Ross Wallace interview

10 hours ago, Lythamowl said:

indeed....was part of this dressing room scottish mafia set up up wallace/bannan/fletcher. Clearly that has not been a power for good these last few seasons and this interview just adds to my theory.

Yeah, the bad old days where the players used to get on with each other on the pitch and off and could take the mickey out of each other and the manager at times without fear of being banished. We used to win more often than lose as well.

Scottish mafia, FFS! :image: 

14 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Yeah, the bad old days where the players used to get on with each other on the pitch and off and could take the mickey out of each other and the manager at times without fear of being banished. We used to win more often than lose as well.

Scottish mafia, FFS! :image: 

ah....the good old days that got us absolutly nowhere, yep...miss them.

19 hours ago, wilyfox said:

I don't think he had to take the píss out of Carlos & Chansiri on camera. Wallace was a good player for us the playoff years, held in high regard by Carlos, and no doubt handsomely paid by Chansiri. Seems uncalled for.

I'm sure most people reading this thread have done the exact same thing with THEIR bosses at some point

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm sure most people reading this thread have done the exact same thing with THEIR bosses at some point

I think the difference is you can say these things in private. Not on a podcast with the entire world watching. I just find it a bit disrespectful to the club who paid him very handsomely and a manager who picked him week in week out.

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I think the difference is you can say these things in private. Not on a podcast with the entire world watching. I just find it a bit disrespectful to the club who paid him very handsomely and a manager who picked him week in week out.

He is entitled to say exactly what he wants when he wants to say it

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

He is entitled to say exactly what he wants when he wants to say it

He is but doesn’t make it a good thing to do. Makes him look like a bit of a ******** to Wednesday fans really. Particularly after the incident he recalls was a few weeks after we got embarrassed by the Pigs on our home turf. 

It’s a funny story the Carlos one, but the way he tells it is disrespectful. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

He is but doesn’t make it a good thing to do. Makes him look like a bit of a ******** to Wednesday fans really.

I don't think so personally

I think (as usual)  it's Wednesday fans being oversensitive or looking to squeeze drama out of something where there really isn't any

In reality people slate their bosses/company off from time to time

It's really not a big deal.

Carlos won't care one bit - he's off at his latest childhood club,  sitting on his bank account that we put millions into. Why would he be bothered?

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think (as usual)  it's Wednesday fans being oversensitive or looking to squeeze drama out of something where there really isn't any

Carlos won't care one bit - he's off at his latest childhood club,  sitting on his bank account that we put millions into. Why would he be bothered?

Fair enough. Yes I think there is some oversensitivity involved for sure, but it’s understandable. Given the performance of the club on and off the field and the clear issues with culture and fitness behind the scenes - this interview doesn’t sit right with me. Wallace comes across as someone who’s not that arsed and the way he tells the stories about CC and DC isn’t necessary. It further adds to my belief that we had a lot of players picking up very good wages but didn’t have the right attitude to back it up. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think it shows what a holiday camp Carlos was running, his philosophy which nearly came off, also relates to the training/fitness thread and demonstrates his legacy of a bunch of overpaid, underworked, arrogant and disrespectful dickheads which we have suffered from since he left.

He did nearly do it twice though just to balance things out but he left a very poisoned chalice.

• Like 4

Fair enough. Yes I think there is some oversensitivity involved for sure, but it’s understandable. Given the performance of the club on and off the field and the clear issues with culture and fitness behind the scenes - this interview doesn’t sit right with me. Wallace comes across as someone who’s not that arsed and the way he tells the stories about CC and DC isn’t necessary. It further adds to my belief that we had a lot of players picking up very good wages but didn’t have the right attitude to back it up. 

We also don't know what went on behind the scenes for our players to look on our club like this and not take us seriously anymore

They were there
They were there when Carlos sacked our (extremely popular  and effective physios) and replace them with his mates (who weren't allowed onto the pitch if a player got injured)
They will have seen Chansiri coming into the dressing room to deliver bizarre team talks just before crucial games
They will have witnessed Carlos telling professional footballers to just turn up to training as and when they like

Stuff like that to professionals will make them surely just start to give up and take the mickey  instead?

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

I think it shows what a holiday camp Carlos was running, his philosophy which nearly came off, also relates to the training/fitness thread and demonstrates his legacy of a bunch of overpaid, underworked, arrogant and disrespectful dickheads which we have suffered from since he left.

He did nearly do it twice though just to balance things out but he left a very poisoned chalice.

100% my point

If ANY workplace is run the way Carlos ran our club it would turn into a joke and most definitely fail

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

We also don't know what went on behind the scenes for our players to look on our club like this and not take us seriously anymore

They were there
They were there when Carlos sacked our (extremely popular  and effective physios) and replace them with his mates (who weren't allowed onto the pitch if a player got injured)
They will have seen Chansiri coming into the dressing room to deliver bizarre team talks just before crucial games
They will have witnessed Carlos telling professional footballers to just turn up to training as and when they like

Stuff like that to professionals will make them surely just start to give up and take the mickey  instead?

That’s a fair point.

BUT I will argue that these players were being paid an awful lot. Considering this is still raw to many Wednesday fans, I don’t think Wallace should be airing it on a podcast in such a mickey taking way. 

That’s a fair point.

BUT I will argue that these players were being paid an awful lot. 

The amount they were being paid is (and always is) completely irrelevant though - in my humble opinion

For instance at what amount of wages does it become relevant?

£5000 a week?
£10000 a week?

And if for instance you said £10000 a week then I would immediately ask you 'What about if they were being paid £9999 a week though?'

lol

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

100% my point

If ANY workplace is run the way Carlos ran our club it would turn into a joke and most definitely fail

But at the same time it very nearly worked. We came very close twice in two very competitive leagues.

The mistake is at the door of the owner. Carlos should have been sacked after the Huddersfield defeat. We should have sold some of the players to help us with FFP, and started the rebuild there and then.

Instead we stuck with the same manager and squad that had failed to achieve promotion twice. Demotivated, deflated and struggling with confidence and expecting them to do it all over again. It was never going to happen. 

Sadly the rebuild is starting now on -12 points. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

This, plus, no one can accuse Wallace of not giving a sh*t, he always put everything into every game,

Wallace was arguably our player of the season in the second play-off season and his injury early on V Huddersfield second leg cost us dear, as did Fletcher’s after he scored.

However, the legacy Carlos left has definitely made it very difficult for those who followed.

Yes, they all bought into Bruce before anyone says anything but he also left a poor legacy when he fuckedoff in the way he did.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

But at the same time it very nearly worked. We came very close twice in two very competitive leagues. 

If you went into any workplace as the new boss and said "Right everyone, let's all just chill out and make this the best, most fun place to work ever! From now  on take breaks when you want to,  go out for a cigarette any time you like, and turn up for work any time you feel like it, and let's be a  really  successful team'   what  would  happen is that for the first bit of time you would typically see an uplift in performance as everyone thinks you are the best boss ever..

Then... as time goes by John and  Jack start rocking up at 11am with massive hangovers, Jill and Simon are always in the yard smoking, and performance starts to dip

The professional ones who ignore the new offers to do as they please start to get really sick at the lack of discipline, and everyone gets sick of  Stuart taking every Monday off after having big weekends out with his mates

Then just as a big job comes in that needs doing, the shirkers start calling in sick 

And still everyone's rocking up late, finishing early. nipping out for fags every five minutes

The respect for management then starts to dip as they don't respect them anymore as the place is now a free for all

The Foreign Chairman of the company then comes down and tries to instill a bit of hunger into the workforce with a bizarre Delia Smith style motivational speech

And the manager sacks all the extremely popular HR department and replaces them with his mates

And before you know it -  it's game over

Completely irretrievable by the manager and chairman unless a complete overhaul happens

THAT is what happens

To ANY workplace from a football team, to staff in a factory, to WHSmiths

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop