Owls searching for a main striker “It’s an area we know we need to strengthen”

I think those criticising the manager are way off. It’s not his work that got us -12 points. He did have a part to play in it happening this season rather than last, but still, we have had some deep rooted issues since losing the second play off.

The -12/covid combo has prevented us from building part of the team we want. Dunkley, Windass, FDB would likely have been targets anyway and we got them. But Izzy Brown and Kachunga are only here a year, so it looks like we want to have options again next summer. There was talk before all this that we’d been looking at Holland and Eliason but they seem a step above what we can get now. With Murphy going there are only really a couple capable of match winning moments so our only hope this season is to try and do a bit of what that lot at S2 did and created a team that worked hard and shared the load amongst them. 

31 minutes ago, markowl said:

The season  doesn't start until next Saturday, the transfer window closes in October, so why is everyone losing their shít about not signing a striker?

The season starts this Saturday, unless you think it doesn't matter how we get on against a League 2 side in the league Cup. When the league season kicks off we start 12 points behind everyone else, having a striker is often fundamental to the shape and play of the team and winning games. The fact we are starting from behind means we really need to hit the ground running, waiting until the last day of the transfer window to get deals done is even less ideal than it normally is in this respect. 

I'd say some fans are understandably concerned rather than 'losing their sh*t'

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, markowl said:

The season  doesn't start until next Saturday, the transfer window closes in October, so why is everyone losing their shít about not signing a striker?

Because we start on -12, so a poor start and we'll struggle to recover!

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

Martin would have been very ideal , massive shame and good signing for Bristol that

It is but would we have wanted to match what could be essentially a 3 year deal? That is why he left Derby. He’s 32 in November so he will be approaching 34 or 35 by the time he’s done there. If we had done that then I think we’d have looked to have gone back to old habits.

9 hours ago, Plonk said:

Said it in another thread. He should have used January’s window better and we wouldnt  be

feckin about like this. At least he’s acknowledging he knows it’s a problem, bu5 this for me is the crucial signing. 

How could he have got anybody in January when he had no money available with all the players that have left in the summer still in contract and the wage bill too high. He's had to wait to get them off the wage bill. 

7 hours ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Players are put off coming and playing in the inferno that is the atmosphere of Hillsborough. The pressure is too much 😂

If that's the case I'd rather not have them. We need men who will stand up and be counted when things are going against them, you know, the ones with character. If they wilt when some know nothing gobshite in the crowd has a go at them they aren't right for us.

5 hours ago, Plonk said:

My point is that the the three he signed, de Cruz simply wasn’t good enough, wickham was injury prone and probably out of our price range anyway. In January we were in a reasonable position to attract a couple of strikers with a bit of a more long term plan. A young premier league striker with an option for a full season. 

Is it inconceivable that the club tried to sign better players, but for well documented reasons, couldn't. 

Irrespective of how the team was performing, surely every club want to get the best that is available, within their budget. The same reason that we can't attract the type of manager that they want applies to players. We weren't an attractive proposition then and not much has altered since.

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs
22 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Good, 12 goals from 60 appearances in the last 3 seasons, past his best. No thanks.

He will get about 25 this season with the quality that Hunt delivers 

WTF:

8 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

He will get about 25 this season with the quality that Hunt delivers 

WTF:

Jack Hunt. When we signed him all I heard was he’s a great crosser of a ball. Did anybody check out his defensive capabilities ? 

Not even first choice at Bristol (so I’m led to believe from a Brizzle fan at work).

We need a minimum of 3 strikers, 2 of whom need to find form early and be 15 goal a season strikers or we get relegated. 

It really is that simple on -12 points. 

• Like 1
Just now, Eaton_Swfc said:

We need a minimum of 3 strikers, 2 of whom need to find form early and be 15 goal a season strikers or we get relegated. 

It really is that simple on -12 points. 

I’m sure Leeds didn’t have two strikers on 15 goals last season and they won the league. It’s almost as if your opinion is just that, an opinion.

You’re obviously entitled to one, but it really isn’t that simple at all. It’s 46 games of varying factors where we have to score 12 or more points more than three other teams. Goals scored helps, but 30 goals from two players neither guarantees success nor failure. 

• Like 2
Just now, Philb125 said:

I’m sure Leeds didn’t have two strikers on 15 goals last season and they won the league. It’s almost as if your opinion is just that, an opinion.

You’re obviously entitled to one, but it really isn’t that simple at all. It’s 46 games of varying factors where we have to score 12 or more points more than three other teams. Goals scored helps, but 30 goals from two players neither guarantees success nor failure. 

Right but Leeds had a slightly better squad than the one we've got at the moment let's get real mate. 

Just now, Eaton_Swfc said:

Right but Leeds had a slightly better squad than the one we've got at the moment let's get real mate. 

Ok, so let’s try something else.... out of the 24 teams last season, some were better than us, others worse. How many of them had two strikers scoring 15 goals each. 

If that’s your magic formula for us succeeding, I’d like an idea of how likely it is. I mean if Leeds with a slightly better squad couldn’t do it, I wonder who else did. 

• Like 2

To put everyone out of their misery, these are the players last season that scored 15+ last season. 

Interesting names that made the list, from clubs that didn’t achieve much at all.

60BADB91-5D5A-4AE6-A982-3729245A9F18.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1