come on massively since the dark days the issues have not fully gone away. Real shame as it’s a beautiful country and the people generally extremely warm and friendly. Hillsborough is a very nice part and recall having a few excellent meals out there with the local civil servants we worked with. Happy times

It’s not too bad here now. I’d say it feels safer than many parts of mainland UK these days! Hillsborough itself is very safe and quiet. Probably because of CCTV everywhere due to the Castle! 

11 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

You have no doubt improved the quality of the coverage, less clickbait stories and more reports with depth.  As someone else has mentioned that's not having a go at Dom he seems to have upped his game, probably more to do with people higher up in the food chain moving away from clickbait rubbish.

Hope you can make a go of it as a subscription service, but I fear the tide is against the press, maybe if you went freelance and could attract patrons as they do on Youtube.

In some ways we are probably getting spoiled with all the local coverage we are getting at the moment. 

I presume the Star will only cater for the fans paying the subscription?

Thanks mate.

What do you mean by cater? Like I say, we're still making sure there's plenty of content available for free across our various platforms. What sort of thing are you looking for?

• Like 1