Kenneth Zohore

4 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

We'd be best off in the long run signing a reasonably young striker permanently, rather than loaning a top flight player on big wages, that we probably won't be able to sign at the end of their loan. If we can afford to bring in a striker for a transfer fee, I'd look at the lower leagues or abroad. The likes of Kayden Jackson and Macauley Bonne, and others are generating Championship interest. Although Zohore would suit us, we might be better off looking for someone on less wages and on the rise. 

Jackson is going for over £2.5 million

2 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Jackson is going for over £2.5 million

Aye, what would £50;000 per week wages work out to over the remainder of the season? Depending upon P&S and what we can or can't afford, I think it might be better in the long run to sign a striker permanently if we can. Don't know who, there are some decent ones in the lower leagues or we could consider someone from abroad. Although I rate Zohore and think he'd suit us, I think we could get someone just as suitable on potentially less wages. 

Just now, The Night-Owl said:

Aye, what would £50;000 per week wages work out to over the remainder of the season? Depending upon P&S and what we can or can't afford, I think it might be better in the long run to sign a striker permanently if we can. Don't know who, there are some decent ones in the lower leagues or we could consider someone from abroad. Although I rate Zohore and think he'd suit us, I think we could get someone just as suitable on potentially less wages. 

But we won't pay anything near £50.000 in wages

26 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

But we won't pay anything near £50.000 in wages

Probably not, as we need at a couple more players and can make around 3 more loan signings if possible. Would be surprised and delighted if we got him, has he would suit our game but wouldn't be disappointed if we looked for a better deal elsewhere. 

Edited by The Night-Owl

Not particularly bothered about the Zahore signing now going to cost us too much of our budget, we really need a minimum 3 more players and  if he comes we would be looking at one more if we're lucky. Let's go back for the Lad at Man City, Murphy, Sanderson ,Garner these would be better investments for our future. 

3 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

Probably not, as we need at a couple more players and can make around 3 more loan signings if possible. Would be surprised and delighted if we got him, has he would suit our game but wouldn't be disappointed if we looked for a better deal elsewhere. 

I think those loan signings may now not happen, from what Monk was saying

10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I think those loan signings may now not happen, from what Monk was saying

We'll have to wait and see, I still think we will bring in at least 3 more players.

However, on current form it wouldn't seem much of a blow but in the long run, at least a couple more quality players are needed. Especially in a more congested season.

So far, we have looked good but the season is long and full of games in small quick periods, with a shorter pre-season and an increase in midweek games, squad depth should be key.

We have decent youngsters, brought in some smart signings but we're still light in some areas, injuries during the season could drastically weaken our squad, which at present looks fresh, dynamic and hardworking. 

Edited by The Night-Owl

6 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

We'll have to wait and see, I still think we will bring in at least 3 more players.

However, on current form it wouldn't seem much of a blow but in the long run, at least a couple more quality players are needed. Especially in a more congested season.

So far, we have looked good but the season is long and full of games in small quick periods, with a shorter pre-season and an increase in midweek games, squad depth should be key.

We have decent youngsters, brought in some smart signings but we're still light in some areas, injuries during the season could drastically weaken our squad, which at present looks fresh, dynamic and hardworking. 

The issue is up top.

Cant play a season with 3 strikers. Jury out on Reach, Kachunga is more of a RW, and Windass looks more of a striker than we thought but it’s early days.

We are one injury or suspension away from having Hobson’s choice and no subs.

• Like 1

Bit of education with your Cornflakes...

The famous phrase 'Hobson's choice' can be traced back to a Cambridge carrier who operated a livery stable delivering mail and providing transport to and from London in the early 17th century. 

Thomas Hobson, who was born in 1545, recognised that his best horses were in most demand and that they were also the most overworked. He therefore devised a strict rotation system, only allowing customers to rent the next horse in line. 

This 'take that one or none' ultimatum ensured Hobson's reputation as an astute businessman and city character, and the poet John Milton would later immortalise the expression 'Hobson's choice' in two commemorative epitaphs.

I didn’t know this until my family had a weekend in Cambridge last year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

If indeed Zohore goes elsewhere, Derby now interested so could well go to them, I really hope we have a few other players lined up to get in ASAP. All seems very quiet on rumours at the minute. 

Monk said we did, when we were first linked with Zohore. If it isn’t to be Zohore, I’d like it to be someone of a similar type. Someone who can be a focal point, can hold the ball up, but has the pace to run in behind. I really don’t want another static target man like Fletcher

• Like 1

I’m not too bothered whether we sign him or not TBH. Don’t get me wrong I think he’d be a good signing but unless you show a real desire to get a deal done then you always run the risk of losing out. Even when we were spending money we had the tendency to pfaff around.

Look at the Windass deal, other sides were getting players out of Wigan quickly enough but it took us three weeks?

I like the Chairman but I think he’ll always do things his way and as a result there is as much chance of us ending up frustrated as elated?

Edited by Jim

I’d like Zohore, but don’t want us to break the bank for him. It’ll probably come down to which club is willing to contribute the most towards his wages. I don’t want us over-extending ourselves to get him. Don’t think we would now. Chansiri showing signs that he’s learned from that mistake...finally. 

4 minutes ago, Jim said:

I’m not too bothered whether we sign him or not TBH. Don’t get me wrong I think he’d be a good signing but unless you show a real desire to get a deal done then you always run the risk of losing out. Even when we were spending money we had the tendency to pfaff around.

Look at the Windass deal, other sides were getting players out of Wigan quickly enough but it took us three weeks?

I like the Chairman but I think he’ll always do things his way and as a result there is as much chance of us ending up frustrated as elated?

If in doubt, blame the Chairman!!!

1 minute ago, AwokenGiant said:

If in doubt, blame the Chairman!!!

Tbf the chairman must have the final say as it’s his cheque book. IF he is playing hardball who would blame him after what’s happened. Damned if he does damned if he doesnt

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AwokenGiant said:

Exactly, and in some peoples eyes, its ALWAYS his fault. 

Read my post again. Was I having a go at the Chairman? I was merely making an observation. Have we not been slow out of the blocks when it comes to finalising transfers under DC?