Reach Riddle

Was looking at some games when he first came and played wide left. He was very good going forward, and put a shift in getting back to defend. Since then he had a short purple patch playing wide right, but the opposition worked him out quickly (cutting in on his left peg) and since then he has shown he isn't good enough playing a variety of other positions.

He didn't want to play wide left from even when CC was here, so I'd be telling him he either plays wide left (if he can secure a place there given the others who can play that position) or I'd move him on.

3 hours ago, swfc1983 said:

I’ll start by saying he’s absolutely not a striker his touch is not anywhere near good enough to play through the middle full stop, but then what position is he best at? He’s been poor for two years now but I have sympathy that he can’t nail down a single spot in the team. Is he simply a “jack of all trades master of none” type or are we failing to play him in his true position?

left midfield in a 4. Nowhere else.

Apologies not read this thread, and I don’t usually like to slag off players. But Reach’s performance today in that position was one of the worst I can remember.  Never mind not making the correct runs or holding the ball up like strikers need to do,  he couldn’t even control the ball when it came to him.  

Out jumped for every ball 

Barely remember him making a success pass to a team mate 

At the moment he’s a shadow of the player that was hitting those wonder goals 

Edited by Owls-Fan
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

Was looking at some games when he first came and played wide left. He was very good going forward, and put a shift in getting back to defend. Since then he had a short purple patch playing wide right, but the opposition worked him out quickly (cutting in on his left peg) and since then he has shown he isn't good enough playing a variety of other positions.

He didn't want to play wide left from even when CC was here, so I'd be telling him he either plays wide left (if he can secure a place there given the others who can play that position) or I'd move him on.

I don't remember ever seeing anything saying Reach didn't want to play on the left? Is that true?

I remember CC saying this in an interview and Reach himself in a later interview. It wasn't a "I'm not playing there" type of thing, he said he didn't see himself as a left sided player as he thought he offered more in a central and/or advanced role.

Sadly, he has rarely produced in those positions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, parajack said:

Oh yeah? 'Nando' hasnt turned up(on the pitch) for long enough in my opinion & allegedly wasnt putting in the effort...made a mint in wages out of S6, & now without a club in the Championship,or allegedly anywhere as far as i know....And someone disagreeing about a player,doesn't mean they know jack..****..FF should have been shown the door after the Norwich game.

I know who I'd rather have in my squad , mud slinging at certain players ain't going to achieve owt, but Rhodes Reach Fessi were 3 of many that took a nosedive in form during the second season under Carlos Pudil Lees Westwood Hunt Wallace all struggled to find the standards of the first 18 months .

1 hour ago, fudge27 said:

Well you don't seem to grasp the concept that selling players for profit isn't directly comparing them, so I'd say there's a likely chance given that level of intelligence 😉

🖕 of fudge.

3 hours ago, swfc1983 said:

I’ll start by saying he’s absolutely not a striker his touch is not anywhere near good enough to play through the middle full stop, but then what position is he best at? He’s been poor for two years now but I have sympathy that he can’t nail down a single spot in the team. Is he simply a “jack of all trades master of none” type or are we failing to play him in his true position?

He's a winger with a great delivery who can't take on a man.

Not sure we will play a system that suits him. We should sell.

3 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

He’s a LWB for me.  Thought Penney did well enough when he came on today, but still feel Reach could offer something in that position.  Let them compete for a starting spot, with Harris or Odubajo playing down the right.

I’d agree.

Just now, Steve Down South said:

He’s a LWB for me.  Thought Penney did well enough when he came on today, but still feel Reach could offer something in that position.  Let them compete for a starting spot, with Harris or Odubajo playing down the right.

He can't play there really, you need some defensive discipline and you've got to be able to put a tackle in and they are his biggest weaknesses. 

6 minutes ago, gizowl said:

He can't play there really, you need some defensive discipline and you've got to be able to put a tackle in and they are his biggest weaknesses. 

I would argue he has defensive discipline and is more than willing to track back.  I also think he can get away with his reluctance to tackle in the LWB role - sometimes you have to focus on the positives a player can bring (in Reach’s case putting quality balls into the box with his left foot) rather than worry too much about what they can’t do.

• Like 3

Might be worth playing both Reach and Penney down the left side.  Penney at LB, Reach further towards the front in LWB (?) role.  Reach is not a target-man, or even a formal striker, his thing is delivery to anybody who's in a position to strike, he gets a lot of assists.  But, if he see's a shot-on goal, he'll take it.  Penney-Reach just may compliment each other, ones' weaknesses are the others' strengths.  I don't know....

7 hours ago, Steve Down South said:

Couldn’t agree more.