Owls searching for a main striker “It’s an area we know we need to strengthen”

48 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Ok mate - I'll bite

Let's hear you explain how that would work exactly when we knew we were about to be hit by an EFL action, didn't know what league we would be in the following season, didn't know if we could spend money (And if we could how much we could be allowed to spend), how many of our current strikers would stay at the club etc?

Would love to hear your expert analysis on exactly how all this would work

Plus since January we've had the coronavirus & every club particularly outside the Premier has had to adjust their recruitment plans & spending due to the lack of income since March.

3 minutes ago, mogbad said:

Plus since January we've had the coronavirus & every club particularly outside the Premier has had to adjust their recruitment plans & spending due to the lack of income since March.

We can’t though use that as an excuse, while the lack of income has left all clubs struggling to balance their books, we are in a better position than most, having already culled over a dozen high earners. We have space now to recruit from some of those struggling clubs who are looking to cut costs Puts us in the driving seat Less excuses from Monk, he just needs to get on with it

• Haha 1

Guest Willow Owl
57 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Didn’t he also say it might not be addressed until the next transfer window? We simply can’t go that long with the current crop of strikers. Also I’m guessing from what he said the ones he identified early on (before the point deduction) will now be out of our league? 

He said we have identified players early and were trying to get deals done. If not this window then the next, before the transition will be complete.  I also read it as before the pandemic, not the points deduction. That’s just my take

Guest Willow Owl
8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We can’t though use that as an excuse, while the lack of income has left all clubs struggling to balance their books, we are in a better position than most, having already culled over a dozen high earners. We have space now to recruit from some of those struggling clubs who are looking to cut costs Puts us in the driving seat Less excuses from Monk, he just needs to get on with it

If only it was that simple. 

46 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Hesitate to say this because its crying over spilt milk but I we had signed G Hirst two years ago he would now be in a prime spot to start first team games. 

And he's just the kind of striker we are looking for. 

44 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

This is actually true

In what sense? We actually need an unproven boy that’s never done anything of note whilst playing against grown ups to be the focal point of our attack in a season that we are against all odds trying to escape relegation. Not sure I share your confidence that he’s the type of player we need in this scrap. 

• Like 2

Guest Bulgaria

Rumour has it we are looking at Swan Vesta. Good in the box and can strike anywhere.!

I am optimistic about the upcoming season, happy with our signings so far.

1 minute ago, Bulgaria said:

Rumour has it we are looking at Swan Vesta. Good in the box and can strike anywhere.!

I am optimistic about the upcoming season, happy with our signings so far.

No thanks, burnt out after singular strike a season! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

Gary Monk not signed a competent striker shocker.

The excuses have started, they will be:

The team needs time to get used to playing together.

We are waiting on a club to do a deal before we can get on it.

Once the EPL teams have finalised their squad we can bring one in.

We have to get players out before more come in.

The player has not had a preseason so they need to get fit.

Injuries happen when the player has not been playing regularly.

Did I miss any :duntmatter:

Players are put off coming and playing in the inferno that is the atmosphere of Hillsborough. The pressure is too much 😂

13 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

In any disaster like this it is business/ clubs that are well run or cash rich that are in a good position , that is not us.

We can’t compete with clubs with parachute monies nor clubs who have a cash injection from player sales.

No surprise we lost out to Birmingham for Leko when they had just got a cash injection for selling Bellingham.

In normal circumstances getting rid of high earners and having a chance to rebuild would have been a great opportunity but actually in my eyes it has all become a perfect storm for us.

Playing games without players because they wouldn’t extend for the month, having to try to do a lot of business in a short close season while for a long time not knowing which league would be in, struggling for revenue and not being attractive because of the points deduction all make it difficult.

Some clubs have some of the problems but none have all of them.

22 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

In what sense? We actually need an unproven boy that’s never done anything of note whilst playing against grown ups to be the focal point of our attack in a season that we are against all odds trying to escape relegation. Not sure I share your confidence that he’s the type of player we need in this scrap. 

I saw him in those bits in the prem against ManU and Spurs. He looked impressive to me. 

15 minutes ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Players are put off coming and playing in the inferno that is the atmosphere of Hillsborough. The pressure is too much 😂

Or, convsrsely, no player will sign For Monk/SWFC because they know in all likely hood that he is going to be sacked before Christmas, somebody actually posted this, amongst other things, bizarre or what. 

3 minutes ago, Beholder said:

I saw him in those bits in the prem against ManU and Spurs. He looked impressive to me. 

You’re a braver man than I. I’d not gamble our league status on ‘those bits in the prem’. 

I guess time will tell with Hirst, but I’m hoping we are not gambling on an unknown entity this year. 

• Like 1

So so far clear out and brought in squad fillers..... Just don't see how that's part of any successful plan. Definitely need some quality up front now. We brought in two strikers but we still need a proper one..... that shows the other two up doesn't it. 

For me just looks like are recruitment policy is still as crazy as ever but working with small change rather that wagon loads of cash. Either way still bizarre. Bringing in players clubs down the bottom don't want!

Championship is about how many quality striker on form you have non = down and out. 1 = could go down to lower mid table. 2= mid table may sneak play offs just. 2+ and your in play offs or automatic. We currently  have one quality but not playing like that striker. So in effect 0 quality strikers. And we are -12 points and we have brought 5 players in now................. shouldn't we be worried is this all me totally miss reading the situation. A manager who was poo last year and now this! 

• Haha 2