Gerry Young

2 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

A personal loss, A loss to Walkley, A loss to Wednesday. RIP Gerry Young Sincere condolences to Family and friends.

Held the Accolade on unlikely 'Hat Trick Hero' as make shift centre Forward.25/03/61 v Manchester United. I remember little of that Hat trick but I do remember a plastic sheriff badge adorned by a photo of Gerry in a pack of cereal the preceding week. 

The last time we spoke was at Hallam Golf Club when attending the Johnny Fatham funeral/wake. Fond Farewell Gerry. 

Well said Nev.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Oh no!
I used to rent my flat (above Quinny's sports shop on Middlewood Road) off Johnny Quinn

In Quinny's sports shop Gerry Young used to work in there so I'd go down and talk to them both for ages

Both were great guys - really nice and were happy to chat about all things football whenever I nipped downstairs to chat to them

Gerry Young was ROCK HARD though even in his later years he was formidable ( I would add FOOOOOKING SCARY)   and you just would not mess with him

lol

Got to know them both really well so this is really sad news

RIP Gerry 

Often used to pop in with my Dad and Brother   My Dad had known Gerry for a long time through us living on Vere Rd
We bought our trophies there too for Sheffield City Swimming Club.

Gerry was a great bloke, and would talk to us young uns about all sports.

An extremely sad loss 

Dad has Dementia now but i'm going to nip over to Skeg to tell him personally, because i know it'll upset him.

RIP  Mr Young ( We always called him that )

• Love 1

Will only judge Gerry on what I knew of him and saw of him. Watch ed his full career. At start of his career, he played anywhere in the front row, and never failed to give his best. Finally came into his own when Kay deserted to Everton. He took his place at Left half where he was even chosen for England.
He always gave 100% and , despite being a true Geordie by birth, had time only for Wednesday.
He was a gentleman in every sense of the word.R.I.P. Gerry. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

5 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

I think his efforts as coach, assistant and for seven games in 1974 - caretaker - should not be overlooked. A man who stood up to be counted when the club needed him I feel.

..........and IIRC sacked on his Birthday! Typical bloody Wednesday.

RIP Gerry, it was an honour to see you play for us. Fly High!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BIG D said:

Sad news. 
He used to live just below the Bole Hills I think. Used to see him on Crookes from time to time. 
RIP Gerry

I can't remember Gerry playing but my Dad told me he was fantastic and That one mistake he was often remembered for, was so unusual.

He did live just below the Bole Hills, I went to Bole Hill School with his son Matthew.

RIP Gerry, condolences to the family. 

Edited by OWL1969
  • Like 1