Walsall - Wednesday OMDT

Now it feels like the season is starting....although to be fair this one does have an air of a pre season game. 

Despite the recent signings, not sure how ready they will be after 2 days of pre season, Windass probably closer, but a big difference between a proper pre season and training on your own. 

Giving them both 45 minutes, presumably alongside Rhodes may be ambitious, but better than playing Reach, who has been a waste of a shirt recently. 

I dont think Dunkley is fit yet and expect Dawson to be the cup GK. Apart from that, think we need to go strong to set a marker and winning mentality. It's a game we should win, but expect it to be close given our fragile attacking options. 

1-2 Wednesday 

20200905_094238.thumb.jpg.f9ec735330941055ac235fc5dfb1a2e3.jpg

• Like 4

We will go with the strongest available XI today. Need to build momentum. 

Wildsmith 

Iorfa      Lees    Borner 

Odubajo     Brown    Luongo     Bannan      Harris

Kachunga   Windass 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Brilliant as always. Personally think we might see Windass and Kachunga up top and Rhodes on the bench. It’s a game we should have more than enough to win, gain a bit of confidence to set us up for the league starting. Come on Wednesday!!!!

Is it just me who initially read that as..... Rhodes on the beach 🏖️...

9 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Be surprised if Dunkley plays any part for a while yet, sounds like he’s still recovering with the serious injury

5 minutes ago, striker said:

I dont think Dunkley is fit yet

I might have missed this as I've stopped reading the news.

I've been bombarded with E-mails from Hargreaves since my return warning me that Main Stream media cannot be trusted, and that all news is planted there by the Russians or some robots , or something, to make sure that Trump wins a second term and turns the world into an even more right wing capitalist driven hell hole propelled by peoples lack of self worth and the use of police states as a way to divide and conquer and oppress us all.

Never had Doom Howson down as a stooge for the Red State, but there we go. 

Take his missives about Rhodes' thumb injuries with a pinch of salt guys.

Or something.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Morning all! Have you enjoyed your holidays? You haven't been away have you. You've all been on here, panicking about the coming season. There's no point telling porkies.

image.png.c5096fce196d15e7559bbfb0a85f81f2.png

It won't do you any good you know. You need a break from it all. All the madness of following the Wednesday. There's enough to be getting depressed with when the balls come out and the boots go on without panicking through the summer, what we've had of one.  

I myself have been away. Somerset in 1951 was the destination. And a lovely time I've had too. Much less traffic on the roads. Idyllic and some lovely weather.  How have you all been getting on with the old Covid while I've been away? I hope you've all been careful and none of you have succumbed. 

Lady S is back at the Manor. She has broken her ankle after deciding to attempt to walk in a heeled shoe for the anniversary rather than the customary wellington boots. A close call I should say as she was also planning on wearing a dress, for reasons best known to herself.  She's spent a fortnight bed bound with leg up on a hanger. 

Every time I see her propped there the leg aloft I was reminded though once more of the brilliance of engineering that is our cantilever stand. She's up and about now though. Thudding about the place like Long John Silver. Luckily the disrepair of the floor boards and her considerable weight combine to give decent warning and I have so far managed to avoid many interactions with her.

She did however make it down to the breakfast table yesterday. But luckily Stubbs was on hand, and managed to persuade her that new Government outlines mean wearing a mask is compulsory in your own home when you are in the same room as another, so I managed to avoid having to look into the cavernous slash that makes her mouth while I enjoyed my brekkers.

It also served as decent way of keeping the old bint quiet as the mask that Stubbs acquired, apparently from some helpful people down Grenoside Woods, has the added bonus of stopping her from talking, mainly due to the fact it appears to have a toilet ballcock attached to it, for reasons I'm sure I can't fathom. 

image.png.1c0dc7431c3a7148afee7414e4065850.png

Well the main event at Hillsborough  seems to be that we were all worried that we'd be going into the season with just one striker. But now we've got one and a half. So that's a bonus. 

Kachunga. A fine name. Evocative isn't it? Sounds like something from the retreat from Kabul. "The army limped on being picked off by the Gaizi until they reached the Kachunga pass"

Course, we want the name to be more evocative of goalscoring records. And I see that the lads' goal scoring record has come into question a bit on here. 

But you know what....for all we know he might come here and find the form of his life.

We might be a good fit for the lad.

Rhodes had one of the best records in the land when he arrived on the Gold Elephant guarded doorstep, and he's barely hit the net since. 

It's all about the fit. The right people at the right time. So I'll not be writing this lad off. This move might be a real resurrection job, for him and for us. Everyones a winner. 

Dele-Bashiru and Izzy Brown have arrived to bolster the midfield options and give us some drive and energy and attacking intent and at the back Chey Dunkley comes in, and I'll tell you what. I hope he plays as well as he talks because that lad talks like a club skipper. Twice I've seen in interviews and twice I've been watching to reach into the screen and hand him the armband!

image.png.6fac4afc96594229c498cf7f4bb847c3.png

So. Walsall then in the Coco-bow Cup or whaever it is. 

Walsall - V - Wednesday

image.png.454df31b57251154d5e49d0fb20c14b4.png

Are we bothered? Not really I wouldn't have thought. But it's about a positive start isn't it. A win today will get most of our spirits lifted. Of course there'll be the Doom mongers. Waiting itchy fingered to point the finger. Or point out the blindly obvious. But that's par for the course. We have to drag them with us. 

Team?

Who knows. Probably the 3-5-2 but there's options for Monk to mix things up. So who knows.

Really it's anyones guess.

Dawson

Iorfa     Dunkely    Borner

Odubajo      Luongo     Deli-Bashiru     Bannan           Harris

Rhodes   Kachunga

Someone I wish was with us is Kieran Lee.  The finest player to wear the shirt in the last 20 years in my opinion. Game intelligence. Such a rare gift. A player who understood when to go and when to stay. The slide rule pass. The importance of when to play one touch and quicken the team tempo and when to slow it. 

It would appear he's gone now and ,if true, he goes with nothing but good wishes from me and all at S6 I'm sure. 

All the best ,Corky. Some fine times and great performances. 

image.png.fd98fbef7926134a30ff05b764e4b9df.png

UTO

Hilarious mate particularly the bit about the ballcock mask UTO.

Doesn't feel like 1st day of a new season at all. Could be cos it's the cup, could be cos nowt seems normal nowadays. Whatever it is though, I hope the players are ready. I hope they're fit and raring to go. We need to start quickly and we need to go for wins in every game, Cup or league. Banish all negative thoughts and memories of last season.

Come on Wednesday. 

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
19 minutes ago, striker said:

Now it feels like the season is starting....although to be fair this one does have an air of a pre season game. 

Despite the recent signings, not sure how ready they will be after 2 days of pre season, Windass probably closer, but a big difference between a proper pre season and training on your own. 

Giving them both 45 minutes, presumably alongside Rhodes may be ambitious, but better than playing Reach, who has been a waste of a shirt recently. 

I dont think Dunkley is fit yet and expect Dawson to be the cup GK. Apart from that, think we need to go strong to set a marker and winning mentality. It's a game we should win, but expect it to be close given our fragile attacking options. 

1-2 Wednesday 

20200905_094238.thumb.jpg.f9ec735330941055ac235fc5dfb1a2e3.jpg

I think you’ve nailed it Striker with that team 👍

Good to have you back Milord. I takenit you didn't want to take advantage of Lady S having her legs in the air?

Today's game reminds me of the one against Aldershot in 89. We were down on IKR @rses and couldn't score for love nor money yet managed what was a bit of a freak 8 nil win.

Not saying that will happen today, and that season didn't work out well in the end anyway, so I don't really know what point I'm trying to make....

Up the Owls anyway and let today be the first pleasant surprise of many this season.

• Like 1

Good morning Mi'Lord. Seems you have solved the mystery of how I mislaid my mask in Greno Woods on Tuesday evening. I vaguely remember laying it at the foot of a tree whilst attending to the needs of Big Brenda, but it had vanished when I returned to use it a little later. The was a tall, slim chap there wearing a full face balaclava, rather shifty. He left early. I assume that was stubbs and my mask went with him. 

• Haha 2