Owls searching for a main striker “It’s an area we know we need to strengthen”

4 hours ago, Bulgaria said:

Rumour has it we are looking at Swan Vesta. Good in the box and can strike anywhere.!

4 hours ago, Philb125 said:

No thanks, burnt out after singular strike a season! 

4 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

I've heard he has a spark to him. 

Head's gone, not fit for purpose. No idea why he keeps getting put back in. Always seems to get picked first an' all.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It is a revelation to some who would have other fans believe that Kachunga and Windass were enough and we weren't also trying to sign an actual striker.

It's disappointing that we haven't been able to secure someone as this was clearly a priority from long before the end of last season. Of course there is competition and of course the market price gets driven up but we more than any club in the league need to hit the ground running due to the 12 points start we have given everyone else. If we don't get off to a good start, a move to us becomes even less attractive to potential signings as the deadline gets closer.  

Such pessimism! Life is good. We have mostly survived Covid-19, Wave 1. The playing staff has been refreshed. A back room staff has been secured. We have an exciting relegation scrape to look forward to. We are one mediocre striker away from lower mid-table nirvana. I for one am looking forward to the upcoming season as much as any one since our last promotion back to the 2nd tier. 

3 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I don't understand why people are struggling to grasp the concept that Windass & Kachunga are strikers. They even say themselves that is their preferred position. Why is that unacceptable, simply because you don't want them to be?

I guess it’s because they have rarely operated as strikers these last three years Remember, Forestieri used to consider himself a striker as well, but rarely played there

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I guess it’s because they have rarely operated as strikers these last three years Remember, Forestieri used to consider himself a striker as well, but rarely played there

So by this logic, Reach isn’t a left winger and Harris is a left wingback. Gotcha. 

I wonder how many of these folk, said Iorfa wasn’t a centerback despite him stating it was his best/preferred position. 

12 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I don't understand why people are struggling to grasp the concept that Windass & Kachunga are strikers. They even say themselves that is their preferred position. Why is that unacceptable, simply because you don't want them to be?

Perhaps because they have not been played in that position for large chunks of their careers?

8 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Totally agree,  looking at Windass goals at Rangers and also with us, it easily looks like he could be a striker to me.  And even if not, it’s possible to be converted to be one.  He last worked with Beattie when he was 21? And said he enjoyed it, perhaps they can work together and Windass can become a decent striker.  Before a ball is kicked there is always hope to grasp from somewhere 

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

FF played his best season here as a second-striker in a 4-4-2. Play people in their preferred positions and we might get more out of them. Windass & Kachunga see themselves as strikers. Monk said he signed them to play up top. People don't want to accept it. Tbh honest I see them both competing for the same slot in the team once we sign a proper CF. We need a new no.9 to come and take Rhodes' place. 

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

So by this logic, Reach isn’t a left winger and Harris is a left wingback. Gotcha. 

I wonder how many of these folk, said Iorfa wasn’t a centerback despite him stating it was his best/preferred position. 

Not sure what Reach is now he has been ineffective in a few positions for a season and a half. Harris is a player we are playing out of position to suit a system that didn't work for the majority of the 9 games we gave it a go for last season. Square pegs in round holes.

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

But both of them have operated as wingers for most of their careers, including here That doesn’t make sense. Clearly Iorfa was a centre back yes, anyone who saw him stumbling around at full back should have come to that conclusion in no time at all

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

The interview at the start of this thread clearly stated that Monk is looking for a proper striker as a priority. He may consider Kachunga and Windass to be forwards but that fact he acknowledges the striker position is one we are short of and are desperately trying to fill tells its own story, despite you wanting them to be strikers! 

17 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Because neither have great goalscoring records, than when you use that as a measure, you get told it is because they are playing in a different position. Either way it's either a poor goals return, or getting moved out wide because they are ineffective up front.

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

But both of them have operated as wingers for most of their careers, including here That doesn’t make sense. Clearly Iorfa was a centre back yes, anyone who saw him stumbling around at full back should have come to that conclusion in no time at all

so Kachunga doesn’t gave 100+ games playing as a centre forward? 

12 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Because neither have great goalscoring records, than when you use that as a measure, you get told it is because they are playing in a different position. Either way it's either a poor goals return, or getting moved out wide because they are ineffective up front.

Or because they were playing in a team that had a more prolific striker signed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Plonk said:

My point is that the the three he signed, de Cruz simply wasn’t good enough, wickham was injury prone and probably out of our price range anyway. In January we were in a reasonable position to attract a couple of strikers with a bit of a more long term plan. A young premier league striker with an option for a full season. 

It does sound like a solid idea bud. 

The problem is what you want in an ideal world isn't always attainable at that time.

Most of the highly rated youngsters would have been sent out on season long loans at the start of the season . There where players about whom like Nuhiu were out of contract at the end of the season, but may not have been what we were wanting. Probably why we ended up with Wickham, Windass and took a punt on de la Cruz which would have been a fantastic bit of business if he'd had faired better. I do understand everyones worry and frustration as I've no confidence in what we have up top scoring the goals we need to overturn the deficit. 

Though I do think we'll get a nice surprise signing on deadline day, alla Murphy last season,so I'm not giving up hope yet. It does seem the way Dc likes to do things. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

I see one of either windass or kachunga occupying a place upfront as part of a 3-5-2 with another striker or acting as the wide pair of a 4-3-3 at the side of a more physical striker. 
Windass could also possibly take the place of brown but I don’t see windass and kachunga together as a pair upfront. 

Windass is the one who could be seen as more of an attacking midfielder, but I think he’s more than capable of been an out and out striker and with Izzy Brown here I think Windass will be considered a striker as the gaffer says 

Kachunga I think is a striker, who’s filled in out wide , watching his highlights and seeing how many headed goals he’s had I wanna see him in the middle and not out wide