Enough is Enough

9 hours ago, parajack said:

Sorry mate,that wasn't any funnier than your other quip....get a better joke writer!! Few comedians on here,judging by some of the posts..why constantly refer to the second half of last season? He didn't cost us anything,Fletchers injury,Covid,& the players on(and off) the pitch,were the ones putting in diabolical displays week in,week out.Judge the manager on this season, & leave last where it belongs...in the SWFC history books....Thats where the first half of the season will be too....

Surely a manager is judged on his latest endeavours.

Sir Alf Ramsey won us the World Cup, but it didn't stop him getting his cards.

I accept that he can't go on the pitch and play for us, and you're right to say that it was the players putting in duff performances.

But it's always the case that the manager carries the can for that.

There's no doubt that things took a turn for the worse when Fletcher got injured, but Monk had no answer to that and Fletcher's now permanently absent.

Nothing is certain in sport, and Monk may turn out to be the greatest manager who ever lived.

But, playing the percentages, the odds are that this season will be a continuation of the second half of last and we will be relegated as a result.

Frankly, in our current predicament it would require a top Championship manager like Colin to keep us up, and surely even you wouldn't assert that Monk is at that level PJ.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Imagine the irony if the club managed to pull it off and organised it, including a lap of the stain 😁

Imagine if the Blades had never set Wilder on...

Imagine if Cellino had never left Leeds...

Imagine if Hooper hadn't got injured just before the playoff semi...

Imagine if Ten-Bellies hadn't stabbed us in the back...

Imagine if Taylor Swift had said "yes" when I asked her out...

lol

Didn’t see the whole game just the highlights. The fact that we didn’t play our only recognised striker against a league 2 does speak volumes. Sounds also like izzy brown out of position or different to the last game where by all accounts he was brilliant . Why did Dawson start? Did he start against Leicester? 

I think after the first 5 or 6 games we will be in a better position to judge the management, but agreed it doesn’t look good. 

Not time to panic yet though despite some questionable decisions early on.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PortlandOwl said:

Why did Sky Sport pundits keep banging on about Rhodes as a goal threat....he just isn't anymore.

I did think that was odd

Either:

1)  They're personal friends with him/his family
2) They wanted to put across a view that sounded knowledgable (which is fair enough -  we all would do that)

Owlstalk Shop

I was talking to my mates last night and we all agreed that Monk has taken all the passion and excitement out of watching Wednesday.

I also think the Chairman is partly to blame too.

Quality players not replaced.

Rubbish results.

Rubbish performances.

1 win at Hillsborough in 2020!

1 out and out striker.

Not a lot to get excited about is there!

Yesterday’s game was a poor watch yes. But if you cannot handle that then for your own mental health it might be worth skipping this season. It’s going to be a very tough one for us fans. We’ll have worse games but the objective is safety and it’s a season long one and won’t be achieved quickly. 

Edited by CF_Owl

26 minutes ago, PortlandOwl said:

Why did Sky Sport pundits keep banging on about Rhodes as a goal threat....he just isn't anymore.

I’d have preferred that to the constant M6 updates on ESPN.

Funny tho’ and two of the big things I learned from yesterday’s game was the M6 is Britain’s longest motorway and the A38 takes you more directly to Walsall’s stadium (sort of knew that anyway tho’ but nice to be reminded).

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, John Howard said:

After supporting Wednesday for over 30 years through thick and thin ....sadly more thin than thick!! Today's performance means that until Monk goes I shall go into hibernation  . Izzy looked a good player against Leicester so today we play him out of position and he looks average . The whole team looked average against  ....Walsall .it was like watching paint dry . If anyone can see anything positive about the future then delusional is the only word .

Penney played well .However he will be playing centre forward next game .

Rant over ,however  untilt he man with no clue goes sadly I will be watching paint dry .

After all these years you would think you had learned something about the game? 

the cup game didn’t matter. We only have Rhodes currently as an alleged striker. I understand he wouldn’t risk him getting injured in a meaningless game? 

what team would you have started with ? 

4 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Surely a manager is judged on his latest endeavours.

Sir Alf Ramsey won us the World Cup, but it didn't stop him getting his cards.

I accept that he can't go on the pitch and play for us, and you're right to say that it was the players putting in duff performances.

But it's always the case that the manager carries the can for that.

There's no doubt that things took a turn for the worse when Fletcher got injured, but Monk had no answer to that and Fletcher's now permanently absent.

Nothing is certain in sport, and Monk may turn out to be the greatest manager who ever lived.

But, playing the percentages, the odds are that this season will be a continuation of the second half of last and we will be relegated as a result.

Frankly, in our current predicament it would require a top Championship manager like Colin to keep us up, and surely even you wouldn't assert that Monk is at that level PJ.

None of us know......do we?..this season will show us where monk is,in the management hierarchy,some would agree with your analysis,others will differ(based on monks record)..As an example he played(and captained) the Swans through 4 different divisions,before going onto manage them...thats a considerable record of loyalty to one club.

Monk hasn't managed similar in management,but in the Championship one persons 'success' record,is another persons failure....Less money,no(or smaller crowds) FFP rules still potentially lurking in the background(though suspended for this season) will see just surviving as a Championship club,an achievement(money wise) Well,in truth,like some Premier League clubs,it was before Covid 19...

If Barnsley & Rotherham can deal with a relegation,and bounce straight back,Wednesday i am sure could do the some,and if it was part of the 'journey' required to turn us around,i would deal with it.It doesn't scare me.because as a Wednesday fan since the 60s,I have been there before.

I don't actually think it will transpire though.I expect monks team to put in some good performances,but maybe not good enough to win matches,due to missed chances,may see a lot of draws & 'bore draws' until he gets the balance of the team right.

It is,& will continue to be,a 'work in progress' its not a done deal yet,far from it.Season will i hope see us start to harvest points,and settle into a side thats hard to beat,with quick counter attacking WB creating chances for whichever strikers are there to capitalize. That is the 'unknown' really,& my only current major concern,though i dont think its fair to hold monk responsible for that.

Ultimately of course,if it all goes pear shaped,he will be

• Like 1