All Or Nothing - Spurs

22 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Not a nice guy, he was at my school. Though he was coming across as being alright until that meeting with Jose and showed he still has that same attitude.

Jose is completely different to what I expected, he seems sound

Also I thought Ericson must have been a bit prickly and I thought there must have been something going on (wasn't there rumours about affairs etc?) but his interaction with Levy and Jose was quite interesting, very professional

Ooooh tell us more 

Kyle Naughton went to our school, he was a bit of a nob too

3 hours ago, Django said:

Ooooh tell us more 

Kyle Naughton went to our school, he was a bit of a nob too

Hmm, told a teacher reprimanding him to his face "I'll earn more in a week than you will in a year". General bad attitude.

I don't believe in the theory presented in the book bounce by Matthew Syed due to Danny Rose as I remember him starting reception and nobody could get the ball off of him, even kids a few years older

9 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Hmm, told a teacher reprimanding him to his face "I'll earn more in a week than you will in a year". General bad attitude.

I don't believe in the theory presented in the book bounce by Matthew Syed due to Danny Rose as I remember him starting reception and nobody could get the ball off of him, even kids a few years older

Naughton did similar at our school. Walked out of one lesson as he had “bigger fish to fry” 

• Haha 3

Pretty sure a few seasons ago Rose declared that he wasn't happy with Spurs signing nobodies and he wanted to move to a club with more ambition.

At the time, he was probably up there as a Lb, but I think his relationship with the club (plus form) soured from that point onwards.

Interesting to note that Steve Bruce seemingly had no interest in retaining his services at Newcastle. He had worked with him at Sunderland too.

Agree on Jose though, comes across very different to how I imagined he would. 

6 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Pretty sure a few seasons ago Rose declared that he wasn't happy with Spurs signing nobodies and he wanted to move to a club with more ambition.

At the time, he was probably up there as a Lb, but I think his relationship with the club (plus form) soured from that point onwards.

Interesting to note that Steve Bruce seemingly had no interest in retaining his services at Newcastle. He had worked with him at Sunderland too.

Agree on Jose though, comes across very different to how I imagined he would. 

I was speaking to his aunt around that time and she was saying "he just wants to play football" lol he was in 1st team anyway

13 hours ago, Owls2k said:

I thought Rose was a disgrace from the off, but yes it was so bad at the end. It wasn’t even what he said (up to the point where he mentions Levy), it was his whole demeanour and behaviour that was poor. 

The way he wanders into the room José is in with one earphone still in and asks for a word I found to be completely disrespectful. Notice how quickly José agrees and gets him in the room, respectfully. 

I also found it interesting that José didn’t sit behind the desk during the exchange, like he did previously with other player meetings. 

And then he gets up and leaves saying he’s going to talk to what is essentially José’s boss as he didn’t like what he was hearing. Absolutely terrible behaviour and I if was the manager I’d want him gone on that exchange alone. 

Compare that to how José addresses his ‘boss’ and it’s chalk and cheese. 

Although it has to be said him asking about Milan’s supposed interest to Levy was hilarious. 

I am really enjoying it so far. I’m actually surprised at how sound and approachable Levy seems to be. I like how he surrounds himself with the players by eating in the canteen etc. 

José is a top guy. The moment where he apologises for being mardy because his dog died was absolutely priceless. 

Agree and I wonder how often this is the case at any club. We never saw it on the Sunderland documentary, they never mingled with the staff.

I think this is the best of the All or Nothing series tbh. Its not as sensationalised as many of the others and Mouriniho is so watchable.

He comes across as very considered and super tactically astute. His reading of the Man City game was what you would want your manager to do. Get their bloke sent off before they do it to us.

Some of his interactions with players are great. He really is a leader.

3 hours ago, Nero said:

I think this is the best of the All or Nothing series tbh. Its not as sensationalised as many of the others and Mouriniho is so watchable.

He comes across as very considered and super tactically astute. His reading of the Man City game was what you would want your manager to do. Get their bloke sent off before they do it to us.

Some of his interactions with players are great. He really is a leader.

I agree completely. There's a bit of sensationalism but it's actually quite limited compared with the others. 

Jose is a born leader, he oozes it. 

I still can't get back to the Rose thing. He waltzed in with a an earphone still in (disresectful in any workplace IMO when speaking with colleagues or management), and Jose was courteous and respectful. And he even chose to sit away from his desk so there wasn't that seperation, the same seperation that he had in the Kane and Alli chats.

When they lost to Chelsea, he went straight into what looks like his and his staff's lounge (which looks like some weird 1990s TV green room!). Watched the Chelsea players celebrating, he was clearly devastated. 

But a few moments later he was back in the dressing room picking up the boys spinning the positives and geeing them up. Managers in most walks of life need to have that burning unrelenting belief and energy but football managers much be a different breed.

Edited by Owls2k
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I remember when Hammill saw him in Tikki bar looking miserable and he was too scared to ask for a selfie. He was probably looking for someone to blame for being out in Doncaster. 

• Haha 2

I think it sheds a different light on Levy too.

We all know about his rep as a tough negotiator/being a bit tight, but I think he has come across pretty well in most of the episodes.

I don't know, he probably does lack the ambition to push Spurs to where they want to be...but then finishing top 6 is what Spurs are for the most part.

In that big 6, they very much remain the odd one out imo. You look at Arsenal and for a number of years the perception has been they aren't good enough and yet they've picked up 4 FA Cups in the same time Spurs (having their best period in years) have still won nothing.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Owls2k said:

I agree completely. There's a bit of sensationalism but it's actually quite limited compared with the others. 

Jose is a born leader, he oozes it. 

I still can't get back to the Rose thing. He waltzed in with a an earphone still in (disresectful in any workplace IMO when speaking with colleagues or management), and Jose was courteous and respectful. And he even chose to sit away from his desk so there wasn't that seperation, the same seperation that he had in the Kane and Alli chats.

When they lost to Chelsea, he went straight into what looks like his and his staff's lounge (which looks like some weird 1990s TV green room!). Watched the Chelsea players celebrating, he was clearly devastated. 

But a few moments later he was back in the dressing room picking up the boys spinning the positives and geeing them up. Managers in most walks of life need to have that burning unrelenting belief and energy but football managers much be a different breed.

He plugs in to their psyche really well.

I think it also shows how much luck can play a part. No Kane injury and they finish 5th at worst.

Rose apart i think the players come over quite well, even Dele Ali. 

I wonder what Monk gets from it? Obviously he cant act like Jose as he hasnt done it at that level, but theres loads to pick up.

Just watched the Danny Rose episode. He seems like one of those individuals who thinks it’s all about them and doesn’t see things from other people’s perspective

I’d want him out if I was working with him. That kind of person can’t be good for squad morale 

On 01/09/2020 at 20:09, dobbo said:

I never judge managers in interviews and press conferences, can you imagine having to answer the same inane questions 20 times a day? And having to give reactions to mostly, purely made up rubbish that lazy journos spew out daily. Or being asked to comment on sensitive or legal issues they clearly can't comment on but still ask again and again. 

I'm amazed everyone isn't like Jose or Big Nige, I know I certainly would be.

There was one interview where a bloke was asking questions (he seemed like he was from a Spurs specific publication rather than a paper/new organisation) and you could see Jose just switch off and humour the guy.  I can't remember the question but it was something as inane as "why don't you just sign some better players".

Jose comes across as a bit of a busted flush to me.  It's obvious he's been there and done it but it seems like he's softened somewhat and wants to be everyone's friend now.  His messages at times are trite and cliched.  He's also REALLY negative when talking to the team.  "Middlesborough, I tell you, they CAN beat us, THEY CAN.".  F*ck that Jose!  I also don't like how he has all HIS memorabilia in his office (the picture on the wall from Madrid etc.).  He does seem like a decent bloke though and is pretty funny.  When he was taking the p*ss out of his assistant with his trousers I was howling.

Daniel Levy just seems like a bit of a vain wheeler dealer to me.  Someone who's living the dream of being in and around professional football. He's a bit over familiar with all the players for my expectations of a top level chairman.

The Danny Rose situation was interesting, I found it fascinating to see the "knocking on the manager's door" scenario and though it was quite brave of him to have a conversation with someone like Jose face to face and on such frank terms.  There are plenty of players who I'm sure would have just got their agent to manufacture a move.  It did seem he had his heart set on a move to Milan though and he was like a kid who didn't get his bike on Christmas day when Levy told him there was no offer.

• Like 1

Just not bothered...