Managers

35 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Seeing as Carlos has made a comeback in the Wallace thread i thought i'd stick my twopennorth in on Managers i've loved during my time as a Wednesdayite 

Jack Charlton :- Not the prettiest football at times but boy was it 100% up and at em and i loved him for it 

Sgt Wilko :- Sadly JC couldn't get us over the line and Wilko expounded on Big Jacks side and got us up slightly better football and most importantly successful football 

Big Ron :- Probably the best football i've watched as Wednesdayite and of course brought us Roland 

Tricky Trev :- Maligned somewhat i think many say he rode on the back of Big Ron but was a whisker and a few quid from making us champions and played great football IMO

Paul Sturrock :- OK it was 3rd division, it was largely kick and rush but it was an exciting sometimes bumpy ride to and epic day in Cardiff 

Carlos :- I'm a fan ok there i said it, 2016 was at times some of the best football i've seen a Wednesday team play since the days of Tricky Trev and Big Ron ( some of the worst as well ) but the finish of the season and the run to the play-offs was just awesome and i for one will always thank him for that 

Have to go along with that.

Edited by Inspector Lestrade

23 minutes ago, WBridgfordowl said:

Agree with most of the OP, although I felt the football was better under Jack than Wilkinson. 

Trevor Francis was a far better manager than he got credit for, he was building a really useful side, we’d just got too big for our boots and didn’t afford him the time to achieve greater things.

Thought JC was shocking at times, but loved the guy he was a true football bloke,  Wilkinson made us look like Barca in comparison. lol

bracket one.....  charlton , wilko, atkinson 

bracket two .....megson ,carlos ,laws ,francis , pleat , buckingham ,brown, sturrock , ashurst, gray  

bracket three ......jewell, turner , yorath , shreeves ,dooley , jos ......they never had a prayer of being successful ......jones ,marshall, wilson 

bracketless... williams , burtenshaw ,eustace , bruce .irvine 

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

bracket two .....megson ,carlos ,laws ,francis , pleat , buckingham ,brown, sturrock , ashurst, gray  

bracket three ......jewell, turner , yorath , shreeves ,dooley , jos ......they never had a prayer of being successful ......jones ,marshall, wilson 

Is Bruce low because of the way he left? Wasnt here long enough to be thought of as good of bad for us. More a what might have been.

Also think Dave Jones is low down on there. His PR was awful but wasnt that bad overall.

59 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

I would adde Brian Laws to that list, not the greatest manager but had a couple of decent seasons and results vs Utd and genuinely seemed delighted to be Wednesday manager and to have some feeling for the club. 

He got us finishing 12th in the Championship, with a central midfield pairing of James O'Connor and Sean McAlister, the man must be a genius.

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

I’d be putting Buckingham above most in bracket two for some silky football  

Catterick  though would be my first name in bracket one. Always fast attacking football and highest finish in the top division.

Just now, Blatter said:

I’d be putting Buckingham above most in bracket two for some silky football  

Catterick  though would be my first name in bracket one. Always fast attacking football and highest finish in the top division.

i didnt see catterick .....buckingham i did and while you cant really argue with his record he didnt seem popular with the fans .

P

Pleat was a terrible manager.

• Like 3

Guest Jack the Hat
2 hours ago, WBridgfordowl said:

Agree with most of the OP, although I felt the football was better under Jack than Wilkinson. 

Trevor Francis was a far better manager than he got credit for, he was building a really useful side, we’d just got too big for our boots and didn’t afford him the time to achieve greater things.

Don’t you mean he destroyed a useful side.

Just now, CrosbyKitchens said:

P

Pleat was a terrible manager.

i didnt think so ....he got us to 7th in league and the football was easy on the eye .....he signed some good players that were a pleasure to watch....he was never going to be liked because of who he was and binning sheridan,hirst and waddle but someone had to .

22 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Is Bruce low because of the way he left? Wasnt here long enough to be thought of as good of bad for us. More a what might have been.

Also think Dave Jones is low down on there. His PR was awful but wasnt that bad overall.

correct with bruce ...jones i never rated though i realise he was hamstrung working under milan as he trod water trying to sell us . 

A fair few of these were before my time but I agree with most of your choices for the ones I have experienced. Bruce would have been a good manager but understandable that some will dismiss him for what he did and really his tenure was too short to put into a specific bracket anyway.

Jones ended badly but he ensured we got promoted that season with the way we finished the campaign - we showed little sign of putting that run together under Megson.

Are you saying Turner never had a chance of being successful? If so, why? Sturrock was successful with the same team. Turner could spot a player but couldn't turn them into an effective team.