Best Captains Ever

Kopparberg

3 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Keane’s performance in Turin to help Man U come back from 2-0 down was an unbelievable case of leading by example, even more so given he was booked so would miss the final anyway.

I remember watching it back after a Wednesday game that night (think it was 1–1 v Newcastle with Phil Scott scoring). 

That must be akin to an evening of Nouvelle Cuisine 

Then fish chips n mushys on the way home with two bread cakes....

Sid.png.ecb3e5b3effb4d049cebf343d7760d0b.png

• Haha 2

I'd put Vinny Kompany up there for City. 

Shame about the injuries, but he was an absolute colossus for them when fit. 

Also - he had a healthy knack of scoring critical goals in their title winning seasons. 

If we’re talking about THE best captains then surely Michael Vaughan has to be right up there given the way he beat the Aussies at there own game to take the 2005 Ashes. How Andrew Strauss was knighted and Vaughan wasn’t is absolutely beyond me. IMHO, Vaughan is easily amongst the very best England captains in any sport of the past 30 years - man management, strategy, tactics, key decision making, gamesmanship, game management; Vaughan had the lot. 

• Thanks 1

Ron Atkinson said how Pearson wasn't the best player, but was best captain he ever had. Said how much better players at Wednesday respected him and listened to what he had to say. 

Crouch in his book talked a lot about Gerrard's infuence at Liverpool. He said it was him who rallied players at half time of THAT Champions League final. And if it wasn't for him Liverpool would have never turned it around. 

• Like 1