Managers

On 03/09/2020 at 21:09, Lawrie Madden said:

Seeing as Carlos has made a comeback in the Wallace thread i thought i'd stick my twopennorth in on Managers i've loved during my time as a Wednesdayite 

Jack Charlton :- Not the prettiest football at times but boy was it 100% up and at em and i loved him for it 

Sgt Wilko :- Sadly JC couldn't get us over the line and Wilko expounded on Big Jacks side and got us up slightly better football and most importantly successful football 

Big Ron :- Probably the best football i've watched as Wednesdayite and of course brought us Roland 

Tricky Trev :- Maligned somewhat i think many say he rode on the back of Big Ron but was a whisker and a few quid from making us champions and played great football IMO

Paul Sturrock :- OK it was 3rd division, it was largely kick and rush but it was an exciting sometimes bumpy ride to and epic day in Cardiff 

Carlos :- I'm a fan ok there i said it, 2016 was at times some of the best football i've seen a Wednesday team play since the days of Tricky Trev and Big Ron ( some of the worst as well ) but the finish of the season and the run to the play-offs was just awesome and i for one will always thank him for that 

Great post Mick ! I would precede your list with....

Harry Catterick who had a great future penned out for the Owls but the plan didn't fit the proverbial Eric Taylor glove. Having said that Mr Taylor was the best administrator we have ever had. All those prestige matches. Bringing Pele to Hillsborough while at his best. The North Stand project. The World Cup. The Wednesday & Clegg Shield games along with Sheffield Boys matches all put on for the benefit of youth football.

Vic Buckingham too is on my list. We missed the boat there miles ahead of his time but we just couldn't see it. 

Big Jack - He started the comeback

Wilko - Not sure why but i never took to him despite the success

Big Ron- Legend

Trev - Under valued by a lot of the fan base, he signed Waddle. End of discussion

Paul Sturrock - got the best out of the players in difficult times

Laws - As previously stated, not bad football but more importantly had the moral courage to stand up to his employers and publicly withdraw his name from the legal cases

Carlos - A showman but was our success about the Senior players or his coaching abilities?

Monk - For me the jury is out, last season was awful but the circumstances were strange. How he and by extension the club are now building and engaging with the fanbase is very promising.  If results come and we continue to build with decent transfers who knows.

17 hours ago, room0035 said:

Well I must remember it different the only thing he did was not stay longer under Francis I saw Waddle, Hirst Sheridan, Walker, Wood then when Pleat came in that team in 18 months became Atherton, Pembridge, Nolan, Nicol,Stefanovic, Booth, Wayne Collins and Scott Oakes. That for me was the demise of the owls bring in Pleat. 

Other than what we have had to watch under Monk and Jos some of the most depressingly boring football under Pleat we need 1 win from 3 games to guarantee European football in 1996/97 and he could manage it. He was a truly awful manager and probably the biggest mistake we made in the Premier league.

While I agree with pretty much all of this, I always thought Stefanovic was a decent player who should have played more.

Pleat probably had the right idea in that, with prices for English players going through the roof, the foreign market was the way to go. Problem was, he couldn't build a team - it was just one random load of players coming in one year and out the next. If he'd built a squad out of them then yes - Petrescu, Stefanovic, Degryse, Trustful, Carbone, Di Canio, Kovacevic were good players that could have adequately replaced the early 90s greats. But it would have needed a better core of English players than Briscoe, Booth, Atherton and Wayne Collins around them.

The Jewell/Shreeves/Yorath era seems to blur into one for me. First there was 3 of them, then 2, and finally 1. We didn't seem to get any better or worse whenever one of them left.

If I had to choose one of the three I'd have gone for Yorath, but just checked their win ratios and he's the worst of the three (Shreeves has the best record).

16 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

I didn’t see Megson get us out of any issue, Jones did by winning 10 of the remaining 12 games or whatever it was. We wouldn’t have done that with Megson 

When Megson arrived the club was a mess, we were I think 16 or 17th in league one and struggling. He rebuilt the team sign some good player and built the foundation for the team that was third when Milan brought in Jones and his last signing was the inspiration that got us up Antonio.

I would suggest you look back at what he did for us.

Just now, room0035 said:

When Megson arrived the club was a mess, we were I think 16 or 17th in league one and struggling. He rebuilt the team sign some good player and built the foundation for the team that was third when Milan brought in Jones and his last signing was the inspiration that got us up Antonio.

I would suggest you look back at what he did for us.

Yep he did all that but we’d still have been stuck in league 1 if we kept him. Jones set the winning mentality and clearly got more out of the players than Megson could 

Setting the foundations is obviously good but the delivery is what matters. Turner signed a bunch of players in August 2004 that Sturrock got promoted. That’s the difference between the Turners and Megsons, and the Sturrocks and Jones’ of football management 

6 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Yep he did all that but we’d still have been stuck in league 1 if we kept him. Jones set the winning mentality and clearly got more out of the players than Megson could 

Setting the foundations is obviously good but the delivery is what matters. Turner signed a bunch of players in August 2004 that Sturrock got promoted. That’s the difference between the Turners and Megsons, and the Sturrocks and Jones’ of football management 

You have a very worrying stance on football I am going to assume you never got to watch a top flight Owls team.

Had Megson stayed we probably would have gone up through the play offs but Jones yes did do that, then got sacked not long after when he couldn't build a team.

6 minutes ago, room0035 said:

You have a very worrying stance on football I am going to assume you never got to watch a top flight Owls team.

Had Megson stayed we probably would have gone up through the play offs but Jones yes did do that, then got sacked not long after when he couldn't build a team.

I saw us in the PL from 97 onwards, 

Ok I didn’t see Megson as a player in the 80s so probably don’t hold the same affiliation 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

The Jewell/Shreeves/Yorath era seems to blur into one for me. First there was 3 of them, then 2, and finally 1. We didn't seem to get any better or worse whenever one of them left.

If I had to choose one of the three I'd have gone for Yorath, but just checked their win ratios and he's the worst of the three (Shreeves has the best record).

When looking back to that period it is hard to recall any discernible difference to the way we played or the results.

Shreeves seemed to become our manager by default rather than really wanting or being the right candidate for the job.

Jewell had a decent reputation at the time but couldn't turn the ship around. I think we had one of our worst ever runs under him, losing 7 or 8 in a row before Steve Harkness grabbed us a scrappy 1-0 win at home to Birmingham. 

Yorath didn't make much difference, I remember a stat after a month or two at the start of the 2002-03 season - we were in the bottom 3 but we had hit the woodwork about half a dozen times more than any other team and had half of them gone in we would be mid-table. You can only blame luck for so long though. Then Turner came in and basically gave up on keeping us up and was planning for the next campaign even though we had half a season to play.