Matt Le Tissier is cancelled

@owlstalk

8 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

If it were that simple though nobody would follow anyone.  There won't be another person in the world who shares the same opinion as you on every subject.

That and retweets and trending kill the theory.

True. But there are countless people who I know I will disagree with, so don’t entertain them. Or, if I do, I follow them for what I value hem for: Ian Brown has been a hero of mine, spouted some right poo on twitter today, but as he’s not a virologist I don’t take him seriously on masks and vaccinations. Likewise le Tissier. If a consultant epidemiologist started talking about indie music or penalty taking then I would grant them equally little regard.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

I dunno how someones brain sorta makes a link to "Folk wearing masks" to Anne Frank....quite err..frankly

Yep. That is a bit stupid but we should allow him to explain before he is “cancelled”. It might have been wholly misjudged and not been sinister at all. 

Guest Bulgaria
30 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I am absolutely opposed to racist, sexist, homophobic or any kind of bigoted comment or content not only on social media but on any media and in general conversation BUT I what I hate more is this cancel culture we have adopted and the ease in which people take offence (whether it is merited or not). 

I'm not saying people can say anything without repercussions but we shouldn’t be so quick to condemn.  

Amen to that.

2 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

It’s stupid in the same way the old ‘Orwell would have been arrested for terrorism’ is. Both accurate, but entirely anachronistic.

It's an extreme way to emphasise a point

Like Godwin's law - and often there is truth when invoking those examples but because of the extremes are commonly ridiculed

• Like 1

Good lord, what has happened to our country? What’s happened to free speech, the right to protest etc etc. Le tissier is entitled to his opinion as much as Gary Linaker is. You don’t have to agree with what folks say, but where will society end up if we aren’t allowed to debate and discuss things of concern. I think LeTissier makes a very good point about how the law isn’t always right....in fact sometimes it’s unbelievably wrong. Maybe that’s the point we should be debating, not if masks work or not? 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Plonk said:

Good lord, what has happened to our country? What’s happened to free speech, the right to protest etc etc. Le tissier is entitled to his opinion as much as Gary Linaker is. You don’t have to agree with what folks say, but where will society end up if we aren’t allowed to debate and discuss things of concern. I think LeTissier makes a very good point about how the law isn’t always right....in fact sometimes it’s unbelievably wrong. Maybe that’s the point we should be debating, not if masks work or not? 

Nobody is saying he can't have an opinion.  They are calling him out on it and pointing out how hopelessly stupid it is.  The problem you have today is that everyone thinks their opinion has some value to society simply because they have X million followers.  And those X million then parrot the rubbish they spout.  It used to be that someone would spout an opinion and their close friends would either agree or put them right and it would spread organically and either die a death because it was rubbish or grow because it made sense.  Now you just get bombs dropped amongst millions of people and it becomes binary.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just not bothered...

22 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-09-05 at 16.09.28.jpg

First time I've ever really seen any Matt Le-Tissier tweets

Turns out he's a right bellend who in my opinion has some views that he's not fully expressing if you know what I mean

What's he not "fully expressing", what are you suggesting? 

8 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

Nobody is saying he can't have an opinion.   

A couple of people on this thread have asserted that Sky binned him off because of his views.

If that's true, then he isn't allowed an opinion.

Or he can, but he'll lose his job as a result.

2 minutes ago, 1867owl said:

What on earth are you banging on about?

Do you understand what I posted?

Was it complicated for you?

Calm down darling
What I'm explaining to you is that in life in general employers are sensitive to the views and opinions of their employees and can be affected by it
So if for example, one of your employees started posting political views on their social media that created an issue then you'd be tempted to sack them 

That's how life works now 

There you go... 

x

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Calm down darling
What I'm explaining to you is that in life in general employers are sensitive to the views and opinions of their employees and can be affected by it
So if for example, one of your employees started posting political views on their social media that created an issue then you'd be tempted to sack them 

That's how life works now 

There you go... 

x

Yeah - so I'm completely correct in saying that he isn't allowed to air his opinions then, if indeed Sky sacked him because of them.

Glad we cleared that up.

Thanks for your input 👍

1 hour ago, 1867owl said:

A couple of people on this thread have asserted that Sky binned him off because of his views.

If that's true, then he isn't allowed an opinion.

Or he can, but he'll lose his job as a result.

So if I walked in to work tomorrow and said "you know what boss, in my opinion, you are a c*nt, I hate black people, all jews should die in hell and I support Sheffield United" I'd still be in a job by 5pm?

My contract has a statement in it that says something along the lines of "must represent the company professionally at all times and not do anything to bring the company in to question".  

Just not bothered...

1 hour ago, 1867owl said:

Yeah - so I'm completely correct in saying that he isn't allowed to air his opinions then

Wrong (again)

He's perfectly within his rights to say what he wants

But he (quite rightly) won't be working for his employer as a result and as per his contract

It's called REAL LIFE

You should try living in it x

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

So if I walked in to work tomorrow and said "you know what boss, in my opinion, you are a c*nt, I hate black people, all jews should die in hell and I support Sheffield United" I'd still be in a job by 5pm?

My contract has a statement in it that says something along the lines of "must represent the company professionally at all times and not do anything to bring the company in to question".  

You mean how things really work in real life?

Yep - bang on

Owlstalk Shop

Le Tissier is entitled to his opinions, but likewise his employer is entitled to give him the boot if they feel said views bring them into disrepute. 

That's assuming his recent crackpot ramblings were a factor in him getting his P45. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Yeah I know.

So once again, he's not entitled to share his opinions as it means he'll get sacked.

Like @owlstalk, you're agreeing with me but making out you're disagreeing with me.

Bizarre.

44 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Wrong (again)

He's perfectly within his rights to say what he wants

But he (quite rightly) won't be working for his employer as a result and as per his contract

It's called REAL LIFE

You should try living in it x

Yeah, so being sacked means he's NOT entitled to share his views within the constraints of his profession.

Like I've said.

You're struggling so much with the basics as always, so I'll leave it there with you.

😂😂😂