Garry Monk and Adam Reach both agree he's a striker now

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Large.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday boss Garry Monk has spoken about a chat he's had with Adam Reach where they discussed where his best position was, and both came to the conclusion that centre forward was the answer

Garry Monk explains: "I spoke to Adam and I think it's a case of, this season with the system we're using, where can we make him play where he can be most effective?

"He can move out wide, where he can do that job. But I spoke with him and we both agree that centrally is where he's going to be most effective.

"He can play deeper than that.

"But there's an opportunity to use him in certain games or certain situations where his quality in terms of that striker position can be effective.

"I thought he did some really good work (against Walsall).

"It's all about improving and getting used to it. Like all the others, the attitude is there."

Deluded. All part of the media positioning regarding our lack of real desire to bring anyone else in. Now we have all had the bad news that nothing happening, case of move on. Or that is what the club probably think.

31 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Can you explain the 'really good work' Reach produced against Walsall -  a certain game & situation - the first of the season in which Monk decided to play reach in that role and thinks it is something worth continuing with? The role in which Monk feels "will certainly be the most effective" for Reach.

I've already said that this may well be Monk opting to support his player rather than throwing him under the bus one game into the season. Managers do that kind of thing all the time.

I don't think Brown and Reach worked as a front two, but I'm also pretty confident that Monk doesn't see them as regular starters up front and will use them as attacking midfielders more than anything else. I doubt we'll start that pairing against Cardiff.

Many in this thread seem to have read it as Monk saying that he'll use Reach as his first choice centre forward, when he explicitly stated that he doesn't see him as an out-and-out striker.

Maybe I'm wrong - maybe Monk really does want to use Reach as a replacement for Fletcher, in which case I'll hold my hands up and say that I think he's lost the plot.

Let's wait and see first, though.

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Large.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday boss Garry Monk has spoken about a chat he's had with Adam Reach where they discussed where his best position was, and both came to the conclusion that centre forward was the answer

Garry Monk explains: "I spoke to Adam and I think it's a case of, this season with the system we're using, where can we make him play where he can be most effective?

"He can move out wide, where he can do that job. But I spoke with him and we both agree that centrally is where he's going to be most effective.

"He can play deeper than that.

"But there's an opportunity to use him in certain games or certain situations where his quality in terms of that striker position can be effective.

"I thought he did some really good work (against Walsall).

"It's all about improving and getting used to it. Like all the others, the attitude is there."

I agree with them also... I can see I am going out on a limb here. Reach is a "false nine", as that German bloke on the Guardian Football weekly podcast would say. 

He's also clearly the best striker of the ball we have at the club. I think he's going to get over 15 goals and as many assists, only limited by competition for places and the possibily of injury.

Lumping balls upto Reach and asking him to win headers against the League Two defenders of Walsall is'nt going to do Reach, or the team any favours.

Getting him on the ball around the penalty area and pressing and running the channels, with other forwards showing the same commitment (Rhodes, Izzy and Kanchunga) will pay dividends.

All we need now is the return of the capstone...

Big Adthe Nuhiu.

garymegson

18 minutes ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Deluded. All part of the media positioning regarding our lack of real desire to bring anyone else in. Now we have all had the bad news that nothing happening, case of move on. Or that is what the club probably think.

Reach is our most valuable player, after a five year spell in which we have managed to sell only Lucas Jaoa for any real value. Reach was a foward before we signed him. Reach can make a sucess of it, better that than leave him to rot.

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Reach is our most valuable player, after a five year spell in which we have managed to sell only Lucas Jaoa for any real value. Reach was a foward before we signed him. Reach can make a sucess of it, better that than leave him to rot.

He was? Who did he play as a forward for, I always thought he was a winger?

Just now, StudentOwl said:

He was? Who did he play as a forward for, I always thought he was a winger?

On 26 September 2015, Reach was loaned out to newly promoted Championship side Preston North End for three months.[59] He made his debut on the same day in a 1–1 draw at home against Wolverhampton Wanderers.[60] Having played his first three matches for the side in the left–midfield position, Reach played in the left–back position for the next two months.[61] He helped the club kept five out of the six consecutive clean sheets, playing in the left–back position between 20 October 2015 and 7 November 2015.[62] It wasn’t until on 15 December 2015 when Reach scored his first goal for Preston North End, in a 1–1 draw against Birmingham City.[63] A week on 26 December 2015, he scored his second goal for the club, in a 3–1 loss against Huddersfield Town.[64] After impressing during his first three months, Reach's loan was extended until the end of the season on 2 January 2016.[65] Since making his debut for Preston North End, Reach appeared in every matches for the side until he missed two matches, due to injury.[66] He scored his third goal for the club, in a 3–1 loss against Brentford on 23 January 2016.[67] Three weeks later on 13 February 2016, Reach scored his fourth goal for Preston North End, in a 2–1 win against Wolverhampton Wanderers.[68] Since returning to the first team, he has rotated into playing different positions, such as, left wing, left wing-back, as part of a front three and lone striker for the rest of the season.[69] Having finished the 2015–16 season, making thirty–six appearances and scoring four times in all competitions, Reach returned to his parent club.[70]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Reach

I only recall this as I remeber Adam Reach saying he'd played as a striker before, when Jos was picking him there.

He's not a target man, but if we play to his strenghs, and Beattie is as good as what Monk thinks he is, we will have a better player than we have seen over the last couple of seasons.

You can't fault Reach's commitment, unless its a challenge on the edge of our area, thats why I think he needs to be playing in the attacking third. 

Yes he will be asked to peel wide and deliver crosses, but he's also dangerous from the edge of the area, if we can get him on the ball there and for that, he needs to be played centrally, behind a Target man.