Greatest sports person

Burnsie

So, this time, let's open up the debate for the rest of the world.

Firstly, I know Ali always comes top (or close) in these things, but I don't really get it. Yes, he was good at punching... But not undefeatable. Plus heavyweight boxing is a finite competition. You only face one other person, two of three times a year... Unlike say a tennis grandslam where you play every other day (but don't get punched in the face).

Lance would have come high in my list, but...ya know, reasons!

Anyway, my list from my time watching sports;

Phelps. The guy is a machine. Most Olympics medals.... however, even as an ex swimmer myself, there are too many for swimming!

Bolt. The guy carried athletics. For years (and honourible mentioned for Michael Johnson too... And now, when he speaks everyone listenes. Bat On!) 

Fed. Novak will probably will probably win more grandslams. But when this young guy from Switzerland showed up and dicked Sampras at Wimbledon, it was a new era for tennis (although I think he was already world no 4 by then)

Ronaldo/Messi. The best two players of my generation. Arguably any generation. In the biggest sport in the world.

Jordan. I don't watch American sports. But I've seen him play. Says something. I'm sure some with more knowledge will say Kobe or James are better..  

Tiger. A black man. Playing golf. And winning. Love it. Loses a point for the fact that yanks shout "get in the hole" all the time at golf events.

A cricketer?? Although it's not a global sport, given the population of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, I bet more people play then do many of the sports above. 

16 hours ago, Burnsie said:

So, this time, let's open up the debate for the rest of the world.

Firstly, I know Ali always comes top (or close) in these things, but I don't really get it. Yes, he was good at punching... But not undefeatable. Plus heavyweight boxing is a finite competition. You only face one other person, two of three times a year... Unlike say a tennis grandslam where you play every other day (but don't get punched in the face).

Lance would have come high in my list, but...ya know, reasons!

Anyway, my list from my time watching sports;

Phelps. The guy is a machine. Most Olympics medals.... however, even as an ex swimmer myself, there are too many for swimming!

Bolt. The guy carried athletics. For years (and honourible mentioned for Michael Johnson too... And now, when he speaks everyone listenes. Bat On!) 

Fed. Novak will probably will probably win more grandslams. But when this young guy from Switzerland showed up and dicked Sampras at Wimbledon, it was a new era for tennis (although I think he was already world no 4 by then)

Ronaldo/Messi. The best two players of my generation. Arguably any generation. In the biggest sport in the world.

Jordan. I don't watch American sports. But I've seen him play. Says something. I'm sure some with more knowledge will say Kobe or James are better..  

Tiger. A black man. Playing golf. And winning. Love it. Loses a point for the fact that yanks shout "get in the hole" all the time at golf events.

A cricketer?? Although it's not a global sport, given the population of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, I bet more people play then do many of the sports above. 

Ronaldo's biggest achievement is being compared by some to Messi

• Like 1

That cricket one is tough, Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath, Ricky Ponting, Curtly Ambrose, Courtney Walsh, Brian Lara, Sachin Tendulkar, Muttiah Muralitharan are all greats to be considered. There are others you could add but none of the others were so dominant in their field from memory. I'm probably being harsh to not include Wasim Akram who was a great bowler for the Pakistan team

Tennis - as well as the likes of Federer, Nadal, Sampras, I'd put a case forward for Serena Williams and Steffi Graf. Steffi Graf I believe is the last person to complete a grand slam in a calendar year (even though Serena won 4 in a row twice) and from the late 80's to the mid 90's, she completely dominated the ladies tour. I suppose one question around Graf's dominance would always be, what she have been that dominant had Seles not been stabbed.

Football - I know many go on about Ronaldo and Messi being the greatest of all time but never ever rule out Zinedine Zidane. He made football look so easy when he played. I just wish he played in the Premier League. Also, one of the best individual performances I've ever seen was when Ronaldo (The Brazilian Forward) destroyed Man United at Old Trafford and got a standing ovation when he was subbed. 

Quite a few Americans to add to this list, Tiger Woods was probably the best thing to happen to golf (would have loved to seen Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson and Arnold Palmer in their prime), Michael Jordan, Derek Jeter (from my limited knowledge of Baseball), Tom Brady, Michael Johnson, Carl Lewis, Michael Phelps and given his monies, Floyd Mayweather Junior.

Rugby - Jonah Lomu. Sorry but I've never ever seen a better rugby player in my life than Jonah Lomu. He took rugby by storm when he appeared in the mid 90's, and that performance against England in the semi finals of 1995 is by the far, the best performance I have ever seen by a single rugby player in a game. There have been plenty of great players such as Johnson, Carter, Campase, Wyn Jones etc but none are in the same league as Lomu. 

I'm sure there are many others - probably too tough this one. Going back in time to ones I was never round to witness, there's the likes of Pele, Jesse Owens etc

11 hours ago, katie melua said:

That cricket one is tough, Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath, Ricky Ponting, Curtly Ambrose, Courtney Walsh, Brian Lara, Sachin Tendulkar, Muttiah Muralitharan are all greats to be considered. There are others you could add but none of the others were so dominant in their field from memory. I'm probably being harsh to not include Wasim Akram who was a great bowler for the Pakistan team

Tennis - as well as the likes of Federer, Nadal, Sampras, I'd put a case forward for Serena Williams and Steffi Graf. Steffi Graf I believe is the last person to complete a grand slam in a calendar year (even though Serena won 4 in a row twice) and from the late 80's to the mid 90's, she completely dominated the ladies tour. I suppose one question around Graf's dominance would always be, what she have been that dominant had Seles not been stabbed.

Football - I know many go on about Ronaldo and Messi being the greatest of all time but never ever rule out Zinedine Zidane. He made football look so easy when he played. I just wish he played in the Premier League. Also, one of the best individual performances I've ever seen was when Ronaldo (The Brazilian Forward) destroyed Man United at Old Trafford and got a standing ovation when he was subbed. 

Quite a few Americans to add to this list, Tiger Woods was probably the best thing to happen to golf (would have loved to seen Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson and Arnold Palmer in their prime), Michael Jordan, Derek Jeter (from my limited knowledge of Baseball), Tom Brady, Michael Johnson, Carl Lewis, Michael Phelps and given his monies, Floyd Mayweather Junior.

Rugby - Jonah Lomu. Sorry but I've never ever seen a better rugby player in my life than Jonah Lomu. He took rugby by storm when he appeared in the mid 90's, and that performance against England in the semi finals of 1995 is by the far, the best performance I have ever seen by a single rugby player in a game. There have been plenty of great players such as Johnson, Carter, Campase, Wyn Jones etc but none are in the same league as Lomu. 

I'm sure there are many others - probably too tough this one. Going back in time to ones I was never round to witness, there's the likes of Pele, Jesse Owens etc

That you can go through a list of cricket GOATs without mentioning Bradman meant I didn't even read the rest of your post. 

Also I've got to block you now. 

• Like 2

Football - Messi I never thought I would see anyone better than Best but he is ( Sorry George)

Boxing - Ali

Cricket - Sobers

Rugby -  No idea, a game for blokes who can't get in the  school football team lol

Golf - Through his career  Jack Nicklaus, at his peak I have never seen anything like Tiger in 2000

Darts - Taylor

Snooker -  Hendry 

Athletics - Daley Thompson

Tennis - Federer

On 03/09/2020 at 22:24, katie melua said:

Lomu is nowhere near the best rugby player ever, in 95 was nullified in the final. Often was a defensive liability too.

Ed Moses.

End of thread.

Over 10 years he won 107 consecutive finals. Let that sink in. No ******** beat him for over 10 years.

Broke the 400m hurdles world record 4 times.

While racing he overhauled IOC and IAAF drug testing by designing an out of race testing program.

• Like 1

The owls are not what they seem.

9 hours ago, Neal M said:

Ed Moses.

End of thread.

Over 10 years he won 107 consecutive finals. Let that sink in. No ******** beat him for over 10 years.

Broke the 400m hurdles world record 4 times.

While racing he overhauled IOC and IAAF drug testing by designing an out of race testing program.

The sport has to be taken into account, 400m hurdles is one of the lesser athletic events

3 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

They're all hard! It's about being competitive though, you can't compare 400m hurdles to football in terms of popularity and therefore competitiveness. How many rungs to the ladder to get to the top?

The same as any other athletics event.

He wasn’t just racing himself. 

You’ve got the same number of rungs as any other athletics event. Same number of eligible competing countries at the Olympics and IAAF world championships.

The owls are not what they seem.