Garry Monk's coaching team to work with Jordan Rhodes

13 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

That’s it..if we play to his strengths..put the ball in the box...he’ll be the £9m striker we were sold. 
I keep promising myself I’m gonna be positive this season, about every player.

Failed before a league match started.

WTF:

We can always dream...............................for the first few games anyway 😰

It's fundamental. 

Pass the ball to him in the box. 

I realise that that presents obvious problems to our midfield. The main problem is that they are unable to pass the ball forward

You either play with Rhodes in the box and give him the ball or don't bother playing him

I don't see any evidence that we have any players capable of supplying Rhodes with the service he needs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Agreed. Nothing happening on the transfer front; let’s switch to an attempt at a positive story. Tell him  he is going to be investigated for impersonating a footballer and see if that makes him start performing. Previous managers have tried to bring him out of his shell with the nice approach. Bloke is in his late 20’s and needs a good boot in the arse to resurrect his career here and wherever else he ends his playing days.

All of the above. But it’s think the time for a boot up the arse was at the end of his first season here. 

3 hours ago, cookeh said:

I agree, there's been times he hasn't looked at it, I guess I'm just not surprised by that. He's not had run in the team in 2 years or more, and the current manager waited 5 months into the season before giving him a start.

At Huddersfield, Rhodes was the 1st guy on the teamsheet. The manager had faith in him, the fans too, and the team seemed to know when and where he wanted the ball and was set up to get it there. Here Rhodes has the backing of no one, and has mostly been laughably used at the big man in a front 2 (see him and Winnal up top under Carlos).

I think what Rhodes needs is some backing. Not a lot of fans seem to have the patience left for that, with the fee having blinded them to what the player actually needs. "we paid a lot he should just be magic, end of" seems to be a widely held view. So I'm thinking that Rhodes being the main striker we have on the books might actually be a blessing. We've little option but to give him games and I think that will do hink the world of good. Some fans wont ever come around, too bothered by the money side of things, but against Leicester Rhodes looked like a forward I would want in the team.

Ofc, there's the chance that Monk will just play Kachunga and Windass, and freeze Rhodes out again.

image.png.4442a4a3b3ae6613ee54823ae7806277.png

7 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

This is getting like one of those kickabouts you have with little kids.

"Come on now, don't be nasty. Let him have a shot. And keeper - if it reaches the line, dive over it just to make him feel better."

It's like you said in another thread recently. He scored a hat-trick in 45 minutes. In the other 30 odd games he has failed to score in around that Forest game did we never once play a similar approach to what we did in that first half?

It's madness to think it is the fault of the team, take a look at every game he plays. No movement, poor lay offs, lack of pace, slow off the mark, utterly disappointing. 

Other Wednesday players have managed to score goals inside the penalty area in the time he has consistently failed to do so, maybe they were just lucky! 

I'd love him to come good but I can't expect it will happen and blaming everyone else around him is just making excuses for him. 

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

"We have set him targets to try and get him back to a level where he can consistently perform"

He has consistently performed, like a man who has just ran a marathon and done 3 hours of intense weights before coming onto the pitch. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It's madness to think it is the fault of the team, take a look at every game he plays. No movement, poor lay offs, lack of pace, slow off the mark, utterly disappointing. 

Other Wednesday players have managed to score goals inside the penalty area in the time he has consistently failed to do so, maybe they were just lucky! 

This is the most important part. Forwards can have lean spells when it comes to putting the ball in the net (even in that season where he scored 32, David Hirst had a run of something like 2 or 3 in 17 league games from memory). A lot of fans pay too much attention to just that aspect of the role, both good and bad. Sometimes, the statistics don't match performances.

Rhodes not only isn't scoring, but he is hardly threatening to. And he offers so little in all the other elements of the game that it makes him a passenger. After that initial run when he first arrived, every manager has used him as something of a last resort, and with total justification. He's been so bereft, it's tempting to wonder if there is some underlying issue we're unaware of.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

This is the most important part. Forwards can have lean spells when it comes to putting the ball in the net (even in that season where he scored 32, David Hirst had a run of something like 2 or 3 in 17 league games from memory). A lot of fans pay too much attention to just that aspect of the role, both good and bad. Sometimes, the statistics don't match performances.

Rhodes not only isn't scoring, but he is hardly threatening to. And he offers so little in all the other elements of the game that it makes him a passenger. After that initial run when he first arrived, every manager has used him as something of a last resort, and with total justification. He's been so bereft, it's tempting to wonder if there is some underlying issue we're unaware of.

All his goals from 2014-15 are on here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwB9vI1wjf8

Some are taps in yes but a fair few where he runs away from defenders from further out and a few headers from free-kicks and corners.

He simply isn't, or hasn't been the same threat for us, not because of the type of supply.

3 hours ago, Philb125 said:

With my tin hat on here... 

If we played Rhodes week in, week out and asked him to just stay on the shoulder/in the box. I have no doubt he would be our top scorer and get a reasonable return. I'm not sure historically we have had enough about us behind him/the striker to say to the striker, you score goals, we'll defend. 

Unfortunately we've required our forwards to do more than just score goals - good job too as they weren't the best at scoring goals!! But I get the feeling that with a more dynamic, combative team - we now may be able to focus on a striker just scoring the goals rather than running the channels or linking up the play. 

Rhodes hasn't been well utilised in his time here, nor has he had many games to try and show his worth. He's in and out of the team, played as a target man, asked to track back and support. It's just not his game. 

I hope if he's our only recognised striker, he gets a chance to do what he's good at - scoring goals, and that he recovers some confidence and form. 

Top scorer with 5-6 in a season.

7 hours ago, cookeh said:

Just him?

He was very active against Leicester, but there was no supply to him. At some point we have to realise that forwards need supply.
It's not just about changing what Jordan does as I dont think he was doing anything bad against Leicester, it's about the team.

Penney on the left and Harris on the right might help. Brown in the hole looks good creatively.
I'd also sit down Bannan and Rhodes together and have them have a conversation about where Rhodes wants the ball.

It's not just about Rhodes.

Did anybody else chuckle like a school kid? 

No? 

Can't be just me?!! 

Monk will of course try to talk him up but he won't play him if he can help it. He wants us to break at pace and JR hasn't got any. 

Kachunga and Windass will start I reckon. Zohore looks quick as well so he fits the mould, should we sign him.

If we sign a big lad who can flick it on, perhaps Rhodes will get some minutes.

36 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

All his goals from 2014-15 are on here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwB9vI1wjf8

Some are taps in yes but a fair few where he runs away from defenders from further out and a few headers from free-kicks and corners.

He simply isn't, or hasn't been the same threat for us, not because of the type of supply.

He actually looks to have a turn of pace and a bit of strength there. He also takes a few  penalties. 

I’ll be a little controversial. The problem is not Jordan Rhodes, he hasn’t scored regularly for a few reasons:

over recent seasons we have rarely delivered decent quality crosses into the box due to having poor quality wingers, building up too slowly, and inept coaching and management. 

He has rarely had a decent run of games in the team for a full 90 minutes. 

When he plays we ask too much of him in terms of work outside the box. He’s a goal scorer and to do that job he needs service in and around the penalty area; particularly the six yard box. He will be judged on goals, not through trying to impress with work rate. 

if Rhodes was to play every game this coming season, if we get crosses into the box, and play the ball into his feet rather than lump it high to him aimlessly, I would wager he would score twenty plus goals. 

Goal scoring is not something you forget. In the absence of any other genuine goal scorer let’s give him a sustained run; some people might just be surprised! 

Edited by The Baron
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Untitled design-17.png.gallery.jpg

Garry Monk's coaching team to work with Jordan Rhodes

"I believe there is a player more than capable in there"

"He has had a tough two or three years"

"We have set him targets to try and get him back to a level where he can consistently perform"

Have they got him running again; that would be nice

Guest Bulgaria
12 minutes ago, RBigs said:

It would be great if Beattie could get Rhodes back firing.

Rhodes has been doing that for 3 years without Beatties help.