Plus points

1 minute ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

For now perm two from Rhodes / Kachunga and windass, be very surprised if we don't sign a decent prem loan by end of window

Well Howson says Monk is looking to bring in another 3 strikers, so surely we can get one in next week.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm pretty sure Monk knows that midfield is Brown's best position.

It looked like today was pretty much treated as a second friendly, and with Windass and Kachunga not yet fully up to speed and Rhodes needed for next week's league game, a makeshift strikeforce were given a runout to get a few more minutes in their legs.

I hope to God Rhodes isn't playing next week 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

For now perm two from Rhodes / Kachunga and windass, be very surprised if we don't sign a decent prem loan by end of window

Hope we do sign 1 to pair with windass, Rhodes is shot, we don't have time to keep giving him chances

• Like 1

Guest domSWFC

I thought Luongo was the best player on the pitch. Did the dirty work, recovered possession. He's key to allowing Bannan and Brown to play. 

Brown definitely better with 2 forwards ahead of him, instead of being one of them himself. 

I'd start the 11 that finished that game against Cardiff. 

Guest domSWFC
6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Well Howson says Monk is looking to bring in another 3 strikers, so surely we can get one in next week.  

Didn't he say we weren't in for Kachunga 20 mins before we confirmed the signing? 

3 minutes ago, debram said:

Hope we do sign 1 to pair with windass, Rhodes is shot, we don't have time to keep giving him chances

Agree..Windass links up better, runs faster, and daft as it sounds...looks bothered about it...It simply has not worked with us and Jordan Rhodes...I know it takes some accepting, but it stands out stark

• Like 2

Sorry but Dele is not Championship standard at the moment, played like he had got his boots on the wrong feet . 
Penney changed the dynamic of the side 

Luongo had a very good game especially the first half 

Windass is a good clever player 

Brown again will be good. In his position 

We are crying out for a presence up front 

I really hope we can get Juitewieck , exactly what we need 

• Like 2

I was pretty disappointed in how we played, but looking at other Championships team results seems the lack of pre-season might be affecting everyone somewhat and it's difficult to draw too many conclusions in how we're stacking up.

Very clear we need that striker though.

4 minutes ago, fingyfop said:

I was pretty disappointed in how we played, but looking at other Championships team results seems the lack of pre-season might be affecting everyone somewhat and it's difficult to draw too many conclusions in how we're stacking up.

So why are the lower league teams who haven't played for 6 months beating them?

Just not bothered...

2 minutes ago, fingyfop said:

Not so much about the result, though I’m glad we’re through, it’s more the way we set up to play. This team is crying out for a coach that encourages them to play football. That midfield in particular, is capable of dominating the opposition, but too often we give it away by trying to play long

51 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Thought exact same.

Brown looked a class above when played in his natural position. Wasted up top.

Penny looked threatening and few decent balls in. 

I thougt Dele was much better than made out. Looked to drive and make things happen. Constantly getting beyond their defence and looks very strong. Few sloppy passes though but it also came from players not continuing runs.

Couple of good defensive performances.

Moses looked a threat.

Rest were mainly awful though and the tactics were poor overall, shocking first half.

Reach with one of the most ineffective displays I’ve seen in 30 years of watching wednesday though.

Got to admit that Reach has been rubbish for some time.

But I still think there's a good player in there. He's just been made to look rubbish because he's been played out of position for about 18 months. He can run all day and he's got a magical left foot. He seems ideal for the position we bought him for - left wing-back (or left midfield/left-back) but we never play him there and I think his confidence has taken a right bashing as a result.

Instead we play Harris who does a good job tracking back and shows lots of skill on the ball but hardly ever produces a decent cross (and when he does it's always from the by-line. For a wing-back to hold his defensive position it's so much easier if he can ping in crosses from deep which Harris can't do.). Reach has much more potential for either picking a pass from out wide or being a threat with his shooting - he's altogether a much more intelligent player than Harris.

It's now looking even less likely that Reach will be played wide left because Penney has shown that capacity for swinging lots of threatening balls in from the left. I'm sure either of them would provide more assists than Harris over a season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not so much about the result, though I’m glad we’re through, it’s more the way we set up to play. This team is crying out for a coach that encourages them to play football. That midfield in particular, is capable of dominating the opposition, but too often we give it away by trying to play long

Which we’ll do even more if we sign a target man

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
52 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Thought he was carrying a spare tyre myself. Have a look at his waistline next time you see him.

Well I did say he seemed to fill the net a bit more! 

1 minute ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Which we’ll do even more if we sign a target man

Sadly yes, unless we can bring in one who has the pace to run in behind, and then the tactic might occasionally pay off. If it’s more of the same, booting long looking for somebody’s head, then it will continue to be a bore fest

Rhodes and Windass came on, Brown in usual position, we looked a threat. Probably how we start next week (if striker doesn’t come in).

Amazing how people can predict the season after a pre-season 1st round of Coco Pops Cup. Chill out people. 

• Haha 1

Luongo looked great in the holding role. 

Fizz looked really strong , needs to pass better. Though I'm pretty sure you don't spend 10 years in Man City's academy if you can't pass.

Brown looked really good when not up front.

Penney looked good. Wing backs playing on their natural side is the way forward.