Reach Riddle

For those who think he should be considered for left wing back role, watch that 20 minute cameo from Penney yesterday Yes it was only 20 odd minutes, and he’ll have to do it on a regular basis, but he gave us a glimpse of what wing back play should be about He showed all these part time options up for what they really are, stop gaps. You saw him playing with purpose, driving forward, looking to drive crosses into dangerous areas. Three attempts at goal, a string of crosses, and a couple of crunching tackles. He has to keep that up, but those are aspects of his game that Reach will never match.

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Honestly he just doesn't have a place here anymore

He's ineffective in the positions where he would get a game
If we could get any sort of fee for him we should
I"ve been fan of his but his time here is clearly over now

You need to focus on the current season. He is part of Monk’s winning team. The invincibles. Why are you been negative?

Monkmanface

5 hours ago, Neon Nick said:

Might be worth playing both Reach and Penney down the left side.  Penney at LB, Reach further towards the front in LWB (?) role.  Reach is not a target-man, or even a formal striker, his thing is delivery to anybody who's in a position to strike, he gets a lot of assists.  But, if he see's a shot-on goal, he'll take it.  Penney-Reach just may compliment each other, ones' weaknesses are the others' strengths.  I don't know....

I'm willing to give Monk time, but if he starts playing fullbacks and wingbacks at the same time, then I'm out!

:duntmatter:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm willing to give Monk time, but if he starts playing fullbacks and wingbacks at the same time, then I'm out!

:duntmatter:

I’m against that also, though it did work back in the day, with the King Worthington pairing

• Thanks 1

It puzzled me a bit listening to Monk's post match comments that he and Reach spoke about where he best fits into our new system and they came to the conclusion that he should play centrally.

To me, his main assets are his engine and his crossing ability (and he used to have a mean shot on him). Although he's not a natural wingback, that position at least gives him the opportunity to play to his strengths.

Played centrally, he tends to struggle more often than not. I suppose he could play behind the strikers and add some energy to our midfield, but it looks like Brown is tailor-made for that position.

Ultimately, it appears to me that the system has changed and we no longer have a natural place for Reach. He's a very good player, but unless he can adapt his game a bit, he may no longer be a good player for us.

I wonder if he's going to be used as a squad player rather than a regular starter? That's fine in some regards and I'm sure he'll be used to help alter our approach if needed, but with one season left on his contract it might make more sense to try to recoup a fee for a player who must still be one of our most saleable assets - let him go to a team where he's a more natural fit and use the money to add players who suit the new Wednesday a bit more?

• Like 3

Guest Kameron
13 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

During lock down he should have bought every coaching manual and football tactic journal going.. 

Read the print off them then at least come back with a basic underpinning knowledge of how to play football ....

At present hes an athlete ...

Nothing else....

Like a lot of his generation fitness levels abound ...

Hes our "Theo Walcott".

Gonna be a slow developer .....

In the meantime we haven't the time to fanny about.

Get rid .....

How’s about telling him to go and play in his natural position, over coaching and constantly trying  to out think the opposition is why we’re awful to watch.  Get em fit build up some team spirit and find a way of playing that suits the squad, football is simple, nob heads like monk from the school of coaching badges are killing the game.

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I've never been a fan but I do wish we would keep him at LW. He is absolutely not an all rounder, he is not versatile. If he was versatile he would play reasonably in these positions we try him in.

Even as a left winger, he can’t do what Penney did. He doesn’t have that turn of pace to get to the byeline, so unless he developed some Waddlesque trickery, he wouldn’t be a success there either

• Like 1

Really surprised he hasn't been tried at wing-back.

During that terrible injury spell a few seasons back, he played several games as full back. He didn't pull up any trees but he was surprisingly adequate in an unnatural position.

Given he is a winger with some defensive experience it seems like a natural fit. At least more natural than Harris.

8 minutes ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

Really surprised he hasn't been tried at wing-back.

During that terrible injury spell a few seasons back, he played several games as full back. He didn't pull up any trees but he was surprisingly adequate in an unnatural position.

Given he is a winger with some defensive experience it seems like a natural fit. At least more natural than Harris.

Can't tackle.

• Thanks 1