Thoughts on Matt Penney

Monk could do a lot worse than send a message out in the first league game and start Penney. It might even given him a bit of credit with the fans that he is willing to adapt from tried and tested.

Fight for the shirt with your performances and it's yours to lose

The players on the pitch would have seen the difference Penney made and it would be a boost to them all if he starts, you would hope.

Had a good bit of skill before his effort on goal  at the weekend.
It was enough to make me want to see him more.

Feels like he's our best option on the left, with Harris shifting to the right.

There's no back up for him tho, which is a worry. I guess we'd shift Harris back to the left, or just throw Palmer in there.

Far from ideal tho.

21 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

My thoughts are the same as when i first saw him 4 years ago......................a very promising player with a good touch , good pace and a great left foot.............................should have been part of the first team last season and needs tying to a longer contract.

Agree. Would like to see him take a few free kicks just outside of the box. Better option than Bannan for me. 

I don’t think he will start Penny in a tough away at Cardiff.

Think he will go with Harris and Palmer with Penny and Moses on the bench. To be fair I would do the same although I expect Penny to become our first choice soon.

Expect to see him give Penny 30 mins from the bench , just enough time to put a cross in for our other sub , Rhodes to nod in the winner.

On 10/09/2020 at 17:54, superowls23 said:

Should have been used instead of Fox most of last season. Let him develop In the team like we should have all along. Proper footballer in there and he’s easily going to outperform the likes of Urhoghide or Stobbs and other players that people were desperate for us to give chances to over their respective careers. 

You know what some on here are like - two bad games, and 'get him sold'.  So much for nurturing...

Needs games in one position. Looked a real prospect playing as an attacking lb, Though Clearly looked lost and devoid of confidence last time he was pulling a first team shirt on under jos the tinkerman 

Love to see the lad kick on, has a great strike on him too. 

At the moment though I can't fully decide weather he's going to be the "new Mel sterland" for a new generation,or just another steady Eddie like Liam Palmer. The juries still out, so over to you matt. 

His crossing was poor against Cardiff, but his defensive play (certainly helped Van Aken regain his confidence), high pressing and transitional play were spot on. Both Wednesday and St Pauli won much more points in games he started than in those he didn't and it is not a fluke. 

We played our worst 30 minutes this season after he came off against Watford. 

Not starting him tomorrow is in my opinion asking for trouble as often is when trying to fix what aint broken. 

I certainly hope Monk got enough sense to start with him. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, malek said:

His crossing was poor against Cardiff, but his defensive play (certainly helped Van Aken regain his confidence), high pressing and transitional play were spot on. Both Wednesday and St Pauli won much more points in games he started than in those he didn't and it is not a fluke. 

We played our worst 30 minutes this season after he came off against Watford. 

Not starting him tomorrow is in my opinion asking for trouble as often is when trying to fix what aint broken. 

I certainly hope Monk got enough sense to start with him. 

Umm well most of Cardiff’s opportunities came from Penney being beaten...

• Haha 1

For me as I’ve stated previously he’s got to play at LWB. He’s our only natural left footed wing back and gives us the balance we need. Don’t get me wrong Harris is a good player but we lose the balance when Penney isn’t there. 

Monk can play who he wants at RWB as he has loads of options but please leave LWB alone. Unless you’re going to bring someone new in.