Star SWFC game-changer

Just launched... If you only want the football and don't want to pay for anything else, we've got you covered now!

Works out at about 10p a day for everything #SWFC related, all the work myself and Alex do without the ads or anything like that.

Give it a think, thank you! Any support we get means a lot. 🦉⚽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

£3 a month is not bad to be fair and where else are we going to find the breaking news on transfer deadline day signing Terry Henfleet! lol

Seriously though, the vast majority aren't going to subscribe to something that hasn't provided a good service when free for a long time. Plus anything that is reported will be repeated on here on on multiple social media outlets withing minutes. 

As much as the reporting/quality of the Wednesday content has improved recently I think this is fighting a losing battle.

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

Tight budget means it’s a choice between this or Bolton9Owl’s gofundme for Dejphon. I’ll take the weekend to decide :duntmatter:

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

£3 a month is not bad to be fair and where else are we going to find the breaking news on transfer deadline day signing Terry Henfleet! lol

Seriously though, the vast majority aren't going to subscribe to something that hasn't provided a good service when free for a long time. Plus anything that is reported will be repeated on here on on multiple social media outlets withing minutes. 

As much as the reporting/quality of the Wednesday content has improved recently I think this is fighting a losing battle.

Sad to hear that. We're really trying to put a lot of good content out, cover a lot of bases with a lot of different styles of work and cater to lots of different needs.

Like I say, support is appreciated, but I'm not here to persuade anybody.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, YesWeCrann said:

Sad to hear that. We're really trying to put a lot of good content out, cover a lot of bases with a lot of different styles of work and cater to lots of different needs.

Like I say, support is appreciated, but I'm not here to persuade anybody.

1 minute ago, YesWeCrann said:

What should we be doing that we aren't doing?

It's not your fault, as I say what you and Alex have done recently has raised the standard as far as the Wednesday stuff is concerned. That's not a pop at Dom as I also think his content has imrproved since he moved away.

I just think too many have become completely disengaged with that state of the Star online as a whole and it has probably gone too far in terms of expecting this to become a viable revenue source. 

8 minutes ago, YesWeCrann said:

I have seen the huge upturn in reporting on Wednesday recently by The Star and I do enjoy some if not all of the articles. In my personal opinion I like to read more interviews and in depth stuff, basically less speculation and more in depth behind the scenes. I know it’s not easy but links to the higher echelons of the club do need to improve from both sides to bring the fans on board and to sell subscriptions. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, YesWeCrann said:

In truth, you are on a hiding to nothing.

It started with the slow but progressive decline on the printed media, but personally for me it stopped with the death of the green un.   I'd stopped buying the star way before.

I'm a nostalgic person, my mum worked for the Star when I was young, she worked for a guy called Mike Allsop - down York Street, but not where people remember the Star being, on the opposite side the road, it was like a rabbit warren as I recall.   This was 30 plus years ago, and I remember Mike taking me on a tour of the printing press across the road, it was awesome.   He even showed me how to get free coffee out of the machine, but being about nine years old, of course I did not drink coffee.   I think he got me a hot chocolate.

I don't have any idea what you should be doing, it's not you personally, maybe you just got into this business 20 years too late?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, swfcjam said:

No offence but I can’t see why anyone would possibly pay that or anything for that matter. All Sheffield Wednesday news is available for free on social media including Att Chansiri’s breaking transfer news via Instagram. 

Nancy Frostick seems to still be in a job at the Athletic, so someone must be paying them for Wednesday content.

£3 is good value when you include the podcasts too. It’s cheaper than most Patreons, with a lot more content too. Admittedly I can’t see it taking off overnight but with some fine tuning over time I’m sure it’ll be a success, especially if the really good stuff stays behind a paywall. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, YesWeCrann said:

what happened to the Green ‘Un ? Me and my old Dad used to walk back from Hillsborough ( bag of chips) with the rest of the 40,000 or so spectators that hadn’t caught the fleet of buses on Middlewood Road, just in time to get the results in the Green ‘Un from the bloke in Fitzalan Square. The match report always reflected the game I’d just seen ( scorers in bold text.. Fantham, Layne, Finney, Billy Griffin’s winning goal against the double winning Spurs..Etc, etc, ) 

So, what you should be doing is sponsoring a side similar to the ‘61 Wednesday side so you can re launch the Green ‘Un and we’d ALL buy it !  Mobile phones and instant results will never replace the Green ‘Un.

I’m sure it wasn’t THAT long ago...

9 minutes ago, TommyCraig said:

Good luck with this, I'll give it a go. There are many hurdles to overcome, some highlighted above, but keep chipping away with good honest agenda free reporting and I'm sure you'll do well. 

Were in for a hell of a ride this season. All the best. 

Well said Tommy!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It's not your fault, as I say what you and Alex have done recently has raised the standard as far as the Wednesday stuff is concerned. That's not a pop at Dom as I also think his content has imrproved since he moved away.

I just think too many have become completely disengaged with that state of the Star online as a whole and it has probably gone too far in terms of expecting this to become a viable revenue source. 

Thanks, appreciate that.

Yeah, we've felt the disengagement from some. That's why we're working so hard to bump things up. We're also offering a lot of free content across our social media channels as well - I'm personally putting video content out there for people to watch that's available for anyone.

There's been a change in output and hopefully we can start getting people back on side.

• Like 2