Matt Le Tissier is cancelled

@owlstalk

On 06/09/2020 at 18:18, 1867owl said:

Yeah - so I'm completely correct in saying that he isn't allowed to air his opinions then, if indeed Sky sacked him because of them.

Glad we cleared that up.

Thanks for your input 👍

Well he can, but if his employer isn’t fond of them he’ll rightly be binned off. He could also just air his opinions to those who are closer to him rather than in a public forum where thousands of people will see it. He could probably also air his views in a less harsh and direct manner, where you open a dialogue between people and not just preach offensive nonsense. 

• Like 3

On 06/09/2020 at 19:33, mattitheowl said:

So if I walked in to work tomorrow and said "you know what boss, in my opinion, you are a c*nt, I hate black people, all jews should die in hell and I support Sheffield United" I'd still be in a job by 5pm?

My contract has a statement in it that says something along the lines of "must represent the company professionally at all times and not do anything to bring the company in to question".  

hahahaha, I love how you put “and I support Sheffield United” at the end just encase you hadn’t gone far enough! 

You are bang on though there are countless examples of people being shown the door for expressing views that a company does not endorse. 

There was always a thing where you could argue it’s not company business if you are not in uniform / work hours I wonder how that works with social media I suppose if you state your workplace in your bio or anywhere in a comment on your timeline you could get sacked.

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Basically (and only)  because he's been spouting off some right nonsense

He deserves everything he gets for the bile he's been tweeting

Agreed. He’s been non-stop too. Real shame because I always thought he came across well on Soccer Saturday and some of the charity football events on tele. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the anti-mask, covid deniers really don’t seem stable with their views. 

On 05/09/2020 at 19:11, Ever the pessimist said:

True. But there are countless people who I know I will disagree with, so don’t entertain them. Or, if I do, I follow them for what I value hem for: Ian Brown has been a hero of mine, spouted some right poo on twitter today, but as he’s not a virologist I don’t take him seriously on masks and vaccinations. Likewise le Tissier. If a consultant epidemiologist started talking about indie music or penalty taking then I would grant them equally little regard.

I was gutted when I saw Ian Brown tweet that. One of my heroes. 

• Like 1

On 05/09/2020 at 18:17, Ever the pessimist said:

The great thing with Twitter is, that if you don’t want to read stuff by people you don’t agree with..... don’t follow them.

That is a funny clip.... but also, I’m not on Twitter so wouldn’t have known anything about it, yet here I am reading all about it  

😭

Sky are a multi million (billion?) pound business.

You can't have one of your better known pundits going on social media and posting crackpot theories regarding covid and facemasks. 

It is a pretty dangerous message to be promoting, particularly when coming from someone who is quite well known.

It was idiocy on his part and, if it did lead to his dismissal, then so be it.

I would feel exactly the same if you had someone of a hard left political persuasion posting inflammatory stuff too.

Edited by SiJ