England v Iceland

Guest Bulgaria

15 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I don't watch German football so I am literally questioning what Sancho is about and where the hype comes from

Averages a goal and an assist in every 2 games for Dortmund. Literally torn Bayern a new bum hole in the German super cup.

Frustrating 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

Southgate got a lucky route in the World Cup and failed to beat any decent team in open play. Sweden are crap before anyone mewntions them. He will live off it for the next 4 years.

All that attacking talent and we're playing scared football.

He';; probably mention possession and how we kept the ball but didn't do enough with it. Well we won't do Gareth if the majority of out team like to play around the halfway line.

Truth is, we weren't actually that good at the World Cup, just very lucky for once. 

I've been watching England for what, 40 years now and there has always been this ability for the national side to drain the skill and positivity from players who are brilliant for their clubs.  

Anyone questioning Southgate over a few bad games needs their head checked. Don't know why people are so hysterical other than just resorting to the fickle nature of being a football fan.

Reckon Germany are going through an identity crisis because they're yet to win a Nations League game?

• Haha 1

His interviews didn't help. 

Dier played well? He was so Fr out of his depth it'd be embarrassing if we play him there against a top tier side

Couple with that, the selection. 3-5-2 you needed either Mount or Foden or Grealish in the mid to link to the forward thibking players, the midfield 3 he picked were totally unsuitable to that formation

Guest Mcguigan
3 hours ago, 0wl18 said:

I don’t understand why the media aren’t holiday Southgate to account for the inclusion of Phillips and, Dier and, no recognised left back. 

Thought Phillips had a better game than Winks to be honest in the roles both were taking up.

Didn't need the two of them in there though.

From what I've seen, Phillips plays best as the one in front of the defense without the responsibility of pushing forward, instead dropping back between the centre backs allowing the fullbacks forward. Winks plays better when he can push forward from deep but that can leave the centre backs a bit isolated.

Down to how to Southgate set them up for me rather than players.

1 hour ago, Putney said:

Anyone questioning Southgate over a few bad games needs their head checked. Don't know why people are so hysterical other than just resorting to the fickle nature of being a football fan.

Reckon Germany are going through an identity crisis because they're yet to win a Nations League game?

I guess 14 years as national team manager with plenty of success has bought him some time but with the players they have available, their performance in the last World Cup and their lack of form in 2 nations league tournaments, questions are being raised about whether it is time for them to seek a fresh approach.

In terms of us, the way Southgate set up the team in the last two games having not selected a single player comfortable playing on the left side deserves to be questioned. 

He then says we set up to try and contain Denmark, controlled the game then went for a win late on with more expansive players coming on. Was there really a need to set the team up so negatively against this opposition? 

2 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

Thought Phillips had a better game than Winks to be honest in the roles both were taking up.

Didn't need the two of them in there though.

From what I've seen, Phillips plays best as the one in front of the defense without the responsibility of pushing forward, instead dropping back between the centre backs allowing the fullbacks forward. Winks plays better when he can push forward from deep but that can leave the centre backs a bit isolated.

Down to how to Southgate set them up for me rather than players.

Did winks play? 

1 hour ago, edmontonowl said:

Think these games give mamagers a chance to experiment in a fairly competitve environment.

Is it that important to win this Nations League thing? World Cup and Euros are way more important

Nations League is like a second chance thing, if you mess up qualifying then success in the Nations League can offer a back door route to the World Cup or Euro's. 

I agree to an extent these games can be used for experimenting but then I would rather we experiment by trying something a little more attacking than playing a lop sided team of defenders and holding midfielders, not much of an experiment that.

Yea the experiments should be around 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 and 3-5-2 

But in those formations there are different types of players needed. If you wana play 2 of Rice, Henderson, Winks, Dier (as a CM), Phillips, I'd even include ward Prowse in that too then you need to go 4-2-3-1.

If you go 3-5-2 imo Sterling doesn't play cos he's not natural as a CF and doesn't look the same player. It's worrying we still try and shoe horn all our best players into a team regardless of if it works or not 

• Thanks 1