Gerry Young

I saw his hat tricks against Roma and Manchester Utd. He always gave 100% and was a stalwart ( in the language of the day) of the defence. 
Time to put your feet up Gerry! Always in the minds of those who saw you in the stripes and never forgotten.

RIP Gerry Young.

• Like 2

One of my first games at Hillsborough late 1950’s was the first time I heard the name Gerry Young.

I asked my Dad ‘Who’s Gerry Young’. He replied ‘He’s one of the new lads, don’t think he’s very good’

He played centre forward that afternoon and there were groans from the crowd when he fluffed a chance. My Dad reckoned he’d never be as good as Shiner. 

A couple of years later he was tried at half back as we called it then (defensive midfield now ) and was a revelation. He became a crowd favourite, and and one of the best in that position in the first (top) division hardly missing a game through the mid sixties.

R I P Gerry Young. A Wednesday Great.

• Like 1

A very sad day. I had the pleasure of briefly meeting him & saw his final game for the club at White Hart Lane in 1971. He seemed a really nice, humble guy.  Interesting to speculate on what might have happened if he'd not been injured after his one cap for England. Bobby Stiles was a pretty limited player!

Do others, not just old timers like me, ever stop to wonder if, in the post war world, Wednesday have been cursed?

Dooley's injury, one team better than us in 1961, the stupidity of Layne, Kay & Swan, Gerry Young's mistake in the Cup Final(one of the very few he ever made!), missing chance after chance when Manchester City did everything they could to let us win in 1970, Hillsborough culpability(the 1981 Semi was a warning that went unheeded), Wilkinson walking out to manage Leeds when we were 8th in Division 1 & they were in the bottom three in Division 2, the list just goes on & now relegation looks a certainty this season before a ball is even kicked! Keeping the faith never gets any easier - but oh for the days when Gerry Young, a one club man effectively, was a lynchpin for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Used to have a newspaper in Hillsborough during the 1980s called The Hillsborough Shopper. I spent a lot of time in Quinnies sports shop chatting to John and Gerry who used to do the trophy side of the business. One year I printed a fixture list and sold ads around it. Got a letter then from Graham Mackerel at Wednesday saying that I'd breached copyright and he wanted me to pay the club the revenue from the ads on that page which was about £150. I told John and Gerry about it and they went to see Graham Mackrel who then changed his mind and let it drop. Both John and Gerry were blokes of the top order and were absolute gentlemen. Rest in peace old mate, we'll all miss you.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I used to hate the fact that for quite some time his name was linked to the mistake he made in the final. As Colin Dobson has said, it’s one of the very few he ever made as a defender. He was just a revelation when he was switched to that position.

Id also seen him score his Roma hat trick but he was always a bit hit and miss up front. He was more of a Keith Ellis than a Bronco   Layne.

He was a throwback to the days when football was simpler and far more enjoyable. No prima donnas, no feigning injury, no bellyaching to referees. 

We’ll miss you Gerry. You epitomised everything I miss about those days and why I despise the modern game.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

A personal loss, A loss to Walkley, A loss to Wednesday. RIP Gerry Young Sincere condolences to Family and friends.

Held the Accolade on unlikely 'Hat Trick Hero' as make shift centre Forward.25/03/61 v Manchester United. I remember little of that Hat trick but I do remember a plastic sheriff badge adorned by a photo of Gerry in a pack of cereal the preceding week. 

The last time we spoke was at Hallam Golf Club when attending the Johnny Fatham funeral/wake. Fond Farewell Gerry. 

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl
  • Like 1
  • Love 1