Garry Monk's coaching team to work with Jordan Rhodes

1 hour ago, marcx666 said:

Coaching staff in working with player shocker. :ph34r:

Agreed. Nothing happening on the transfer front; let’s switch to an attempt at a positive story. Tell him  he is going to be investigated for impersonating a footballer and see if that makes him start performing. Previous managers have tried to bring him out of his shell with the nice approach. Bloke is in his late 20’s and needs a good boot in the arse to resurrect his career here and wherever else he ends his playing days.

• Thanks 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 minutes ago, cookeh said:

You should pay more attention to what players do in matches instead of making ill-informed statements because you think people might like you for them.

If you knew anything about me, I don’t care what people think. Rhodes is beyond pants and did absolutely nothing against Leicester. Should be nowhere near the match day squad and the only reason he is is that we don’t have enough strikers.

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

Just him?

He was very active against Leicester, but there was no supply to him. At some point we have to realise that forwards need supply.
It's not just about changing what Jordan does as I dont think he was doing anything bad against Leicester, it's about the team.

Penney on the left and Harris on the right might help. Brown in the hole looks good creatively.
I'd also sit down Bannan and Rhodes together and have them have a conversation about where Rhodes wants the ball.

It's not just about Rhodes.

There have been times when Rhodes has had decent service and he hasn't shown the desire and/or hasn't had the pace, strength or quickness of thought to get there. I take absolute no pleasure in saying it and if anything it saddens me to say he seems finished at Champ level. What's happened to the Jordan Rhodes of Huddersfield I simply don't know.

All this lack of service rhetoric is just an excuse that is becoming lamer and lamer. Taking a penalty from 12 yards is service enough and he can't even do that. We should take whatever we can get for him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OasisOwl72 said:

There have been times when Rhodes has had decent service and he hasn't shown the desire and/or hasn't had the pace, strength or quickness of thought to get there. I take absolute no pleasure in saying it and if anything it saddens me to say he seems finished at Champ level. What's happened to the Jordan Rhodes of Huddersfield I simply don't know.

All this lack of service rhetoric is just an excuse that is becoming lamer and lamer. Taking a penalty from 12 yards is service enough and he can't even do that. We should take whatever we can get for him.

I agree, there's been times he hasn't looked at it, I guess I'm just not surprised by that. He's not had run in the team in 2 years or more, and the current manager waited 5 months into the season before giving him a start.

At Huddersfield, Rhodes was the 1st guy on the teamsheet. The manager had faith in him, the fans too, and the team seemed to know when and where he wanted the ball and was set up to get it there. Here Rhodes has the backing of no one, and has mostly been laughably used at the big man in a front 2 (see him and Winnal up top under Carlos).

I think what Rhodes needs is some backing. Not a lot of fans seem to have the patience left for that, with the fee having blinded them to what the player actually needs. "we paid a lot he should just be magic, end of" seems to be a widely held view. So I'm thinking that Rhodes being the main striker we have on the books might actually be a blessing. We've little option but to give him games and I think that will do hink the world of good. Some fans wont ever come around, too bothered by the money side of things, but against Leicester Rhodes looked like a forward I would want in the team.

Ofc, there's the chance that Monk will just play Kachunga and Windass, and freeze Rhodes out again.

• Like 1

With my tin hat on here... 

If we played Rhodes week in, week out and asked him to just stay on the shoulder/in the box. I have no doubt he would be our top scorer and get a reasonable return. I'm not sure historically we have had enough about us behind him/the striker to say to the striker, you score goals, we'll defend. 

Unfortunately we've required our forwards to do more than just score goals - good job too as they weren't the best at scoring goals!! But I get the feeling that with a more dynamic, combative team - we now may be able to focus on a striker just scoring the goals rather than running the channels or linking up the play. 

Rhodes hasn't been well utilised in his time here, nor has he had many games to try and show his worth. He's in and out of the team, played as a target man, asked to track back and support. It's just not his game. 

I hope if he's our only recognised striker, he gets a chance to do what he's good at - scoring goals, and that he recovers some confidence and form. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

With my tin hat on here... 

If we played Rhodes week in, week out and asked him to just stay on the shoulder/in the box. I have no doubt he would be our top scorer and get a reasonable return. I'm not sure historically we have had enough about us behind him/the striker to say to the striker, you score goals, we'll defend. 

Unfortunately we've required our forwards to do more than just score goals - good job too as they weren't the best at scoring goals!! But I get the feeling that with a more dynamic, combative team - we now may be able to focus on a striker just scoring the goals rather than running the channels or linking up the play. 

Rhodes hasn't been well utilised in his time here, nor has he had many games to try and show his worth. He's in and out of the team, played as a target man, asked to track back and support. It's just not his game. 

I hope if he's our only recognised striker, he gets a chance to do what he's good at - scoring goals, and that he recovers some confidence and form. 

I agree with a lot of this. If we're not going to play him alongside a target man or expect him to come to the half-way line most of the time to collect possession then no matter how many Jedi mind tricks Monk and Beattie try, he's still going to get savaged in battle by the championship equivalents of Kylo-Ren?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cookeh said:

You should pay more attention to what players do in matches instead of making ill-informed statements because you think people might like you for them.

Quite strange, because all he did was plod around and when he went back to try and help, he gave the ball a way a number of times.

All we could see was what was on youtube, unless you were at the match ?  So what you talk of, you wouldn't have sen because the camera was following the ball, not what Rhodes was doing off it.

He's crap. He's bled us dry and given nothing.

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Untitled design-17.png.gallery.jpg

"I believe there is a player more than capable in there"

"He has had a tough two or three years"

"We have set him targets to try and get him back to a level where he can consistently perform"

Well since club coaches are paid to coach the players shouldn't they be coaching him anyway...? 

What does he do all day wander around the fields giving the thumbs up to cows and sheep?? 

Mind if so it could be why he hasn't been able to hit a cows backside with a banjo as far as scoring goals is concerned since he's been here lol

Edited by shezzas left peg

14 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Quite strange, because all he did was plod around and when he went back to try and help, he gave the ball a way a number of times.

All we could see was what was on youtube, unless you were at the match ?  So what you talk of, you wouldn't have sen because the camera was following the ball, not what Rhodes was doing off it.

Maybe you're one of these folk that needs to watch a game a few times to understand whats going on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Untitled design-17.png.gallery.jpg

"I believe there is a player more than capable in there"

"He has had a tough two or three years"

"We have set him targets to try and get him back to a level where he can consistently perform"

The fact that the club has to announces this tells us all we need to know. 
Is there really a magic formula, or he just dead wood.

5 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

The fact that the club has to announces this tells us all we need to know. 
Is there really a magic formula, or he just dead wood.

Maybe the club has someone reading owlstalk and seen the comments that they never tell us what's going on lol

Guest REDAs_biG_piECE

The best Rhodes has looked since he signed were the 2 games he started after lockdown against Forest and Bristol

He actually looked like a footballer in those 2 games

Of course naturally Ginger Jos rewarded this upturn in performance by dropping him barely to be seen again and thus any confidence gained evaporated

5 hours ago, marcx666 said:

Coaching staff in working with player shocker. :ph34r:

Our coaches are going to have a go at coaching our players - good times on the horizon! 

Edited by Guest

25 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

Maybe the club has someone reading owlstalk and seen the comments that they never tell us what's going on lol

That’s it..if we play to his strengths..put the ball in the box...he’ll be the £9m striker we were sold. 
I keep promising myself I’m gonna be positive this season, about every player.

Failed before a league match started.

WTF:

• Haha 1