Reach position

2 hours ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

In the years we have had him, still don't think anyone is the wiser what is his best position. Would favour him at LWB over oddjob any day.

FM2020 has him as an Inverted Attacking Winger on the right as a natural position. 

Perhaps they know something none of us do!!!!!

3 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

Where is he gonna play this season?

In a 3-5-2 the obvious place for him looks like LWB but he had a horror show there against Swansea. 

Then maybe you’d say centre mid. But you’d say Luongo, Bannan, Brown and maybe Hunt and Fizz ahead of him there. 

So I can see him playing 10 just off Rhodes for the first couple of games unless we get more forwards. 

Oh fizz off

Surely our coaches can see that Reach on the right and Harris left means our forwards (assuming we get some) can’t run onto early crosses. I hate watching our wrong-footed widemen checking back time after time. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Assuming we play 352 I hope to see Reach and Harris as our wing-backs week in week out. I hope we FINALLY see Reach on the left and Harris right.

If we change to 442 sometimes Reach is our best LW by a distance.

Hate him as second striker.

OK in CM in an injury-crisis, but not ideal. 

Left midfield in a 442.

Left wing back in a 343 

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Surely our coaches can see that Reach on the right and Harris left means our forwards (assuming we get some) can’t run onto early crosses. I hate watching our wrong-footed widemen checking back time after time. 

We are not the only team that does this. It’s very common .

He does appear to play more naturally on the left but has probably had more success playing on the right.

In our two best wins last season, away at Boro and Forest he played on the right and created at least 3 of the goals, his long distance goals we all remember came when cutting in from the right.

It is a debate, and depends on how the rest of the team sets up but it isn’t as clear cut as it seems.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Said it this time last year and i will say it again.....unless he adopts a more aggresive physical AND mental approach then his career will fizzle out into "what might have been".

Unless he does this exact thing then we should offload and get what we can.

He's not a row Z merchant that's not part of his nature, give him the ball and let him cut in, cross it or bang one in.

He works hard every game and does makes the tackles just doesn't do the Row Z ones.

Play him in a regular position and he will deliver.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, oldishowl said:

We are not the only team that does this. It’s very common .

He does appear to play more naturally on the left but has probably had more success playing on the right.

In our two best wins last season, away at Boro and Forest he played on the right and created at least 3 of the goals, his long distance goals we all remember came when cutting in from the right.

It is a debate, and depends on how the rest of the team sets up but it isn’t as clear cut as it seems.

Of course. 

But you’ve seen Kadeem’s inability to cross with his left, and his appalling shooting when he cuts in.

Reach puts over a delightful ball from either side, and has scored some belters cutting in.

Over the season we will gain far more by these two playing on their stronger foot. Though I’d love to see them alternating wings somewhat, especially if it’s not working. Reach and Harris offer very different threats, and we should turn that to our advantage.

We also need to consider the role of WB. Neither of these two are Chopper Harris or Mel Sterland, but their defensive job is far harder if they have to block, tackle and clear up the line with their weaker foot.

42 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Of course. 

But you’ve seen Kadeem’s inability to cross with his left, and his appalling shooting when he cuts in.

Reach puts over a delightful ball from either side, and has scored some belters cutting in.

Over the season we will gain far more by these two playing on their stronger foot. Though I’d love to see them alternating wings somewhat, especially if it’s not working. Reach and Harris offer very different threats, and we should turn that to our advantage.

We also need to consider the role of WB. Neither of these two are Chopper Harris or Mel Sterland, but their defensive job is far harder if they have to block, tackle and clear up the line with their weaker foot.

If Reach plays wing back he will play on the left like he did at Swansea .

We have not seen Harris on the right , even when we played 4 at the back, but it’s probably worth a go.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

If Reach plays wing back he will play on the left like he did at Swansea .

We have not seen Harris on the right , even when we played 4 at the back, but it’s probably worth a go.

Played there against Charlton away, was very poor and much better when switched to the left at h/t