Squad Numbers

These numbers don’t really tell us much, though perhaps understandable that we keep the number 9 free, plus the left back slot. It’s marginally interesting that Hidalgo and Grant don’t get a number, especially as Hidalgo was touted by Monk as having a role to play. Maybe he’s going to join Forestieri at Watford?

Might explain why we are looking at wingers for the development squad

1 hour ago, PARKOWL said:

You will literally find anything to moan about wont you, squad numbers are just that squad numbers the traditional 1 - 11 is long gone 

Yeah well like a lot of people, for squad numbers I am a traditionalist I like my best 11 to be 1-11. Growing up you remember Hirst No 9 shirt or Waddle in number 8.

Last I looked the fans still sing about England's number 1 not England's No 36.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KivoOwl said:

Christ almighty that's depressing reading.

Paying Premier League prices for a squad like that.

A) Would you prefer the prices at Sheffield Wednesday across the board, for example Season Tickets, matchday tickets, official merchandise, corporate hospitality, were reduced to previous eras? The consequence of this would be the sale of key senior players, regular promotion to the first team of academy youngsters and a reduced level of investment.

Answer: Yes 29.94% No 70.06%

B) Alternatively, would you prefer the club to build on the current level of investment, maintain the pricing structure, and extend our ongoing strategy geared towards promotion to the Premier League.

Answer: Yes: 70.14%  No: 29.86%

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would love to know the fans on here view what do you prefer the traditional 1 - 11 with a keeper in 1 a striker in 9 and 10 your wingers in 8, and 2 and 3 full backs.

OR do you prefer players have obscure numbers on the back can the mods set up a vote for 1-11 or not bothered?

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I would love to know the fans on here view what do you prefer the traditional 1 - 11 with a keeper in 1 a striker in 9 and 10 your wingers in 8, and 2 and 3 full backs.

OR do you prefer players have obscure numbers on the back can the mods set up a vote for 1-11 or not bothered?

I much prefer the old numbers.

1 - Keeper

2 - Right Back

3 - Left Back

4 - Defensive midfielder 

5 - Centre Half

6 - Centre Half

7 - Right Wing

8 - Creative Central Midfielder 

9 - Goal Scorer

10 - Deep Forward / Second Striker

11 - Left Winger

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Watto said:

I can see why Rhodes hasn't got the number 9 , no number 1 is a joke.

Squad numbers should by allocated by the management team but traditional stuff like 1-11 went years ago 

Its not exactly a pat on the back for Rhodes those is it, you are my main striker who I want to score the goals to get us out of this mess we are in.

Oh by the way I am giving you the number 20 shirt, so I can give No9 to the player we bring in on loan when you are not delivering the goods. WTF:

1 minute ago, TrickyTrev said:

I much prefer the old numbers.

1 - Keeper

2 - Right Back

3 - Left Back

4 - Defensive midfielder 

5 - Centre Half

6 - Centre Half

7 - Right Wing

8 - Creative Central Midfielder 

9 - Goal Scorer

10 - Deep Forward / Second Striker

11 - Left Winger

Does it really make any differance to how we play, or how good we are. I am 72 and grew up with 1-11, inside rights etc. Would David Hirst be a crap centre forward if he had the number 33 on his back.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Its not exactly a pat on the back for Rhodes those is it, you are my main striker who I want to score the goals to get us out of this mess we are in.

Oh by the way I am giving you the number 20 shirt, so I can give No9 to the player we bring in on loan when you are not delivering the goods. WTF:

Just checked Jordan Rhodes shirt number history, he very rarely has a shirt number to match his position on the pitch.

The shirt numbers are, 38,17,11,9,17,7,11,6 - which bizarrely, are the same dimensions of one of my exes.......

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Just checked Jordan Rhodes shirt number history, he very rarely has a shirt number to match his position on the pitch.

The shirt numbers are, 38,17,11,9,17,7,11,6 - which bizarrely, are the same dimensions of one of my exes.......

Presumable 38 would be when he first started then the first 11 and 9 would have been Huddersfield or Blackburn when he was banging in the goals for fun.

I just think you say to a footballer you are my no 9 he thinks the manager see him as a first team regular you say you are no 20 or 32 you just get the mindset you are a squad player.

Maybe football has changed but for me its for the worst. 

I cannot remember Beckham at Man Utd wanting to wear the number 20 shirt he wanted the No7 the same way Ronaldo did, when Shearer moved to Newcastle he didn't want the 26 shirt he wanted the No9 there is something for a player to say he is 1-11. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Presumable 38 would be when he first started then the first 11 and 9 would have been Huddersfield or Blackburn when he was banging in the goals for fun.

I just think you say to a footballer you are my no 9 he thinks the manager see him as a first team regular you say you are no 20 or 32 you just get the mindset you are a squad player.

Maybe football has changed but for me its for the worst. 

I cannot remember Beckham at Man Utd wanting to wear the number 20 shirt he wanted the No7 the same way Ronaldo did, when Shearer moved to Newcastle he didn't want the 26 shirt he wanted the No9 there is something for a player to say he is 1-11. 

Completely agree, but apparently it makes you a dinosaur for thinking that way.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, MallorcaOwl said:

Does it really make any differance to how we play, or how good we are. I am 72 and grew up with 1-11, inside rights etc. Would David Hirst be a crap centre forward if he had the number 33 on his back.

No but the question was what is your preference. I was just giving my preference.

2 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

I guess we may be reluctant to use no1 given that we don’t state a keeper preference. But it probably shows we want another wing back two midfielders and a cf.

be surprised but pleased if we bought in 2 more midfield players. I always thought number 5 was for a defender in the old days? 

Edited by WalthamOwl
  • Like 1