Adedoyin - Another new signing for the future

46 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Surely theses type of players shud be playing first team football for someone by now

Absolutely. It seems that unless they are 25 or older then they are “ one for the future “

It’s the fvckin’ present that I’m concerned about !

18, 19, 20... if they have got the talent and a half decent physic then give ‘em a run. I remember Rooney and Owen tearing defences to pieces when they were 17.

I hope the kid is great but should we not be promoting from the under 18's team that won the league for the last few years.

We seem very quick to buy other teams cast off in, when we really should be developing our own, I equally agree with some of the above posts when players get to 19-20 they should be playing as high a football as possible. We are not in the Premier league under 23's league so lower league football leagues One, Two and conference is really where we should be sending these players to develop them, but it has been shown over the last 4 or 5 years very few players have developed into the first team from the development squad.

I cannot think of anyone except maybe Dawson though he is not championship quality yet and maybe Penney this season that's it, Hunt, Shaw and the others have not had the chances or game time to show if they can do it and we saw how many were release last season and the year before that were promising youngster never giving a chance or sent out on loan to prove their worth.  

7 minutes ago, YesWeCrann said:

I haven't, no.

I think it's worrying that they're not through the door for sure. But just because we haven't heard anything doesn't mean there's nothing in the pipeline. They'll want things kept quiet because of how delicate the market is now. So yeah, I'm with everybody concerned at the lack of strikers, but will only get stressed once games are underway and we've not brought in.

Its a weird year for recruitment  - different squad rules - lots of free agents - premiership starting later - big loan market from Prem to Championship - but also crucially a later date on the end of the transfer window.

If you look at it from an agent point of view, the later a player gets signed the better the leverage for a better deal. Same from clubs wanting loan fees. Teams lose the first couple of games and panic buy. 

We have a disadvantage on perm signings re the points deduction - but an advantage in that Prem loanee strikers are virtually guaranteed a starting place and plenty of game time to develop.

IMO the reality is although we want early deals, the full squad will not be in place till October 5th. We better get used to that and the implications on the striker area

• Like 3

Guest Smackavolley
2 minutes ago, Woodie said:

Adedoyin has a lot higher pedigree than Hagan. Who is currently set to partner Rhodes Saturday unless he chucks Reach there again. 

Hagan was at Chelsea until he was 16.

There's no way they'll start Hagan on Saturday. At this stage of his development and taking into account reasons why he's with the first team squad, there's a possibility he could be used as an impact sub.

If they do, let's wish him all the best. 

14 minutes ago, Nero said:

Its a weird year for recruitment  - different squad rules - lots of free agents - premiership starting later - big loan market from Prem to Championship - but also crucially a later date on the end of the transfer window.

If you look at it from an agent point of view, the later a player gets signed the better the leverage for a better deal. Same from clubs wanting loan fees. Teams lose the first couple of games and panic buy. 

We have a disadvantage on perm signings re the points deduction - but an advantage in that Prem loanee strikers are virtually guaranteed a starting place and plenty of game time to develop.

IMO the reality is although we want early deals, the full squad will not be in place till October 5th. We better get used to that and the implications on the striker area

The points deduction is a problem but we were always going to be slow off the mark. It's how we operate. Last ditch deals. Look how we seem to be pi$$ing about with the Windass deal? Others have gone in at Wigan and got players out with the minimum of fuss. Not us? I'm pleasantly surprised we've got the 3 in as early as we have but it looks like it might be a little while longer before Dunkley is available?

6 minutes ago, Jim said:

The points deduction is a problem but we were always going to be slow off the mark. It's how we operate. Last ditch deals. Look how we seem to be pi$$ing about with the Windass deal? Others have gone in at Wigan and got players out with the minimum of fuss. Not us? I'm pleasantly surprised we've got the 3 in as early as we have but it looks like it might be a little while longer before Dunkley is available?

What's holding up the Windass deal is between Rangers, Wigan and the accountants we are just waiting in the wings.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

Absolutely. It seems that unless they are 25 or older then they are “ one for the future “

It’s the fvckin’ present that I’m concerned about !

18, 19, 20... if they have got the talent and a half decent physic then give ‘em a run. I remember Rooney and Owen tearing defences to pieces when they were 17.

To be fair they were exceptional talents.

Players all develop at different rates. Because a players isn't good enough at 18 or 19 doesn't mean he won't improve. It's about spotting the raw ability and developing it or waiting for a lad to bulk up so he can take the rough and tumble of the pro game. Many players don't reach their peak until 26/27.

We need a balanced approach, promote the ones who mature and can hold their own, promote the outstanding ones who are good enough at 17/18. Have patience with the others who have ability but aren't ready yet.

What I would like to see is more of our youngsters out on loan. Under 23's doesn't prepare them very well for the pro game. Get them out to non league if need be but let them play with men. If they handle it move them up a level and keep doing it. If they shine in L1 they are likely ready to feature for us if introduced to the team carefully. When they go on loan it needs to be to teams that will play them. We need to build relationships with a couple of clubs at each level who we know can do the job the way we want it. If need be we should go so far as to pay for a trainer for those clubs to make sure they get the right care and attention.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Hope we can get this done, but let’s not start confusing this a first team signing Good performances for the U23s may well see him fast tracked into first team plans, but at the moment, he is not one for the first team

That's what you think? The deal gets done, he'll be in the first team by Christmas.

6 minutes ago, Jim said:

That's what you think? The deal gets done, he'll be in the first team by Christmas.

If he’s in the first team on merit, I’ll be happy If he’s there by default, because we never got round to signing anyone else, than that’s a different matter

3 minutes ago, Rev Owl said:

I think 23yr olds should be training with the first team and if not good enough to be in first team squad shouldn't be with us.

23 is awfully late to be developing if you're not developing into a first team squad player.

He’s 19.

2 minutes ago, Rev Owl said:

I think 23yr olds should be training with the first team and if not good enough to be in first team squad shouldn't be with us.

23 is awfully late to be developing if you're not developing into a first team squad player.

Some players do develop late, Waddle for one

• Like 1

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
49 minutes ago, Nut said:

This lad's got a good scoring record. Well worth a punt. 

There’s a lad called Rhodes with an outstanding scoring record. We should....

Oh b*gger...