Jump to content

Rhodes being saved for the Cardiff game


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Word on the street is that Jordan Rhodes is preferred striker at the club but isn't starting today as he's being saved by Garry Monk  for the Cardiff match

 

Fully agree. Said it when the match was on.

 

It's not ridiculous as is being intimated on here.

 

If Rhodes starts today and winds up injured or suspended then Monk wouldn't have done right for some people then either.

 

If you offer me going into a cup we won't win against League Two Walsall with no striker, or going into our first Championship game, in a divsion we're starting on minus 12 points - it's a no brainer for me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Word on the street is that Jordan Rhodes is preferred striker at the club but isn't starting today as he's being saved by Garry Monk  for the Cardiff match

 

Doesn't make the slightest bit of sense. We've had a single preseason game.. everyone could use more match sharpness.. and it's a full week to recover before the next game.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Tbh I don't think Rhodes would have had an impact on the game or result even if he'd started, but would have spared Monk some of the criticism for not starting a striker and drawing a blank. 

May not have had an impact but it would have given the opportunity for Brown to play in a position where he would have been effective 

 

no great suprise that when both strikers were introduced Brown dropped back and became more involved and looked a much better player

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

May not have had an impact but it would have given the opportunity for Brown to play in a position where he would have been effective 

 

no great suprise that when both strikers were introduced Brown dropped back and became more involved and looked a much better player


yes, and that is why Monk comes in for criticism. FDB is not ready to make the immediate impact Brown can, so Monk compromised both areas of the team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/09/2020 at 13:55, @owlstalk said:


To summarise..

Our fans...

 

"get rid of Rhodes he's rubbish"
"I'd rather us play an under  23 than Rhodes"
"Rhodes is finished at  Wednesday"
"his legs have gone he is rubbish"
"Rhodes  couldn't hit a barn door..."
"Rhodes is the worst signing we have ever made"
"Get Rhodes out of our club"
"Do anything to get rid of Jordan Rhodes'


Our fans see todays lineup

"Why is Rhodes not playing?"
"Rhodes should be starting"
"It's mad that Monk's not picked Rhodes"
"Rhodes should be up front today"
"The lad needs to play"

 

 

lol

 

My exact words were “Well that says everything about what Monk thinks of Rhodes”.
 

I hope Monk and Beattie can turn Rhodes around but I can’t see that happening - he didn’t look significantly better when he came on did he? 
 

The sooner Rhodes leaves the better for all concerned. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If he does play Rhodes he needs to play him from the start and keep him on the pitch for the full 90mins (unless injured) and do that for a decent run of games. He also needs some quality service (like he got at Blackburn and Huddersfield).
 

Monk himself is being given a fresh start himself despite vastly disappointing in the recent past. Perhaps he can extend that same approach to Rhodes.

 

If he doesn’t fancy him then move him on but he is a model professional and doesn’t deserve shoddy management. I hope the move to no.20 has been done to change his fortunes, not to send him a signal. That would be reprehensible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/09/2020 at 13:55, @owlstalk said:


To summarise..

Our fans...

 

"get rid of Rhodes he's rubbish"
"I'd rather us play an under  23 than Rhodes"
"Rhodes is finished at  Wednesday"
"his legs have gone he is rubbish"
"Rhodes  couldn't hit a barn door..."
"Rhodes is the worst signing we have ever made"
"Get Rhodes out of our club"
"Do anything to get rid of Jordan Rhodes'


Our fans see todays lineup

"Why is Rhodes not playing?"
"Rhodes should be starting"
"It's mad that Monk's not picked Rhodes"
"Rhodes should be up front today"
"The lad needs to play"

 

 

lol

 

The devil has so many advocates.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

To be honest I dont understand what Huddersfield of league 1 and mid table Blackburn had that was such good quality for Rhodes to thrive in compared to us having our best team on paper this millenium. Weird innit. 

Weird indeed that despite such a fantastic personal scoring record those team didn’t do better.

Big difference was that those teams got the ball forward much quicker than we do and they had quality crossers of the ball like a Roberts and Marshall. At Blackburn Rhodes benefitted by playing with Gestede, who at the time was a handful and would draw defenders away from Rhodes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...