Todays Lineup - Here's how the Owls lineup today

Just now, swfcjack27 said:

I think I’m the only Wednesday fan with a bit of faith JR can rediscover his old form, today would’ve been a good chance for him to show it. Disappointed. 

I was hoping to see him start too.

Is there any chance Monk's not starting him as he knows he's starting against Cardiff and doesn't want to fully risk him? He's the only player we don't technically have a replacement for.

• Like 1

I think I’m the only Wednesday fan with a bit of faith JR can rediscover his old form, today would’ve been a good chance for him to show it. Disappointed. 

I think there is still a player in there somewhere. However, what has become obvious, is that he is most effective when he plays alongside a target man. When we sign one, I suspect he will play more.

I felt like the club were trying to create that impression over the summer, releasing the interview with Luongo talking about how lethal he looked in training etc...

However, between leaving the number 9 shirt vacant and leaving him out today it appears that isn't the case, we basically seem to be waiting for his contract to run out.

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think that is a pretty accurate statement Jim

But then again NO Sheffield Wednesday fan seems to rate Rhodes so it would be hypocritical to slate Monk for not picking him

Or it could be that he doesn't want to risk Rhodes picking up an injury and not being available for the start of the league.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is like on Football Manager when you hit 'select team' and it picks a random selection and then you think what and so have to delete all and then start again but instead Monk has clicked on 'play' instead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, swfcjack27 said:

Exactly this, with all due respect to Walsall (and they'll probably beat us now hah) but you have a striker who needs to rediscover his goalscoring form, you're playing a team from a lower division who haven't played competitively since March and they have quite a few academy youngsters in the team. You've got to pick Rhodes for this, experienced striker and chance to score goals, crazy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

The problem is you can’t play Rhodes as the main striker, it just doesn’t work.

He needs to play off somebody and we don’t have anybody so might as well try something different.

Looking forward to seeing the young lad in midfield 

Agree pal, always looked lively alongside Fletch. Fed off the scraps of Gustede at Blackburn too 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrgund said:

Exactly this, with all due respect to Walsall (and they'll probably beat us now hah) but you have a striker who needs to rediscover his goalscoring form, you're playing a team from a lower division who haven't played competitively since March and they have quite a few academy youngsters in the team. You've got to pick Rhodes for this, experienced striker and chance to score goals, crazy.

Being saved for the Cardiff game mate

Sensible management

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think that is a pretty accurate statement Jim

But then again NO Sheffield Wednesday fan seems to rate Rhodes so it would be hypocritical to slate Monk for not picking him

Totally agree Neil. I've always felt unless you play him alongside a target man then there's no point in playing him. We haven't got a target man so that option goes out of the window so to speak? I just think for another season we're likely to have arguably the clubs best paid player used as a bit part player or not involved at all which is a shocking state of affairs IMO. And as for using Reach as a forward? By far and away the most overrated player I've seen in the last 10 years here?

5 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

The problem is you can’t play Rhodes as the main striker, it just doesn’t work.

He needs to play off somebody and we don’t have anybody so might as well try something different.

Looking forward to seeing the young lad in midfield 

I completely agree. Monk should be praised for recognising this and moving on. We all know what the definition of insanity is.....

Edited by Pieman

Guest Mcguigan

Has Beattie given up on Rhodes then.

Can’t see being benched doing his confidence any good. A game like this could of got some early form into him and a couple of goals, going into Cardiff game.

Strange choice.