14 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Murphy will be out of our reach this window.  Same scenario with Hector.  

We move on and look for other players.  

Sadly, probably true. Hope we can still get Murphy or someone similar but we're paying the price of not buying players with re-sale value and selling them whilst their stock is reasonable. Hopefully we can sign some more players like FDB with high potential but recent seasons, have shown to bring in quality, we have to loan them in.

The same thing may happen to Izzy Brown, if he has a quality season. It's the nature of the level we're at, a lot of the top players at this level are young discarded players or bargains that come good or quality loanees. That then return to their parent clubs and/or get sold on for big bucks. We're also not the only team at this level, to have had key players on loan and been unable to bring them back. 

I'd much prefer us to be smart; applying long term thinking, nurturing young talent, loaning in quality, snapping up bargains and bringing in players with some re-sale value, than bringing in players with no re-sale value and their better days long behind them. Murphy's effectiveness will be hard to replace but if we can't bring him back, then hopefully we can loan in someone similar. 

Edited by The Night-Owl
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Sadly, probably true. Hope we can still get Murphy or someone similar but we're paying the price of not buying players with re-sale value and selling them whilst their stock is reasonable. Hopefully we can sign some more players like FDB with high potential but recent seasons, have shown to bring in quality, we have to loan them in.

The same thing may happen to Izzy Brown, if he has a quality season. It's the nature of the level we're at, a lot of the top players at this level are young discarded players or bargains that come good or quality loanees.

I'd much prefer us to be smart; applying long term thinking, nurturing young talent, loaning in quality, snapping up bargains and bringing in players with some re-sale value, than bringing in players with no re-sale value and their better days long behind them. Murphy's effectiveness will be hard to replace but if we can't bring him back, then hopefully we can loan in someone similar. 

You make some interesting points.  Yes we should be investing in youth with re sale values.  I think it's important that we look at youth players in the lower leagues, league 1 and 2 as opposed to picking them up from clubs in the Premier.  It's a tough one, sure, there are plenty of talent in the top league, but they also stockpile a lot of players.  Many of which will be thrown on the scrap heap only for them to have to move to clubs lower down only to then make their way back up again.  

Or we can look at younger players in the lower leagues similar like we saw with Keiran Lee when he was Oldham.  Picked up by a lower league team that was discarded by Manchester United.  The benefit of going for a player like this is the competitive games he played and subsequently picking up the player of the season award.  And we got him on a free.  Turns out he has been one of our best players in recent history.  That's what we should be looking to do, raid the lower leagues for good young players with potential who are regular key player with plenty of match experience and with their contracts either expired,expiring or will expire in the next 12 months. 

Final point to make, loan deals.  Never completely been a fan of them in all honesty.  It's another reason why we find ourselves in this situation with 1 striker at the club.  It's a short term solution.  Sure it has it's uses and positives, but it doesn't help us in the long term.  If it did. I would be more favourable to the odd loan here and there.  I'll give you an example. Michael Hector.  We really should have put in a pre arranged price as part of the loan deal with Chelsea.  Nothing worse than seeing us have this great player, only for them to leave.  I was thinking about this exact point last night, I thought to myself, imagine if we had a centre back pairing of Iorfa and Hector, how great defensively that pairing would be.  Same scenario now with Murphy.  Once they start to show glimpses of what they are capable of, they automatically become beyond our reach.