Believe

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

I honestly think he is a massive confidence player, couple of goals in consecutive games imo would do him the world of good, also hopefully having someone like Beattie coaching and supporting him off the pitch will be a big help. 

After that hattrick he played in the next flurry of games and was awful. 

It's not just about goals anymore its about contribution to the team. He doesn't offer any hold up play, link up play, physicality, pace in behind, he doesn't win free kicks, doesn't panic defenders. That's why someone like Fletcher, who has scored far less career goals, has had a the career at the top flight and places like Marseille. 

Rhodes needs our support and he will get it because we have no one else and to crush his confidence would be catastrophic. However when you consider what presence we'll have upfront next season the ball will be coming straight back at us as there's nothing upfront to play too. We will be under pressure in a lot of games for this reason. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I honestly think he is a massive confidence player, couple of goals in consecutive games imo would do him the world of good, also hopefully having someone like Beattie coaching and supporting him off the pitch will be a big help. 

Thing is, it's ok saying JR has been scoring in training, that means nowt against someone kicking lumps out of you and being a fool. All the defenders need to do with Rhodes is roast him a bit and he's bang poor.

Let's hope beattie can toughen him up a lot.

I reckon it’s Rhodes and Harris as the starting front two tomorrow. Reading the various comments above it sounds like Beattie is working on the finishing of the pair of them.
That can only mean Reach playing left wing back if the expected 3-5-2 formation is still preferred. Hope somebody is working on his tackling.

1 minute ago, Blatter said:

I reckon it’s Rhodes and Harris as the starting front two tomorrow. Reading the various comments above it sounds like Beattie is working on the finishing of the pair of them.
That can only mean Reach playing left wing back if the expected 3-5-2 formation is still preferred. Hope somebody is working on his tackling.

Those two upfront will have zero presence on the pitch. Harris's main trick is taking on a man. He will have no chance doing that down the centre of the pitch. He has no natural striker instincts, he is a chance creator not taker. I know its only a friendly but if those two play upfront together in a real game i think it'll put so much pressure on the midfield and defence, we'll struggle to have possession in opposition halves or any link up play. They won't offer the defenders any headaches at all. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

About time Rhodes bucked his ideas up.

The times I saw him last season his body language was awful.

Not paid small fortunes to stick his thumb up and have his photo taken with kids.

This. It is down to his attitude and commitment, which has led to a decline in fitness and sharpness. He has had it so easy for so long now.....please, please prove us wrong.

2 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Those two upfront will have zero presence on the pitch. Harris's main trick is taking on a man. He will have no chance doing that down the centre of the pitch. He has no natural striker instincts, he is a chance creator not taker. I know its only a friendly but if those two play upfront together in a real game i think it'll put so much pressure on the midfield and defence, we'll struggle to have possession in opposition halves or any link up play. They won't offer the defenders any headaches at all. 

I agree with you entirely but you can’t play 3-5-2 with one striker.
Monk could surprise everyone though and go with a 4-2-3-1 line up.
Plenty of options to do do that with the players at his disposal and it would give Rhodes more support from midfield.

I agree that Beattie will benefit Rhodes.

If we are moving forward with Rhodes as one of the say two strikers, I think we need to change the system from previous seasons that just didn't unit his 'game'. He's a poacher; a box player who can find a yard of space at the right time to score. We need quality wide men and supporting midfielders to get the first and quick ball into him and I can't see why he couldn't get a decent return.

Guest Grandad
44 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

After that hattrick he played in the next flurry of games and was awful. 

The next flurry of games?

He started the next 2, and was subbed both times, and in the next couple was reduced to playing 20 minute cameos from the bench

It's no good saying he's a confidence player then demonstrating no confidence in him

6 minutes ago, Grandad said:

He started the next 2, and was subbed both times, and in the next couple was reduced to playing 20 minute cameos from the bench

It's no good saying he's a confidence player then demonstrating no confidence in him

Well apparently he's a 'confidence' player  more than any other player that's ever worn the shirt but no matter how many chances he's had here under multiple managers playing with different colleagues, in different systems. Some which might suit him, some might not. There's not many strikers that have had as little impact on a game apart from the odd goal here and there. I sympathise with him in a way but it feels like having him up top these days is a genuine relief to defenders. It isn't 2013 anymore. 

Edited by TheEnchanter

23 minutes ago, Grandad said:

I think the reason he got limited game time after his hat trick is that he didn't look interested again.

Looked like a bloke with the weight of the world on his shoulders.

41 minutes ago, Animis said:

I agree that Beattie will benefit Rhodes.

If we are moving forward with Rhodes as one of the say two strikers, I think we need to change the system from previous seasons that just didn't unit his 'game'. He's a poacher; a box player who can find a yard of space at the right time to score. We need quality wide men and supporting midfielders to get the first and quick ball into him and I can't see why he couldn't get a decent return.

The quality balls were crossed into the box time after time last season, he was found wanting. 

• Like 1