Depends if we wish to be ambitious or not .

Clearly by the responses so far it’s a no from many .

However those that live in the real world recognise that success in the championship comes at a price ( not Howard Wilkinson 80s wages) .

id prefer not to live under a stone and live in reality 

• Like 1

Nothing like £1M or £40k. I liked him and thought he was excellent towards the end of the season. The trouble is the £1M a £2M in wages is dead money, if we spend that on a couple of younger payers on permanent we stand a chance of getting it back and more if they come good.

I'd take Murphy on £20K wages and maybe 500k fee. More than that it gets dubious whether we can afford it.

4 minutes ago, prowl said:

Nothing like £1M or £40k. I liked him and thought he was excellent towards the end of the season. The trouble is the £1M a £2M in wages is dead money, if we spend that on a couple of younger payers on permanent we stand a chance of getting it back and more if they come good.

I'd take Murphy on £20K wages and maybe 500k fee. More than that it gets dubious whether we can afford it.

But who are these younger players you elude to? You can’t just assume there are younger players out there that will have impact . We know what we’re getting with Murphy.. no development required. He just fits in

• Like 2

Always suspected wages would be a problem, those figures are simply unaffordable.

Good player and while I'd love to see him return, Newcastle have the upper hand given the reported interest.

Given his contract situation if wages negotiable, we'd be better pursuing a permanent deal for £3-4m and spreading the fee over the duration of his contract.

Edited by striker

48 minutes ago, Mister Soul said:

But who are these younger players you elude to? You can’t just assume there are younger players out there that will have impact . We know what we’re getting with Murphy.. no development required. He just fits in

It's not my job to identify the young players. Of course their are young players out there looking for a club, some of them will be great prospects. I've no idea if we will be able to spot the right ones at the price we can afford. If we can't we don't really deserve to succeeed.

As I said I thought Murphy was great, I'd love to have him back, I just think the price is too high. There are only a few Championship clubs who can afford that. Unless Rangers go for him. Do they pay wages like that in Scotland? I know they are a big club but I can't imagine they get a fantastic amount of TV money and their big gates won't help them if they aren't allowed in the stadium.

Edited by prowl
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, helmut_rooster said:

image.png.93132278d439f3eae160807196d467ac.png

What a revolting slug!

Back to Wednesday; anyone think we may be under an embargo or some sort of cap again? Appreciate that the club appear to be trying to live within P&S but it took a while for it to be disclosed we were effectively on a stop. Know there is a good possibility that income will be limited next season so P&S may be extremely difficult to abide by, whatever our outgoings. Just wonder if we are working under constraints beyond what has already been disclosed. May explain not being able to afford anything much in terms of transfer fees nor have much to offer for wages.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

What a revolting slug!

Back to Wednesday; anyone think we may be under an embargo or some sort of cap again? Appreciate that the club appear to be trying to live within P&S but it took a while for it to be disclosed we were effectively on a stop. Know there is a good possibility that income will be limited next season so P&S may be extremely difficult to abide by, whatever our outgoings. Just wonder if we are working under constraints beyond what has already been disclosed. May explain not being able to afford anything much in terms of transfer fees nor have much to offer for wages.

We’re still paying out the best part of £100k a week between KW, Lees and Rhodes. We have cut the wage bill but it’s still high compared to our income. 

I thought he was fantastic towards the end of the season and I'd love to have him back. Like others are saying though, 1m and 40k p/w is crazy money and we'd probably be better off investing that in new players or youth prospects for the future over someone who's gone after one season.

• Like 2