Stage of the squad

Nearly up to two players per position for Monk’s favoured 3-4-1-2 formation. 

Wildsmith / Dawson

Iorfa / Urogidhe | Lees / Dunkley | Borner / JvA

Palmer / Odubajo                        Harris / Penney 

Luongo / Pelupessy  | Bannan / FDB 

Brown / Reach

Kachunga / Rhodes | Windass 

Biggest area of concern still up front. Need to add both depth and quality. 

I’d also be worried about the second choice midfield which is a massive drop in quality from the first choice. Also additional quality at wing back would be helpful. 

Which begs the question, why we still being linked with centre halves?

• Thanks 1

Agree on the midfield, I’d like to see 1 more in there - I feel like Luongo needs competition, as he’s near enough an automatic starter at this point. 

Obviously another forward too, someone that can make the ball stick.  

Based on today, I’m happier. Hopefully we keep picking up a few more lads. 

Guest wilyfox

Still need an orthodox centre-forward who can lead the line. Key signing of the summer. Was always gonna be, and that's why I'm hoping DC has biased our spending towards it. 

7 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

Chris Martin seems a good fit, but at 31 might seem too old. 

(76 goals and 38 assists in 224 appearances for Derby). 

Goal every 3 games is better than what I thought it would be. Fletcher obviously was in good form the last season and was roughly 1-2 but before that was pretty much 1-4.
As long as his wages aren’t ridiculous it’s someone we should consider for the striker role although I’m still hopeful we have someone else in mind.

If we can get two to three more in, then it will have been a pretty productive window.

Little bit concerned about a lack of goals overall, whether we have the quality out wide (vital to playing 3-5-2) and then there is of course the goalkeeper issue.

8 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Still need an orthodox centre-forward who can lead the line. Key signing of the summer. Was always gonna be, and that's why I'm hoping DC has biased our spending towards it. 

We probably need two, if that type is going to be crucial to the way we play, as there will be injuries and suspensions to deal with

5 minutes ago, bigrbuk said:

Centre half because JvA is trash and Urogidhe wasn't great in his second game. 

I'd still give Lee another year as a second string/bit part player

Reckon our changed stance on Van Aken was down to Chelsea saying the lad we wanted, Clarke-Salter, probably wouldn’t be going out on loan. Pretty much the day after, Monk started making encouraging noises about Van Aken That might change come October though

Edited by gurujuan
  • Thanks 1

Over a month ago I heard we wanted at least8 players in and it was likely 4 of them would be loan players. No names were mentioned but emphasis on youth. Thought this was about right. 

The problem with the likes of Martin is not just age but wages they are on. To take a substantial reduction in wages is something notmany are prepared to do. Fletcher I read was now on £18,000 a year at Stoke and had 2 year contract, he was on over £25,000 at Wednesday obviously realised he had to accept less. Covid has reduced finances and players will have to accept lower wages. Lee and Nuhiu were on good wages but we could no longer to afford to pay them at previous rate hence reason they left.

Players we have recruited have not come from clubs regarded as paying big wages (except Dele-Bashiru but he was notmember of 1st team squad). Many will be hanging on to see what they can get, number of deals is still very low overall and you can expect flood of deals in next couple of weeks. Thinkapproach we have adopted in transfer market has been sensible and sustainable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 83owl said:

Goal every 3 games is better than what I thought it would be. Fletcher obviously was in good form the last season and was roughly 1-2 but before that was pretty much 1-4.
As long as his wages aren’t ridiculous it’s someone we should consider for the striker role although I’m still hopeful we have someone else in mind.

I posted about Martin a couple of days ago. I find it odd that Monk, who has always like working with a big target man (and has had great success in this with the likes of Wood, Juckewitz and Fletcher) hasn't been in for him. But seems keener on small, hard pressing, quicker strikers this time around. 

3 hours ago, 83owl said:

(Chris Martin) As long as his wages aren’t ridiculous it’s someone we should consider for the striker role although I’m still hopeful we have someone else in mind.

I might also be just suggesting him because we’re (as a club) so used to seeing a forward that holds it up (as opposed to 2 little fast guys). It feels ingrained in me. 

7 minutes ago, malek said:

Brown aside it seems to me that we just replaced bunch of average players with another bunch of average players. 

Maybe, but they are new guys, new life in the place... and at least we know if it doesn’t work it’s not because of stale characters hanging around the place. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

Nearly up to two players per position for Monk’s favoured 3-4-1-2 formation. 

Wildsmith / Dawson

Iorfa / Urogidhe | Lees / Dunkley | Borner / JvA

Palmer / Odubajo                        Harris / Penney 

Luongo / Pelupessy  | Bannan / FDB 

Brown / Reach

Kachunga / Rhodes | Windass 

Biggest area of concern still up front. Need to add both depth and quality. 

I’d also be worried about the second choice midfield which is a massive drop in quality from the first choice. Also additional quality at wing back would be helpful. 

Which begs the question, why we still being linked with centre halves?

Think this has become even more relevant, following Monk’s comments this morning. Unless it’s the usual waffle, it’s a worry that we may have to wait until the next window to address the striker situation. 
In short, we will be relegated if we do not address it in this window. As much as Windass and Kachunga may be shrewd signings, they, along with Rhodes, cannot form an effective attack.