Ex-Baggies chief Mark Jenkins calls for EFL change

"Football needs to sort itself out," said Jenkins. "If anything has happened through Covid, it is that there has to be a change in the structure of the EFL. There has to be real pressure on the EFL at the moment to change."

I guess the question is, how?

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

And the most Wednesday thing will be, the P&S rules will be shelved just after DC sells the club to some skint bloke from Azerbaijan...

1 hour ago, ChapSmurf said:

I saw this yesterday and thought it interesting to read what someone else was saying about the EFL. I know we have topics on this subject already - and maybe this thread is in the wrong section - but I thought I would put it here so that others could see it, if they haven't already.

In short, Mark Jenkins completely disagreed with the TV deal offered to the Championship clubs, believes there is a conflict of interest having board members on the EFL who represent member clubs, believes that clubs should be able to spend what they want, and disagrees with Salary Caps.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54046448

I know I have been accused of just being biased posting these issues before about the shocking state of affairs at the EFL. It is probably corrupt, and even if it isn't and its just incompetence, they can't prove it because some club directors have a conflict of interest and decisions keep going the way of these clubs.

I dont blame Parry in this, its the main cabal of clubs and owners running the EFL into the ground in their own clubs interests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nero said:

I know I have been accused of just being biased posting these issues before about the shocking state of affairs at the EFL. It is probably corrupt, and even if it isn't and its just incompetence, they can't prove it because some club directors have a conflict of interest and decisions keep going the way of these clubs.

I dont blame Parry in this, its the main cabal of clubs and owners running the EFL into the ground in their own clubs interests.

100% agree 

Guest Kameron
51 minutes ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

And the most Wednesday thing will be, the P&S rules will be shelved just after DC sells the club to some skint bloke from Azerbaijan...

That skint bloke from Azerbaijan Clearly has more disposable cash than Chansiri.

The problem for US with scrapping salary caps and letting chairmen spend what they want is that the other chairmen in this division could very very easily way outspend anything that we could afford so essentially we would end up with ridiculously high outgoings to just compete to be midtable

Anyone believing that removing the FFP/Spending Caps/Salary Caps would mean we would do a SPENDAGEDDON  to walk the league is fooling themselves.

Chansiri just can't compete with the most affluent and richest of chairmen in this division - not even close

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Ferkorf
20 minutes ago, Kameron said:

That skint bloke from Azerbaijan Clearly has more disposable cash than Chansiri.

So its not Chansiri being careful this time around then so we don't get more umbongos and points deductions?

Guest Kameron
6 minutes ago, Ferkorf said:

So its not Chansiri being careful this time around then so we don't get more umbongos and points deductions?

Do you believe in the tooth fairy also?

Whilst the likes of Barnsley, Rotherham, Preston, Brentford and co have a say ie the slight majority who do not wish to spend money. This won’t change. 

Only a breakaway league or perhaps a change in the balance of clubs wishing to spend would see any change voted through 

I think some of the salary cap ideas are ok but how do transfer fees fit in for example. Could a club just outspend another that way? Bigger clubs capable of more income should be able to make the most of that. 

League one is showing how this doesn’t work so well. Teams like Shrewsbury and Gillingham shouldn’t have the financial clout of Sunderland unless they got the additional money to do so, rather than crippling Sunderland.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

The problem for US with scrapping salary caps and letting chairmen spend what they want is that the other chairmen in this division could very very easily way outspend anything that we could afford so essentially we would end up with ridiculously high outgoings to just compete to be midtable

Anyone believing that removing the FFP/Spending Caps/Salary Caps would mean we would do a SPENDAGEDDON  to walk the league is fooling themselves.

Chansiri just can't compete with the most affluent and richest of chairmen in this division - not even close

Are you ITK on this re Chansiri funds 🤔

55 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The price of players and their wages is not infinite. If he wanted to spunk a hundred million on players and wages, he may well have/get the financial backing to do that. I can only think of a few clubs in this league who could match that. And that is not to say their owners would dig that deep.

3 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

I saw this yesterday and thought it interesting to read what someone else was saying about the EFL. I know we have topics on this subject already - and maybe this thread is in the wrong section - but I thought I would put it here so that others could see it, if they haven't already.

In short, Mark Jenkins completely disagreed with the TV deal offered to the Championship clubs, believes there is a conflict of interest having board members on the EFL who represent member clubs, believes that clubs should be able to spend what they want, and disagrees with Salary Caps.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54046448

9A1BEC38-1E25-44F5-A970-DE047432DB36.jpeg.69fc353e211f97a2377906c8ea86d33c.jpeg

ourkidddddd!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

The price of players and their wages is not infinite. If he wanted to spunk a hundred million on players and wages, he may well have/get the financial backing to do that. I can only think of a few clubs in this league who could match that. And that is not to say their owners would dig that deep.

And while he may have had to throttle back during the pandemic, if he has access to his families vast fortune he can still spend quite heavily. 

Ive never assumed his acceess to the cash was all his own.  

And far eastern business people quite like getting rid of cash in english football for many reasons.

Stand to be corrected by people with better knowledge than me though. 

2 hours ago, Nero said:

And while he may have had to throttle back during the pandemic, if he has access to his families vast fortune he can still spend quite heavily. 

Ive never assumed his acceess to the cash was all his own.  

And far eastern business people quite like getting rid of cash in english football for many reasons.

Stand to be corrected by people with better knowledge than me though. 

That's how I understand it, but like you, I stand to be corrected.

Guest Kameron
48 minutes ago, the monk said:

So what is your theory on the spending cuts ?

He’s skint, he’s got more tap than a blind mans stick.  Constantly tapping up supporters to buy season tickets years in advance is not the sign of a wealthy owner.  I believe he had a pot of cash which is now long gone, he’ll be desperately trying to find a buyer to cut his losses, if he doesn’t were fcuked.

29 minutes ago, Kameron said:

He’s skint, he’s got more tap than a blind mans stick.  Constantly tapping up supporters to buy season tickets years in advance is not the sign of a wealthy owner.  I believe he had a pot of cash which is now long gone, he’ll be desperately trying to find a buyer to cut his losses, if he doesn’t were fcuked.

Alternatively, he, or his advisors, understood the P&S rules and were trying to raise legitimate funds beyond what he was allowed to contribute in loans.

Bristol City's owner is a Billionaire. I don't see him spending over and above what he's allowed to either. Is he skint too?